Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Newcomer introducing and seeking for advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey everybody,
    Im new to the forum, new to Shanghai and a junior with mbikes (26y).
    Though, I ld calll myself a two wheel lover. So far, I had a couple of trips in India, Thailand, Switzerland and Germany.
    Back in Switzerland and Germany I had 3 bikes so far. My first driving pott was a Daelim 125, then I replaced it with a Suzuki LS650 Savage. After a few years I spent a year in the Swiss mountains and enjoyed with small 150cc KTM, which was enough for my needs.

I recently spent a while in South Korea before I moved to Shanghai, where I was hoping to finally get another motorbike.
    Now that I figured the prices for plates, I am pretty disappointed, but I dont want to give up on it.
    Since I dont want to wait for several months, my budget is pretty limited and I was wondering if i could get any bike (without a plate) for around 10k I know... I know.... but I saw quite "okay""chinese mbikes, like the Yingang 300cc that are already pretty cheap when they are new. Now I was hoping to maybe find a second hand one, drive it for a one or two month without plate and then get a c plate. But since I was digging through the forum and other sources, I found that most used bikes come with plates already (and mostly A or B distr.)

I also tried to find info on "deferred payment" like monthly 5k or sth, but in China... it doesnt seem to exist. Or are there some expats, who would agree on a contract like that?

I really dont want to end up riding an electric scooter -.-

Appreciate any suggestions and Im glad to found this forum with loads of useful info.
    Thanks for that, Arni

2. #2 Re: Newcomer introducing and seeking for advice 
    Arni, depends on what you want to do....

I wouldn't try riding without a plate, simply because that means riding without insurance. Insurance in China is only 3rd party injury, but it can be a godsend. In China rules are not set by fault, and are by size only so if you hit a smaller vehicle or they hit you no matter how dumb they were driving, (cycle, ebike, pedestrian etc) they will think Chinese New Year has come early and try to milk you for all the cash you have.

So if you want to save money get an out town Zhejiang or Jiangsu plated bike with insurance and avoid the cops if you can. Really you also should get a Chinese motorcycle license as foreign licenses and International driving permits are not legal, but I heard reports that it is very hard, expensive or not possible for foreigners to get new Chinese licenses in some places at the moment.

In your situation I'd probably buy an ebike with a very large motor.

3. #3 Re: Newcomer introducing and seeking for advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    Ye I see, safety first. Just cant stop the itchy hands.
    I also heard from my college that foreigners involved in an accident, always get the bill.

What could happen if I get a plate out of town but the cops would notice?!
    That mbikes smaller than 250cc do not require a lisence is a myth? I recently found that on some other hp....

4. #4 Re: Newcomer introducing and seeking for advice 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Hi Arni, I'd echo ZMC888's advice.
    Don't be sucked into anything rash, there are lots of traps for young or inexperienced players.
    Cycling or riding a slower eBike (limit your temptation to speed or race), just so you can get to grips with the Logic Free Zone (LFZ) road user behavior and semantics would be a good start until to you feel ready to move into motorcycle ownership.
    In "China everything is just for looking - scratch beneath the veneer, as nothing is as it seems, be[A]ware the smoke and mirrors' my proverb!
    If you haven't go read this thread SH MC restricted areas so you can get a handle on SH versus out-of-town plates.
    Also while you may see many other riders breaking the rules day in and day out, don't be lulled into a false sense of security or sense of entitlement or normality, as you may just find yourself on the wrong or receiving end of whatever.

There are a few cases of foreigners being fleeced because they broke the rules/laws. However being a foreigner and being involved in an accident doesn't automatically mean liability - I've had my share of accidents/crashes and also been witness to others, some involving other local friends. The key is being legal; licensed and insured.

First step is obtaining your motorcycle endorsed Ch!nese driver licence.
    Next step is get experience with the LFZ mentality.
    Following step, move into the out skirts of SH or have access to an outer suburb or out-of-town address, or work out how you can deal with the contentious licence plate.
    When you are ready to look or explore MC options, remember MCM has a Bike Market Classifieds section.

