Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Got my C1 yesterday, next step (I hope) C1D 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Past my C1 yesterday. Considering getting a motorbike, especially a sidecar but after reading some here and on Beijinger, I have a few hurdles left.

I'm in the 12 month waiting period before I can upgrade my license. My understanding is that I need to get a C1D (not the more common C1E) to be able to drive a side car motorcycle. (Looking at the Jialing 600B-A, but this may just be a pipe dream)

Is the test different?
    I don't have a motorcycle certificate on my home countries DL, so that means taking the course here. Does anyone know of the course is different if you're applying for a C1D or just make sure that's on the test form when I take it?

Ed

2. #2 Re: Got my C1 yesterday, next step (I hope) C1D 
    It's tough to get a three wheeler license if you don't already have a car and motorcycle endorsement on your home license to transfer. Most foreigners with a C1D instead of a C1E probably had to ask very nicely for the C1D only as it's technically included at the discretion of the person at the Gong An licensing office, as there is no specific category in most other countries. I'd bet half the people who asked didn't get one, as time passes less likely.

Problem is, yes the D and E are both slightly different question papers, they'd make you probably do the three wheeler practical and questions to get three wheeler 'D' entitlement which would then include motorcycle. Bad news is that since they changed the rules they haven't made the English version of the motorcycle multiple choice test available in many places, and I can bet that there will probably never be an English version of the three wheeler test.

Best thing to do would likely do the entire Chinese motorcycle test (if it's even available in English) then plead your case for a C1D or do the entire three wheeler 'D' endorsement in Chinese.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    @ZMC888, Thank you for the full reply. I'm in Beijing so I'm betting "plead my case" is probably not going to work. Good to keep in mind though. Oddly enough if I did have a 3 wheel endorsement from the US it would mean 3 wheel only, not 2 wheels... next step, talk to local motorcycle driving schools about my options.

4. #4 Re: Got my C1 yesterday, next step (I hope) C1D 
    Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    @ZMC888, Thank you for the full reply. I'm in Beijing so I'm betting "plead my case" is probably not going to work. Good to keep in mind though. Oddly enough if I did have a 3 wheel endorsement from the US it would mean 3 wheel only, not 2 wheels... next step, talk to local motorcycle driving schools about my options.
    Also remember that in Chinese mentality a car license 'trumps' a 3 wheel license, meaning technically you'd be riding without a license, but I'm not sure how concerned they'd be or how big a fine or punishment might be outside of a major city if you were caught riding 'below class'. Of course it depends where you want to ride, how risk adverse you are, and the difficulties you'll face trying to be properly legal.

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks, at this point there isn't a pressing need & while recognizing the whole risk of riding a motorcycle, I'm on the more risk averse end of the scale. I'll be in the US briefly this fall and wonder if I can just get my certification them and then cancel my china license and retest... Hmm