Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    I'm looking for a relatively cheap inline 4 engine to ride in Nanjing. I'm not worrying about plates, so an old 2nd or 5th hand motorcycle that still has a strong motor and clutch would be perfect. I'm thinking of like a CBR250RR, Hornet 250, ZX2R, CB400, or XJR400! Other suggestions for bike types or even locations of 2nd hand sport bike shop locatins in Nanjing are highly welcome :D I only know of 3 locations right now. The cheapest I found were 2 CBR250RRs for 9000 and 12000 yuan that weren't in the best of condition (one didn't have a working front or rear brake...though the owner said he would fix that first). I'm looking for something around that price, but in a bit more reliable of condition. Thanks, and I look forward to your replies! ^_^

2. #2 Re: Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbazoth View Post
    I'm looking for a relatively cheap inline 4 engine to ride in Nanjing. I'm not worrying about plates, so an old 2nd or 5th hand motorcycle that still has a strong motor and clutch would be perfect. I'm thinking of like a CBR250RR, Hornet 250, ZX2R, CB400, or XJR400! Other suggestions for bike types or even locations of 2nd hand sport bike shop locatins in Nanjing are highly welcome :D I only know of 3 locations right now. The cheapest I found were 2 CBR250RRs for 9000 and 12000 yuan that weren't in the best of condition (one didn't have a working front or rear brake...though the owner said he would fix that first). I'm looking for something around that price, but in a bit more reliable of condition. Thanks, and I look forward to your replies! ^_^

Only for off-road use ???
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Only for off-road use ???
    Those sound like off-road bikes?

4. #4 Re: Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulbazoth View Post
    Those sound like off-road bikes?
    No? but also don't sound like legal plated bikes to ride on the roads,
    i get it for the track then ????
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    Yezzir!

6. #6 Re: Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    It's a terrible plan.

Firstly there are sod all parts for the things, the amount of old Jap bikes sitting around rotting without any parts is huge, they were probably stolen from HK 15 years ago or more and are absolutely on their last legs and horrible. Even in the west bikes of this age are retired, let alone if they've had 10 idiot owners who buy the thing to gain face and will absolutely cheap out on things like oil changes. For example the tires will probably be some cheapo brand and the wrong size or old and hideously squared off. Other potential problems are vast.

Secondly if you hit any cycle, ebike, pedestrian or car you'll be turned in to a human ATM.

Thirdly if you don't have a safe place to keep it, it will get nicked by gangsters or seized by the police really easily.

Why not just get a 2nd hand Suzuki GW250 for 15-20K and have legal fun?

7. #7 Re: Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    It's a terrible plan.

Firstly there are sod all parts for the things, the amount of old Jap bikes sitting around rotting without any parts is huge, they were probably stolen from HK 15 years ago or more and are absolutely on their last legs and horrible. Even in the west bikes of this age are retired, let alone if they've had 10 idiot owners who buy the thing to gain face and will absolutely cheap out on things like oil changes. For example the tires will probably be some cheapo brand and the wrong size or old and hideously squared off. Other potential problems are vast.

Secondly if you hit any cycle, ebike, pedestrian or car you'll be turned in to a human ATM.

Thirdly if you don't have a safe place to keep it, it will get nicked by gangsters or seized by the police really easily.

+1
    It would not surprise me if he don't even have a C1E

8. #8 Re: Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    It's a terrible plan.

firstly, yes i agree all these biks are bullshit and not worth my money. neither is the license because i would feel disgusted with myself for giving in to this disgusting abuse of power. they even spray the roads with water to make it slippery as fuck, is this special bonus the justification for the ridiculous price tag? secondy, this is already true right now...i dont know whats to be scared of unless you dont pay attention or something... thirdly, why the hell would i buy a bike without a place to kep it? right now my bike parks in my garage. fourthly, 15-20k legal fun? i believe you forgot about the license plate. that 15-20k legal fun just turned into 40k+ legal fun. you know how great of an ebike i could build for 40+? iv recently become convinced buying a motorcycle in china is a stupid idea, and i might as well just build the epic electric motorcycle i had originally planned on. maybe buy a cheapo illegal scooter if i still dont have enough range to go somewhere. 1000 kuai? let the police take it...

however i heard even using second hand motorcycle frames for an electrc bike can get that shit consficated--is there no end to this madness? so maybe ill custom build the frame and everything from the ground up, or just use an existing cheap frame like this one: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...6-ce24419da0b3

9. #9 Re: Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    Get a 2nd hand Suzuki from somewhere that the plate doesn't cost 20K! Most places it's more like 500 yuan and another 200 a year for the insurance, even less for a 250cc bike. I'm sure there are other places in Jiangsu where the plates are that cheap. Sure, you could get fined or get points, but the bike won't be registered in your name, with your address, most of the cameras fire forward the fines are quite small and you don't have a license to add points to anyhow.

A powerful ebike doesn't help you out any as your aren't much better off. Any accident and they just say lookie illegally powerful ebike, you pay that way. They are always looking for a 'you pay' excuse or 'you get less' excuse, don't give them one. Plus those ebikes are 2kw vs 20kw for the Suzuki.

A legal motorcycle has VIN plates, registration plates and insurance. Those are really important and useful features.

10. #10 Re: Nanjing - Buying 250-400cc Inline 4 Motorcycle 
    actually, im looking at using a 24kw peak motor. i already have a 2-3kw ebike. ill talk to my friend about the out of town plates again, but i remember him telling me it wouldnt be able to work long-term :/ im really not worried about hitting anyone... i ride safely around pedestrians because i know those idiots would love to milk me of all my money for the next 5 years

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast