Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Noob
    Pal you're right,
    I've checked with SHA police last week. 200 kuai fine +3 points...

2. #12 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Regular
    In what situation would demerit points not be given for traffic offences?

I think even parking is give demerit points in China.

3. #13 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey guys, i'm planning to move to Shanghai from Chengdu, Sichuan province. I've considering buying the bike and registering it in Chengdu before I move. I know there is a 200rmb fine for driving in restricted areas. With a valid MC licence and waidi registration, I wonder if there are any sort of legal repercussions in the case of an accident if it happens while you are riding in a restricted area. Anybody know?

4. #14 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jon0830 View Post
    Hey guys, i'm planning to move to Shanghai from Chengdu, Sichuan province. I've considering buying the bike and registering it in Chengdu before I move. I know there is a 200rmb fine for driving in restricted areas. With a valid MC licence and waidi registration, I wonder if there are any sort of legal repercussions in the case of an accident if it happens while you are riding in a restricted area. Anybody know?
    Do not think of doing this unless you don't care much for your bike. The fine is one thing, but there is demerit points and also the police can confiscate your bike and charge you the shipping and handling fees back to original registration. If you have a fake license then it will just be confiscation and also fines.

This has happened and is occurring more and more in the summer. Seems to get better in the fall in winter months though.

5. #15 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Hok,

so you think buying the motorbike in Shanghai and getting a HU C plate would be the way to go?

6. #16 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Regular
    Yes Hu C is the way to go as that is what I am using. I ride regularly in City limits for about 1 year now, and was stopped at a breathalyzer road block they said you have Hu C and I said Yes I'm just passing through. Other times I am just ignored.

I have had a couple gas station ladies refuse to add gas for me, but I just went to a different person AT the SAME gas station and they will do it.

Also I hear the 1st registration has to be in Shanghai as new to get a registration in shanghai. Also you can't change a Hu A to a Hu C or viceversa... pain in the ass..

7. #17 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks a lot for the info Hok, I'm glad to hear that riding legal in Shanghai is still somewhat feasible. Maybe we can rider together after I move there.

so you mean the motorbike must be purchased new in SH in order to get a C plate? May I ask how much you paid for your C plate?

Also, I tried checking on the map, the geographic restrictions for C plates, but since I dont' know SH very well, it's hard to get a good feel for how restricted it really is. Do Hu C restrictions allow you to get around some decent places in SH or is it just the boonies? Thanks again

8. #18 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hok View Post
    Yes Hu C is the way to go as that is what I am using. I ride regularly in City limits for about 1 year now, and was stopped at a breathalyzer road block they said you have Hu C and I said Yes I'm just passing through. Other times I am just ignored.
    Traffic police are more interested in alcohol related driving/riding offenders than the plate. But, it does depend on the nature of the targeted check-point. I've ridden multiple times in SH with one or other of my Ningbo plated bikes, and most of the time, never been stopped or hassled by officialdo0m. Never been refused fuel in SH despite having an 'out-of-town' plate. The few times I have been stopped or questioned by the local traffic PSB in SH or other places where motorcycle restrictions apply, I've simply acted friendly, smiled, laughed/chuckled and talked with the local constabulary, answered any questions (where are you from, where are you going, how much, how long you lived here etc). All without incident and never got a ticket. My last ride in SH, I rode a Ningbo plated bike though SH CBD (Hengshan Rd, the Bund, People's Square, Nanjing Dong Lu & Hua Hai Lu), all generally by accident, despite having lived very close to the area (1km from Baoshan Lu MRT Line 3 & 1km from Nanjing Dong Lu). SH has changed so much so I rode round lost half the time, not being able to recognise areas I frequently rode round when I lived in 'SHangers'.

YMMV!

I have had a couple gas station ladies refuse to add gas for me, but I just went to a different person AT the SAME gas station and they will do it.
    The only time I have almost been refused petrol was on my ride through YunNan riding on the Expressway (GaoSuGong Lu) riding from Ningbo - Thailand and return this past 2nd Jan- 2nd March 2015. Always managed to talk my way through the few times this occurred. Not that I was worried, I was carrying an extra 5L (plastic!) petrol container full of petrol. What annoyed me was the use of the stupid tea pots. One or two petrol stations either had no tea pot (since MC's aren't meant to be ridden on the Expressway). One, the young lady attendant went into a back room and found a dust covered new tea pot that obviously had never been used. The other service station without said tea pot told me to go to the next petrol station... yada yada yada. In all cases, I simply refuelled my bike myself, using my 5L plastic fuel container, then used the tea pot to refill said plastic container. No way I was going to refuel my BMW GS from a bloody tea pot. This is one of the (many) reasons why Ch!na is still a 'developing' country no matter all the glitz and glamour, tall buildings and flash cars. Too many 'Nong's'...

YMMV!

