Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack Slipping Clutch? 
    Hi guys,

I'm new to these forums, as a few weeks ago I just bought my first ever motorcycle - a Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack. In some countries it's sold as just the Cossack 250, such as the Sky Cossack 250cc.

Anyway, the bike has passed around 900km and it's almost due to have it's first service interval. Note that I replaced the oil at 500km as that was advised by the service manual.

Today while riding I noticed that no matter which gear I'm in - 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. if I pull on the throttle, the engine RPM's go way up high while the motorcycle doesn't pick up much speed - that's the first indication of a slipping clutch as far as I know. I went to a repair shop and they test drove the bike and said it's definitely the clutch going bad, they'll need to change those 2 or 3 plates in Wednesday as that's when the parts come in.

My question is, do you think this is true, and even possible, for a bike that hasn't had it's first service yet? Not even 1000km and my clutch is almost dead? I read somewhere that maybe the oil is not right for the bike, so does anyone have any idea what's the best oil to use for these kinds of bikes (mineral, synthetic, viscosity, etc.). The bike currently has motorcycle-specialized Motul 5000 20W50 mineral oil, so I have no idea how this is possible. The manual advised for 15W40, but that kind of similar to what the bike is currently running.

Please help :(

2. #2 Re: Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack Slipping Clutch? 
    Something is not correct you need an oil that is JASO MA2 and Motul 5000 20W50 is not, its for Cars and has stuff that would make the clutch slip. If you used a Motul it be 7100 20W50 as that would be JASAO MA2.

3. #3 Re: Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack Slipping Clutch? 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Something is not correct you need an oil that is JASO MA2 and Motul 5000 20W50 is not, its for Cars and has stuff that would make the clutch slip. If you used a Motul it be 7100 20W50 as that would be JASAO MA2.
    I hope you are right, as I'm pretty worried at the moment that my clutch may need to be fully opened and the plates changed.

I did check the JASO PDF, and it seems the special 3000 4T that was used at the repair shop is MA2 certified, so I guess this points to a defective clutch even more :(

Here's the PDF
    2015-05-17_012216.jpg

I also checked the manual and it just says API SE is enough for the oil to work
    iQDs4Skl.jpg

Damn, I think about to get a pretty heavy repair bill :(

4. #4 Re: Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack Slipping Clutch? 
    I do not see 3000 4T on the Mosul website.

5. #5 Re: Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack Slipping Clutch? 
    Sorry I misread, it's 2am here so I'm kind of sleepy :D

I was reading through the large PDF file from the JASO organization, and I forgot the shop put Motul 5000 4T (MA1) and not Motul 3000. Yeah going to change the oil on Monday, and write back here to report. If that doesn't work, I'm off top disassemble the clutch I guess.

Thanks for the help MJH

6. #6 Re: Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack Slipping Clutch? 
    Even worst C-moto couldn't kill properly adjusted clutch in 1K kms. Is everything OK with clutch's engaging/disengaging?
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #7 Re: Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack Slipping Clutch? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Even worst C-moto couldn't kill properly adjusted clutch in 1K kms. Is everything OK with clutch's engaging/disengaging?
    That's the problem, the clutch is not dead but it's slipping real bad. Like I would be driving 30kmh in 3rd or 4th, and I push the throttle past 3-4k RPM's, the RPM's shoot to 8k while I'm still driving 35 kmh, all the while the motorcycle is screaming at full throttle :D

Otherwise, yes it is enganging and disengaging, I can start stop and change gears without problem. The mechanic said the cables look alright and don't need adjustment, so it's either the oil slipping or the plates are worn out I guess.

8. #8 Re: Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack Slipping Clutch? 
    this seems strange for several reasons. The first being these engines are not usually too fussy about the kind of oil they use. It has 900km so wouldn't it still be under warranty? A very simple way to check the adjustment is to adjust it fully closed i.e. adjust the cable so it is very slack and then go for a ride.

If for some reason it does need new clutch plates (btw there are six or seven) they are not so expensive and the labour should be no more than one hour.

9. #9 Re: Lifan 250GY-2 Cossack Slipping Clutch? 
    The Cossack has an oil frame, how much oil went into it?
    As far as types of oil it has to be JASO MA2 for use with a wet clutch. That should be right on the front of the bottle.
    It has to be flushed out and may require cleaning the plates or replacing them, but not before flushing it out at least a couple of oil changes, I would think the additives the better they are the worse it is, they will likely linger and particularly if there is allot of residual oil in that frame.