Plus it would not hurt to read MCM, as there are lots of information in some threads you might never think would be relevant - some are gems or goldmines of info...
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

5. #5 Re: Newcomer introducing and seeking for advice 
    C-Moto Noob
    Ye I heard about the painful LFZ, but looking closer on it, the 200 rmb fine is actually acceptable.
    Thanks for your advice so far. Though I will try to figure out the most legal, save and cheapest way to get my MC :) Having sth electric will be my last choice.

Furtunately Im living in Minhang, what should make the C plate (still 14k) an option for me.
    The MCM Bike Market shows older selling posts with really interesting deals. Hope sth s coming up soon :)

Greets, Arni

6. #6 Re: Newcomer introducing and seeking for advice 
    Quote Originally Posted by Arni View Post
    I also heard from my college that foreigners involved in an accident, always get the bill.
    I've never lived in Shanghai but I have 4 foreign friends who have been paid money when they were hit by cars. One ebike, three on motorcycles, so that probably is nonsense.

That mbikes smaller than 250cc do not require a lisence is a myth?
    Total myth. Even need licenses for anything over 200 watts.

7. #7 Re: Newcomer introducing and seeking for advice 
    IMO the Chinese's police are fair in regards to foreign people involved in motor accidents, in nearly 5 years now in China i have only had 2 ?

1. Was 100% not my fault but police decided it was 95% the other drivers fault and 5% mine ???, My legal bike was insured so my insurance paid out for the other peoples hospital bills and there had to pay Cash for all my damage to my bike.

I had to ask the police what 5% did I do wrong? he looked at me with staring eyes and said "you didn't use your horn" (not that I had time to use ) ok but how do you know that ? he looked again at me with his staring eyes and said , I asked the other bike rider did he hear a horn ?? to which the other person said " NO" if I had I would not of cut in front of me ? TIC.

I am happy with that out come ..

2. just happen a few weeks ago coming back from Thailand to Hainan on my Yamaha, this one was 100% my fault heheh .

After riding a few days back in China it come as a shock how bad people drive/ride here and things was getting to me a bit with the consent bad behaviour and consistence dangers you face when you ride on the roads here in China, I think it was about the 5th time I nearly had to leave the road to miss a oncoming car on the my side of the road.

But this time I just loosed it and through a bottle of water I had in one of those bottle holders you clamp to your handle bars, unaware it had cracked his windscreen heheh.

I rode for about 20 km to stop for a new bottle of water and unaware the other car was chasing after me ? .

The other person pull up behind my bike, and 3 guys got out the car, my bike was blocked in so I had no were to go, so shit I just act dumb and see were this goes, The 3 guys was ok not aggressive and was saying that I broke their windscreen, did I and why would I do that I asked? "I call the police the man said " ok I said call them, this will be interesting to see how this pans out I am thinking to my self .

Now you will soon find out most Chinese people are nosey parkers and when there is a accident on the road especially when a "laowai" is involved a big crowd of people gather, in this case maybe about 50 people was looking on to see what happens when the police arrive.

Police in China don't rush so it took about 1 hours before the police arrived, 3 police got out the car and started to look about, on seeing there was a laowai involved made things harder to sort out.

Now from what I could pick up from what the other guy was saying happen, he just said I through a bottle at his car for no reason ??? The police asked me did I do that??? I was carful in not saying "NO" but asked "why" would I do that? and why would I through it left into cars when it's on my right and would be more easy to lop it right into the dirt ?? . yes we can't work it out either said the police man , maybe he is not telling you the truth I said, ask him again what happen ? the police asked at this point for me to pay money so we can all go on our way ?? I just looked and smiled and said NO.

He smiled back and said ok , the police went and questioned him again on what happen and why would this person do this for no reason.

The truth came out now and he told them how he was on the wrong side of the road trying to pass some other cars and maybe it cause me to take action to stop a head on ??, all the time the 50 or so people was hearing all what was said, his comments cause a uproar amongst the people around who then started to accused him of a mad man who should not be allowed to drive on the road, I was just standing smiling at all what was going on around me, the police had heard all their needed to hear and came over to me with a big smile and said you no pay you go and be careful .

So I think the Chinese police are fair IMO but remember TIC

As the Doc pointed out ......The key is being legal; licensed and insured.

with no 2 the police only asked to see my passport to check my visa which i had luckly with me .... no check DL or bike details which i had also with me.

Last edited by prince666; 05-06-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #8 Re: Newcomer introducing and seeking for advice 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Arni View Post
    Ye I heard about the painful LFZ, but looking closer on it, the 200 rmb fine is actually acceptable.
    Thanks for your advice so far. Though I will try to figure out the most legal, save and cheapest way to get my MC :) Having sth electric will be my last choice.

Furtunately Im living in Minhang, what should make the C plate (still 14k) an option for me.
    The MCM Bike Market shows older selling posts with really interesting deals. Hope sth s coming up soon :)

Greets, Arni
    If you need help with getting a outer province plate then I can help you if you need the help that is. Welcome to Shanghai btw, if you need help with Chinese you can also give me a shout.

Take it easy and the best of luck.

Josh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    IMO the Chinese's police are fair in regards to foreign people involved in motor accidents, in nearly 5 years now in China i have only had 2 ?

1. Was 100% not my fault but police decided it was 95% the other drivers fault and 5% mine ???, My legal bike was insured so my insurance paid out for the other peoples hospital bills and there had to pay Cash for all my damage to my bike.

I had to ask the police what 5% did I do wrong? he looked at me with staring eyes and said "you didn't use your horn" (not that I had time to use ) ok but how do you know that ? he looked again at me with his staring eyes and said , I asked the other bike rider did he hear a horn ?? to which the other person said " NO" if I had I would not of cut in front of me ? TIC.

I am happy with that out come ..

2. just happen a few weeks ago coming back from Thailand to Hainan on my Yamaha, this one was 100% my fault heheh .

After riding a few days back in China it come as a shock how bad people drive/ride here and things was getting to me a bit with the consent bad behaviour and consistence dangers you face when you ride on the roads here in China, I think it was about the 5th time I nearly had to leave the road to miss a oncoming car on the my side of the road.

But this time I just loosed it and through a bottle of water I had in one of those bottle holders you clamp to your handle bars, unaware it had cracked his windscreen heheh.

I rode for about 20 km to stop for a new bottle of water and unaware the other car was chasing after me ? .

The other person pull up behind my bike, and 3 guys got out the car, my bike was blocked in so I had no were to go, so shit I just act dumb and see were this goes, The 3 guys was ok not aggressive and was saying that I broke their windscreen, did I and why would I do that I asked? "I call the police the man said " ok I said call them, this will be interesting to see how this pans out I am thinking to my self .

Now you will soon find out most Chinese people are nosey parkers and when there is a accident on the road especially when a "laowai" is involved a big crowd of people gather, in this case maybe about 50 people was looking on to see what happens when the police arrive.

Police in China don't rush so it took about 1 hours before the police arrived, 3 police got out the car and started to look about, on seeing there was a laowai involved made things harder to sort out.

Now from what I could pick up from what the other guy was saying happen, he just said I through a bottle at his car for no reason ??? The police asked me did I do that??? I was carful in not saying "NO" but asked "why" would I do that? and why would I through it left into cars when it's on my right and would be more easy to lop it right into the dirt ?? . yes we can't work it out either said the police man , maybe he is not telling you the truth I said, ask him again what happen ? the police asked at this point for me to pay money so we can all go on our way ?? I just looked and smiled and said NO.

He smiled back and said ok , the police went and questioned him again on what happen and why would this person do this for no reason.

The truth came out now and he told them how he was on the wrong side of the road trying to pass some other cars and maybe it cause me to take action to stop a head on ??, all the time the 50 or so people was hearing all what was said, his comments cause a uproar amongst the people around who then started to accused him of a mad man who should not be allowed to drive on the road, I was just standing smiling at all what was going on around me, the police had heard all their needed to hear and came over to me with a big smile and said you no pay you go and be careful .

So I think the Chinese police are fair IMO but remember TIC

As the Doc pointed out ......The key is being legal; licensed and insured.

with no 2 the police only asked to see my passport to check my visa which i had luckly with me .... no check DL or bike details which i had also with me.

I had a big bus do the same - I chased him and cut the bus off
    Punched his windscreen and smashed it the rushed off!