Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    As ZMC888 advises beware cheap no name mufflers, especially no name mufflers from Ch!na.

However, lots of motorcycles the world over have, have fitted after market mufflers seemingly without negative consequences.

I've a Akrapovic on my Super Tenere (S10) 1200Z and it runs fine, passed safety inspections without issue and like many other S10's the fitting of a branded after-market muffler works wonders based on the posts on a number of ADV and S10 specific forums anecdotally suggest.

I've a IXIL hex shaped muffler on my 650TR and it runs fine, passed the local safety inspection late last year, including the exhaust outlet gas emission test analysis - which fell below the EU-III maximum levels.

A friend has a Yoshi muffler on his 2006 TMax scoot, and it has runs fine without issue, and the scoot has passed several safety inspections.

Buy a quality after market muffler, here are just a few brands:
    Akrapovic
    Two Brothers
    IXIL

If after-market mufflers were an issue for emissions then the companies wouldn't be in business. Some manufacturers even offer after-market muffler brands as an upgrade option at point of sale through dealers e.g. Suzuki, BMW, Kawasaki et al.

You could buy a Power Commander and visit a tuner with a dyno, but many motorcycle owners don't.

Do a search on you.tube, and you should be able to find a few 650NK videos showing muffler mods.
    Bikerdoc,
    We've been over this before....
    -If you put on a random muffler you will absolutely lose torque and hurt your fuel economy. Improvements are simply psychological, just more noise.
    -If any modification you do to your bike isn't for your actual specific bike it could do all sorts of damage like introducing a lean condition.
    -Almost everyone that is not a complete idiot (where I'm from) only do specific mods for specific bikes. eg they buy a CBR600 power commander and muffler for their CBR600. They don't buy a CBR 600 power commander and exhaust for a gixxer 600 as it might be 'similar'.
    -If you remove a CAT from a bike how the hell is it legal or how can it pass emissions tests?
    -'Runs fine' is an opinion and not factual data.
    Last edited by ZMC888; 04-26-2015 at 03:58 AM.

2. #22 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Bikerdoc,
    We've been over this before....
    -If you put on a random muffler you will absolutely lose torque and hurt your fuel economy. Improvements are simply psychological, just more noise.
    -If any modification you do to your bike isn't for *your actual specific bike* it could do all sorts of damage like introducing a lean condition.
    -Almost everyone that is not a complete idiot (where I'm from) only do specific mods for specific bikes. eg they buy a CBR600 power commander and muffler for their CBR600. They don't buy a CBR 600 power commander and exhaust for a gixxer 600 as it might be 'similar'.
    -If you remove a CAT from a bike how the hell is it legal or how can it pass emissions tests?
    -'Runs fine' is an opinion and not factual data.

You sit on a pedestal as a self-elected expert giving out terrible advice and then feel hurt if you are even non-directly challenged.
    ZMC888...
    Those are your opinions...
    However I do agree, that any modification, especially a modification that isn't bike/model specific MIGHT cause damage or premature wear.
    However, sometimes there are cross-over between a product made for one make/model versus another... experimentation may or may not hurt...
    I wrote of my experience having removed two CAT's from two different motorcycles... S10 and 650TR, and both motorcycles passed emission tests in two different countries... that is fact! I didn't comment on the legality of my decision.

ZMC888 you have your stated position concerning after-market mufflers (of which I am well aware) and I have mine, but don't get personal about it (I note you edited your post since).
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 04-26-2015 at 06:48 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #23 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    ZMC888...
    Those are your opinions...
    However I do agree, that any modification, especially a modification that isn't bike/model specific MIGHT cause damage or premature wear.
    However, sometimes there are cross-over between a product made for one make/model versus another... experimentation may or may not hurt...
    I wrote of my experience having removed two CAT's from two different motorcycles... S10 and 650TR, and both motorcycles passed emission tests in two different countries... that is fact! I didn't comment on the legality of my decision.

ZMC888 you have your stated position concerning after-market mufflers (of which I am well aware) and I have mine, but don't get personal about it (I note you edited your post since).
    You are entitled to believe what you want.

I just don't get your viewpoint or your advice. You've got a probably less experienced younger rider who wants to go faster and get more power. I've got years of experience and I really can't see where I'd need more power on the street especially in a developing country. The thing is with the NK and TR CFMOTO 650s this is unproven territory, and possibly damaging to the bike. Unless you are an expert, I would suggest to leave well alone, as honestly it's just not worth it. Wondering whether the bike will hold up to normal use is question enough. Then we have the fact that, sure it isn't the quickest bike out, but really on the street is anyone that good that they really need an extra 1-2KW on top of what the bike has already? Sure extra power would be nice if you are doing track days, but suggesting someone start and throwing money around for 'experimentation's' sake just seems like bad advice.

4. #24 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    After riding the Doc's TR and comparing his to mine, his bike with the after market exhaust "DID" have more low end grunt! Remember that was after I have ridden my TR for over 13,000km and I rode the Doc's bike for more then 2,000km.
    Yes and the Doc's bike had a little more noise from that IXIL exhaust hehehe but it's not obnoxiously loud, but being louder is not a bad thing at least the dic- heads Chinese people can hear you coming!

I do agree to get the full potential out of an aftermarket exhaust you DO need to re-map the ECU!!
    Last edited by prince666; 04-27-2015 at 03:31 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #25 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    After riding the Doc TR Comparing his to mine his bike with the after market exhaust "DID" had more low end grunt !! And remember that was after I have rode my TR for over 13.000 K and rode the docs bike for more then 2000K . Yes and the bike had more noise hehe , which is not a bad thing at least the dick heads Chinese people can hear you coming more now !

I do agree to get the full potential out of a aftermarket exhaust you DO need to re - map the ECU !!
    There are literally thousands of Harley owners that pull of their quiet stock muffler and slap on a drag racing style straight-thru muffler. They swear that the bike has more low end grunt and more top end power, sounds meaner and so is also safer. The reality is that when the bikes are dyno tested the same bikes are way down on torque and a tad down on power.

I've spent a fair bit of time experimenting with more open mufflers on carb bikes, trying different air filters, changing the jets, doing plug tests raising and lowering needles etc. The thing is on street bikes like a CB500, ER6 etc manufacturers specifically design the bike to sacrifice a bit of KW power and instead invest in NM torque, which is way more important on the the street than KW power and way more fun and safe to use. Most of that tuning for torque is done in the muffler with back pressure. Someone with a new bike has a natural temptation to knock through that 'horrible restrictive muffler' and let the bike breathe, but this is actually a mistake in most cases. Although I would admit that carbon build up in a stock muffler or cat will eventually start to strangle the bike after a few years.

The answer is simply that most likely it's not worth recommending someone spend loads of money on something not designed specifically for their bike especially in the first 20,000kms or so, gains are minimal, retrograde or potentially damaging but to be fair it's unlikely that you can put off a petrol head obsessed with having more power from trying.

6. #26 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Yes ZMC888 you are right - people think because it sounds better therefore it "goes" better this is commonly a fault of most people's understanding but it's fair point.

I feel that I know my TR after 13,000km. How it pulls in each gear and at what RPM!!

I found that the Doc's TR was pulling as much as 500rpm lower to get the same result from the engine IMO that equates to more Toque from the engine.

Based on these results I think I can confirm the Doc's TR with the aftermarket IXIL exhaust had more torque?
    Last edited by prince666; 04-27-2015 at 03:35 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #27 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Yes ZMC888 you are right - people think because it sounds better therefore it "goes" better this is commonly a fault of most people's understanding but it's fair point.

I feel that I know my TR after 13,000km. How it pulls in each gear and at what RPM!!

I found that the Doc's TR was pulling as much as 500rpm lower to get the same result from the engine IMO that equates to more Toque from the engine.

Based on these results I think I can confirm the Doc's TR with the aftermarket IXIL exhaust had more torque?
    Maybe the curve has changed with more initial torque and then a flattening further up the power-band. Maybe there is a gain in power and torque at the expense of fuel economy. Just guesswork without a dyno.

8. #28 Re: Cfmoto 650 Nk New Owner 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Isn't there performance gains through the type of oil one uses?

heh heh heh, snicker, snicker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123