Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Scooters finally banned in Shanghai ??? (i talked to the police) 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi everyone,

In the last few weeks I have been trying to get information on gasoline as well as LPG scooters on this forum and various other sources. Most of the time the information is not trustworthy or simply outdated. So I looked up a number on the official website of the Shanghai Traffic Administration www.shjtaq.com and called them (since my mandarin is not that fluent yet, I had help from a local shanghaiese):

After getting redirected to the phone number, the guy on the phone basically said all sorts of scooters is it gasoline or LPG are banned from the streets in Shanghai, irrespective of inner/ outer ring. . End of conversation.

What a bummer.

My original plan was to get a gas scooter with less than 50cc in order to get the blue license plate for the inner ring for a reasonable price. Yes I am aware of all the other requirements of C1E license, insurance etc... What I still don't know is where to buy that blue 沪A plate and what the current market price is.

Anyone got more information on this?

Best,

Bregenz

2. #2 Re: Scooters finally banned in Shanghai ??? (i talked to the police) 
    C-Moto Regular
    Well, you live in Shanghai so look out your window and you'll see millions of them. The guy on the phone will say they're bannned, but he probably doesn't really know much about it.

I mean I'm no expert but the majority of bikes I see being taken off people are the E-bikes (电动车) if I was you, I'd just get a crappy 50cc and drive around shanghai with it. I was speaking to my chinese neighbor about this scooter the other day and I asked him about registration etc. He replied "what registration?" I then moved on to say his bike has a plate and he just laughed and said it's fake. He's been riding that scooter for about 6 years now and he's never had any problems.

Anyway, just letting you know of the story and the current situation I know of in shanghai. If anything the most accidents are on ebikes I feel.

3. #3 Re: Scooters finally banned in Shanghai ??? (i talked to the police) 
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshmakesnoise View Post
    Well, you live in Shanghai so look out your window and you'll see millions of them. The guy on the phone will say they're bannned, but he probably doesn't really know much about it.

I mean I'm no expert but the majority of bikes I see being taken off people are the E-bikes (电动车) if I was you, I'd just get a crappy 50cc and drive around shanghai with it. I was speaking to my chinese neighbor about this scooter the other day and I asked him about registration etc. He replied "what registration?" I then moved on to say his bike has a plate and he just laughed and said it's fake. He's been riding that scooter for about 6 years now and he's never had any problems.

Anyway, just letting you know of the story and the current situation I know of in shanghai. If anything the most accidents are on ebikes I feel.
    For Shanghai riders my opinion is:

1. Buy a scooter or motorcycle from outside Shanghai if you have any connections. Get it legally plated and insured.
    2. Get a Chinese motorcycle license IF they graciously allow you to transfer your home one, if not just transfer a car one or carry around a translation of your home license and your home license. (although remember that you could get sent to a detention center for 7 days if you don't have a license worst case scenario).
    3. Ride anywhere you freaking well like in Shanghai. Remember to never look directly at cops, always wear a helmet, turn right on red lights and carry 200 yuan in cash if you have to pay a fine.

Job done

4. #4 Re: Scooters finally banned in Shanghai ??? (i talked to the police) 
    i was around the Jangsu metro,, stopped to eat and saw soooo many gas scooters running around, and even a large moto , most are old knocked around but i saw more than i could count as i sat on a corner eating at a bakery. I did see a foreigner on a new gas scooter, and other scooters as well,,, many foreigners around there..dont know why. didnt see plates though
    this was on 9/19/2015