Also I hear the 1st registration has to be in Shanghai as new to get a registration in shanghai. Also you can't change a Hu A to a Hu C or viceversa... pain in the ass..
    Don't think that is the case. I sold a bike that I owned since new in Ningbo, with a Ningbo district plate, to a German guy living in SH for many years. I was able to assist him to get the bike re-plated with a Ningbo district plate (since change of registered ownership involves returning original plate and new plate issued - this can differ by location or jurisdiction). The new owner transported his 'new' bike complete with new Ningbo plate to SH via company truck. In SH he rode the bike with the Ningbo plate without issue for nearly two years before he subsequently bought a Hu 'C' plate (he lived in the SH outskirts) upon which he transferred the plate with the local SH Traffic Management Bureau without too much difficulty.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #19 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Regular
    @biker
    Thanks for the feedback bikerdoc. As I read in many of your threads (very informative btw). I think it really is case by case.

For my experiences I was quite shocked as to why the women wouldn't refuel me, but as I spoke with the guy at the adjacent pump he said that cops come by time to time and speak with the workers and say that if they are caught refueling an out of town plate or restricted plate in a restricted area they can get fined, but the guy said he has worked at the station for 2 years and never seen it happen. He then asked me how much I bought my bike for... I don't know why but I get asked all the time at the pump.

A local friend who scoots around in a Taobao 3000 kuai dirt bike said he gets flat out refused to add fuel at 50% of the time as he lives in Jingan.

As for the plate transfer that sounds promising, however we use the same agent that ducati and BMW use occasionally (as they use more than 1) and the agent told us it can't be done. Because my friend bought a used Harley that had an Hu A and we tried to transfer to Hu C. However they were locals. Do you think this has anything to do with it? Also when was the bike you sold transferred to Hu C. We just tried the Harley transfer in late April.

@jon
    Hu C at the Agent we use is 26k RMB right now. even the Blue Hu A (50cc or less) is 80k.... crazy. I wish I bought my Hu A when I had the chance.
    But honestly, if you are a visitor driving around with out of town plates is ok. But if you plan to live here and bike around I would recommend getting the Hu C. but if you just weekend and plan going out of town on those days you can get by with a out of town I guess.

Sure Jon, can ride anytime. just pm me your contact when your here.

10. #20 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hok. I'm not sure but I think it is near on impossible to swap a Hu A/B to the outer suburbs Hu C plate. It might be possible if one can show they definitely live outside the Hu A/B catchment. But the Shanghai motorcycle plate business is complex/complicated, not least of which by the fact that the plates can be sold/traded separate to a specific motorcycle, which differs from most other jurisdictions. Availability of plates is also a major contributing factor to such complexities too IMO.
    The rules may have changed in regards to a motorcycle having been first registered/plated outside of the big SH. But there's issues and forces at play around transparency and consistency. One can get a different response from the same entity or even person on a different time/day. In my experience, it helps to have someone who knows how to talk and work the system, usually of the female persuasion and local
    The experience I recount in my post above about the bike I sold to a SH based foreigner was more than several years ago, so likely rules have changed. But he was also pretty high up in a fairly big company, likely surrounded by locals who knew how to get things done and impossible, made possible. Guanxi.

This I've experienced and seen work first hand. When I bought my new BMW GS last year (~Aug 2014) from BMW Motorrad SH, I first took the bike to the local Traffic Management Bureau PSB for the preliminaries. Turns out the front wire wheel was a different size than that listed in the Traffic Management database. Though this may have been influenced by the model selection I was faced with when making a choice in the Tax Bureau database - where they have listed many BMW GS's, but nothing to differentiate the specific model from another within the category - so selection is blind. This may or may not have had an influence on what the PSB then had the bike model listed as. This meant I had to get the bike 'authenticated' which was not a big deal. The PSB gave me a temporary paper licence plate in the interim.

After the authentication was completed elsewhere, instead of me having to take the bike back to the Traffic Management PSB - a car load of 5 PSB officers arrived in a big Buick at my villa to sort things out, with my GS in the garage, surrounded by my 4 other motorcycles. They left with the authentication documents and dealt with everything. Some days later they returned, and allowed me to select the location to affix new label (which had been translated into Ch!nese) somewhere on the bike.
    Some weeks passed, then the day before the limitation for which the bike could be plated fully expired, the head of the PSB called and let me know (through my assistant) of this fact, asking me to come by (without the bike) and picking up my special (numbered) licence plate with documents etc. This means that the process of when the bike starts going through for the plate and the date by which it must be fully plated is fixed. This also means that a person buying a motorcycle officially with an official fapiao also has limitations on the time frame as to when they are allowed to use that fapiao to get the first plate. Also the name on the fapiao is important. Either of these two factors can have a significant impact on any subsequent buyer/owner wanting to plate a bike that has not already been previously plated. There are some guys that buy a bike, get the fapiao but never get a plate, who subsequently sell the new bike to another party. This can create problems for the new buyer attempting to plate the bike for the first time.

All good in the woods. The simple/easy things are complicated/difficult, while the complicated/difficult things are simple/easy. TIC the LFZ.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast