Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. #21 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    Went to get my Jialing 600 inspected last week, and was told that the price for Hu A is now above 180K, six times the cost of JL 600 new.

2. #22 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    Went to get my Jialing 600 inspected last week, and was told that the price for Hu A is now above 180K, six times the cost of JL 600 new.
    Shit that big money was told at my local inspection office new plate on my bike was 250RMB 2 tanks of fuel and i rode all over SH with it the other week . life is a bitch and then you marry one
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #23 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Regular
    First time got stopped by a Traffic police in city limits. He saw I was a Hu C and very aggressively stopped me at a traffic light and was going to issue me a ticket for driving in inner city with Hu C plates. I was telling him I was just on my way to the yangpu bridge to get to pudong but he didn't care. Then he saw my passport is Canadian and said you are Canadian? Suggested I don't drive motorcycle in China. and gave me back my documents and left... Seems they are getting a bit stricter in Fall seasons. My local friend got a ticket for Hu C two weeks ago...

4. #24 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    It's a binge and purge system. They will go anal and to the 'letter of the law' for a few weeks then they will go corrupt and lax for 6 months. Just China, don't stress it. Wrong time, wrong place.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

5. #25 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    It's a binge and purge system. They will go anal and to the 'letter of the law' for a few weeks then they will go corrupt and lax for 6 months. Just China, don't stress it. Wrong time, wrong place.
    Exactly
    Similar events occurring here too. Every morning and afternoon around peak periods Police at every intersection enforcing both written and unwritten traffic law's it seems. Even cycle lanes (which are 2 car widths wide) any bicycle ebike or other vehicles proceeding counter to the flow of the parallel motor vehicle roadway are being redirected back so that they flow in the same direction as the motor vehicle lane. Even during lunchtime there are lots of Police at intersections. This has been happening for the last couple of weeks during weekdays.

When the Police pack it in for the day then the usual status-quo...chaos descends particularly in regards to poor parking behaviour and cycles and ebikes riding in every direction on cycle lanes. Thankfully the cycle lanes here are massively wide so doesn't cause too much aggro.

These types of enforcement actions are temporary in nature and once the authorities relent the usual etiquette prevails.

Might be a concerted effort in the run up to the October week holiday.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #26 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Official 'People's Republic of China on Road Traffic Safety Law' concerning motorcycle access/use of China's extensive Expressway network.

My apologies, I had been meaning to get this translation completed and posted on MCM long before now - but other priorities on the Totem pole had preference.

骑摩托不戴头盔记2分罚200
    Riding a motorcycle without wearing a helmet, violators are subject to two demerit points penalty on their PRC Drivers License (PRC-D/L) and a 200CNY fine.

2015-06-03 腾讯汽车
    2015-06-03 QQ Auto News.

[腾 讯汽车 用车报道] 很多人可能存在这样的疑问:摩托车到底能不能上高速?根据《中华人民共和国道路交通安全法》第六十七条规定 :行人、非机动车、拖拉机、轮式专用机械车、铰 接式客车、全挂拖斗车以及其他设计最高时速低于七十公里的机动车,不得进入高速公路, 以上规定中并没有包含禁止摩托车。所以摩托车是可以合法上高速公路行驶的。
    那么摩托车上高速应该注意哪些注意事项?

[QQ News Auto Report] a number of motorcyclists and Expressway users question: Can a high-speed motorcycle on the China Expressway network?

According to 'People's Republic of China on Road Traffic Safety Law' Article 67 stipulates: pedestrians, non-motorised vehicles, tractors, special wheeled mechanical vehicles, articulated buses, full trailers and other designed vehicles with a maximum speed < 70km/h - (such vehicles) are forbidden from entering the Expressway. Accordingly the above provisions did not contain explicit wording that specifically bans motorcycles from Expressways. Consequently legally motorcycles may travel on Expressways; provided
    (please read on & note paragraph 5),

1. 最外侧行驶另 外根据《中华人民共和国道路交通安全法实施条例》第五节第七十八条规定:高速公路应当标明车道的行驶速度, 最高车速不得超过120公里/小时,最低车速不 得低于60公里/小时。在高速公路上行驶的小型载客汽车最高车速不得超过120公里/小时,其他机动车不得超过100公里/小时, 摩托车不得超过80公里/小时。根据此条规定的速度限制,摩托车只能在高速路最外侧车道行驶,如果违反以上规定,在高速公路超速或不 按规定道路行驶的,将 被处以200元罚款、扣6分。

1. Motorcycles must be ridden on the outermost right lane, according to the provisions of Article 78 of Section V, 'People's Republic of China on Road Traffic Safety Law Implementing Rules': the lane should be marked vehicular driving lane with applicable highway speed, the maximum speed should not exceed 120 km/h, the minimum speed should not be <60 km/h. On Expressways small passenger cars must not exceed the maximum posted speed limit of 120 km/h, whereas other motor vehicles shall not exceed 100 km/h, motorcycles shall not exceed 80 km/h. This provision is based on the set/prescribed speed limits, given that motorcycles are only to ridden in the outermost (right) vehicular driving lane designated on the Expressway. Violation of the above provisions, on any Expressway for speeding or failing to follow the road rules, violators will be fined 200CNY, and have 6 points deducted from their driver's license. It would be worth noting that the outer most right lane, would apply to a vehicular lane and not therefore the emergency breakdown lane or 'shoulder' - this is a possible item of conflict, as it would likely be interpreted differently.

2.摩托车在高速行驶不得载人
    根据《中华人民共和国道路交通安全法实施条例》第五节第八十三条规定:在高速公路上行驶的载货汽车车厢不得 载人。两轮摩托车在高速公路行驶时不得载人。

2. Motorcycle entering/riding on Expressways not to carry pillion passenger.
    According to the provisions of section V of Article 83, 'People's Republic of China on Road Traffic Safety Law Implementing Rules': on Expressways, motorcycles can only be ridden by a rider and carriage of pillion passengers is forbidden (even where such is designated on the vehicle registration certificate).

3.摩托车过卡也收费
    根据《重大节假日免收小型客车通行费实施方案》规定,除了在特定的节假日免费通行外,其他时间按7座以下小 客车计费标准缴费。也就是说在非免费通行期间,摩托车在上高速公路行驶前也需在收费站领取通行卡,收费标准 按7坐以下的小客车标准收费。

3. Motorcycle Expressway access (toll) - card charges.
    According to 'major holidays waiver small passenger car toll plan' provision; that in addition to free passage during designated national holiday periods, at all other times vehicles registered to carry seven passengers or less shall be subject to the standard Expressway toll fee payment. That is during the non-free passage periods of time (national holidays), motorcycles entering onto the Expressway also need to obtain Expressway 'access card' (toll card) at the toll station of entry, and will be subject to the standard charges/fare set for the aforementioned small passenger vehicles. In other words, Expressways that allow motorcycle entry require the rider to stop and collect a toll card upon entry at a 'Toll Station'. The Expressway card (toll card) is required to be returned at the exiting 'Toll Station' with applicable fees paid. The applicable fees for a motorcycle are the same as those charged for a small passenger vehicle (7 seats or less).

4.一定要穿戴头盔、护具
    【新机动车驾驶证申领管理办法】规定,驾驶摩托车未戴头盔,扣2分,罚款200元。

4. Motorcyclists must always wear a helmet when operating a motorcycle, and are recommended to wear motorcycle protective clothing/gear.
    [New motor vehicle driver's license to apply management practices] regulations, motorcyclists not wearing helmets are subject to penalty of;
    deduction of 2 demerit points on violators PRC Drivers License (PRC-D/L), and a fine of 200NCNY.

5.注意通行标志
    一定要看收费站入口前,有无禁止摩托车通行标志,有禁行标志,切勿通行。若被高速公路交警大队的交警拦下, 会根据【中华人民共和国道路交通安全法】39条,给开据扣2分,罚款200元的罚单。

5. Traffic signs at Expressway Entry/On-ramp
    At the entrance to Expressway toll stations, numerous traffic sign designate what vehicles or other potential Expressway users are forbidden etc. A sign that forbids motorcycle entry as denoted by a round sign, depicting a motorcycle silhouette in black with white background, with a red circle and red diagonal line (meaning a 'forbidden' sign, do not pass/enter). If motorcycles enter such Expressways in violation of such a sign and the rider of a motorcycle is subsequently stopped by traffic police /highway traffic police within the banned section, shall according to People's Republic of China on Road Traffic Safety Law [39], may be subject to penalty of; deduction of 2 demerit points on violators drivers license, and a fine of 200CNY.

6.其他注意事项
    超车前需打左转向灯,在左侧车道超车,待超车后关闭左转向灯;摩托车出现故障,需打双闪灯或右转向灯,停泊 在应急车道,排除故障。中途若有事和休息,需到服务区。

6. Other Considerations
    Overtaking/passing should only occur in the left hand lane of a vehicle to be overtaken/passed. Before initiating the overtaking/passing manoeuvre, the motorcyclist is required to indicate using the motorcycle left turn indicator/signal, prior to moving into the left lane to overtake/pass traffic. Once the overtaking/passing manoeuvre is completed the motorcyclist should use the right hand turn indicator/signal and move into the right hand lane. Should the motorcycle break-down, the rider should activate/switch on the motorcycles hazard lights (where fitted) or use the right hand indicator/turn signal, and/or stop/move the motorcycle to the emergency lane (right Expressway shoulder), before troubleshooting the cause of the motorcycle breakdown. If riding a long distance the rider should stop halfway and rest in the designated 'service areas'.

Source
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-02-2016 at 03:25 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #27 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Regular
    Awesome post bikerdoc... very valuable information. Though some police probably don't even know

8. #28 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    Quote Originally Posted by Hok View Post
    Awesome post bikerdoc... very valuable information. Though some police probably don't even know
    I never stop to ask ! And never will !
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #29 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey guys, I want to pick up this thread for some updated info if anyone has some. Moving to Shanghai in the summer, and wondering if I should take my 京B plated GW250 with me, or just sell it here in BJ? I'm not planning on riding it a ton in SH, but the occasional weekend ride might be nice. Am I asking for trouble, though, cruising around SH with a BJ plate? Will I even be able to get petrol? Thanks for the thoughts.

10. #30 Re: Shanghai Motorcycle restricted area(s). 
    C-Moto Regular
    This is very difficult to answer. However, I would just tell you the situation now in SH. At 7:30 am to 10:30 am Mid-day and then 430 to 7pm there are traffic cops at virtually every major (or mid-high traffic corners). Even on Sundays Inner ring this happens.

The law has clearly stated that no outside plated motorcycles are allowed in SH city limits. There is some videos here and there of the police stopping truck loads of scooters and motorcycles at the city boarder. If you ride in city limits you will be stopped and you will get penalized (list and list of real world examples) IE there is likely no more riding around for 2 years without getting caught and everything is fine.

However, personally it depends on where you live... if you live in Min Hang and you don't ride everyday and just take the bike out on weekends to Zhejiang area, I would say I would take the risk. If you live anywhere within mid ring... no... But I would keep the 京B plate and get some cheapass bike to put it on or just buy a new bike with Hu C... depends on your budget...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123