Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Hi! Riding school in China 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi, have done some more research. Apparently the moto exam can be done in English.

First i need to go to a place to get an application form and have a health check. Line 1 in the poster:

IMG_20150507_130419.jpg

Then I go to a place called xinzhuang centre to do the computer test. After passing that, go to the riding school to get practice and finally pass the riding exam which takes about 3 months.

Seems quite straight forward. I'm not sure how big the question pool is for the E licence only exam, some say just 100 but i think they are confused about that. Unfortunately i don't have an iphone so hoping to find an android app to help me learn the questions and answers. By far the hardest part will be finding an up-to-date pool of questions for the exam. Have no idea if it is entirely separate from a car exam, or if its a mixture etc.

Are there any 250cc bikes legal here with as above poster mentioned, seat height 850mm to 900mm? The dual sport bike is a bit of a turn off for me personally. Also just because the seat is higher doesn't mean i'll be any less crouched on it. Is it possible to get some kind of foot peg lowering device attached to the YS250?

First time going to the riding school... confusing experience. Lady was asleep at the counter, just pointed to a sign on the wall in photo above, and said something like 'very difficult for foreigner to get a licence, if u don't understand chinese can't pass written exam'. Doesn't put me off, i expected that kind of welcome. Apparently the training isn't done on a real motorbike but some kind of semi-automatic bike which you just press on a pedal to change gear, so once i actually have my bike i'll have to learn how to ride it off the roads in some training area. When i first got my e-bike i just spent a bit of time riding around the basement parking of my complex, very soon i was not just comfortable with it on the streets but upgraded it to be way faster ;)

Just to make sure, i'm not here on a tourist or business visa, my passport gets a 6 month 'temporary residence permit' twice a year stamped in it.

For my own protection, going to mount a camera on the front and rear of the bike. Have been in a low speed crash (less than 10kph) and got raped by the woman for compensation. I honked before passing her several times, plenty of room on the left to pass her, then just as passing she veered left into me, her handle bars hitting mine making us both crash.

Of course, me being a foreigner, she feigned injury, went to hospital etc etc. At the police station she produced more than 2 dozen fapiao's, including in-patient hospital treatment, taxi fares, meals (yep, meals), clothing fa piaos. Time taken off work letter. Not going to rant but she wasn't injured at all, not even a tear in her pantyhose, and she rode her own e-bike to hospital.

The funny thing was (she got 6k from me in the end!) was that she also wanted to sue me for post traumatic stress disorder, and when i told her she's extorting me, she asked the police to make a court case for libel. I was cut in the crash, bloodied jeans, so i asked her to pay for new jeans to which she replied 'i won't unless you have a fapiao for your jeans'. Suffice to say i got no compensation, but learnt that having a camera is essential here. Might not do much legal wise since this is China, but at least they can't outright lie and say the age old 'ta kai tai kuai le!'. The back wheel of my bike ended up 40cm from the front wheel of hers, so i must have been passing her way too fast ;)

One interesting law i learnt from that experience, is that, no matter who caused the crash, the vehicle behind must take 60% responsibility. So i joked with some friends that there must be people out there who purposefully crash their bike every day, knowing that the poor sod behind them has to pay more in damages. It's profitable.
    Last edited by apoftelbrau; 05-09-2015 at 05:14 AM.

2. #12 Re: Hi! Riding school in China 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by apoftelbrau View Post
    Hi, have done some more research. Apparently the moto exam can be done in English.

First i need to go to a place to get an application form and have a health check. Line 1 in the poster:

IMG_20150507_130419.jpg

Are there any 250cc bikes legal here with as above poster mentioned, seat height 850mm to 900mm? The dual sport bike is a bit of a turn off for me personally. Also just because the seat is higher doesn't mean i'll be any less crouched on it. Is it possible to get some kind of foot peg lowering device attached to the YS250?
    Just add some extra foam to the seat of the YBR to raise yourself up a bit. Or go for a dual sport, they will definitely be more comfortable. Higher seat, longer suspension travel = more leg room.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12