Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Does anyone live in Chongqing? 
    C-Moto Regular
    I need to register in Chongqing to take the motorcycle test as I can't do the test in shanghai.

Anyone living in Chongqing know how long it takes to get the temporary residency permit? (The piece of paper that says where you live chongqing)

I've called a few police stations and they just forward me to someone else. Someone mentioned it takes 3 days but I'm thinking this can't be right as in shanghai it takes 5 minutes...

All help is appreciated.

Josh

2. #2 Re: Does anyone live in Chongqing? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshmakesnoise View Post
    I need to register in Chongqing to take the motorcycle test as I can't do the test in shanghai.

Anyone living in Chongqing know how long it takes to get the temporary residency permit? (The piece of paper that says where you live chongqing)

I've called a few police stations and they just forward me to someone else. Someone mentioned it takes 3 days but I'm thinking this can't be right as in shanghai it takes 5 minutes...

All help is appreciated.

Josh
    Josh, I think you kind of answered your own question. While I can't vouch for Chongqing as I've only visited there, I have lived/resided in several different parts of the mainland over the last 13 years. Every jurisdiction that I lived and therefore consequently had to register in, it took as you say 5 minutes, once all the ducks were aligned. There's probably in all honesty little to no point in making phone calls... as your question is for the too hard basket and you'll get nowhere fast as you have already discovered.

I'd estimate that it should take you all of 5 minutes to register with an authorised PSB provided you have a residential property rental agreement/contract or a local with an apartment who has a residential property certificate (which means their Hukou is valid for that jurisdiction) and their ID card, and that local can vouch for you (that you are staying in their residence etc) and thus as required by law, registering with the local PSB.

The one issue that MIGHT cause a problem is if your Visa has you registered as working in SH (or elsewhere) with a SH address documented on the Visa - you MIGHT have to explain why you are now living or staying in Chongqing. That is if officialdom notices. Should be easy with 'I'm staying here on vacation/holiday' etc.

It really helps if you have a local that knows how to talk the talk etc. I have watched as a difficult or challenging situation or resolute impasse has been very cleverly overcome by a local lass who knew how to sweet talk the hard outer shell of some male official resulting in her getting what she wanted. Job done.

You have to find the right individual/female though, as not all the stunner's know how to use good verbal jousting... IMO

There are no absolutes (black & white) only shades of grey.

TIC - the global LFZ leader...
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-29-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: Does anyone live in Chongqing? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    Josh, I think you kind of answered your own question. While I can't vouch for Chongqing as I've only visited there, I have lived/resided in several different parts of the mainland over the last 13 years. Every jurisdiction that I lived and therefore consequently had to register in, it took as you say 5 minutes, once all the ducks were aligned. There's little to know point in making phone calls... your question is for the too hard basket.

I'd estimate that it should take you all of 5 minutes provided you have a residential property rental agreement/contract or a local with an apartment who has a residential property certificate (which means their Hukou is valid for that jurisdiction) and their ID card, and that local can vouch for you (that you are staying in their residence etc) and thus as required by law, registering with the local PSB.

The one issue that MIGHT cause a problem is if your Visa has you registered as working in SH with a SH address documented on the Visa - you MIGHT have to explain why you are now living or staying in Chongqing. That is if officialdom notices. Should be easy with 'I'm staying here on vacation/holiday' etc.

It really helps if you have a local that knows how to talk the talk etc. I have watched as a difficult or challenging situation or resolute impasse has been very cleverly overcome by a local lass who knew how to sweet talk the hard outer shell of some male official resulting in her getting what she wanted. Job done.

You have to find the right individual/female though, as not all the stunner's know how to use good verbal jousting... IMO

There are no absolutes (black & white) only shades of grey.

TIC - the global LFZ leader...
    Spot on! Thanks for the reply mate.

I got just the right girl for the job, I hope she can talk the talk though.

I'll let the forum know how I get on. Just bought a bike from Chongqing, getting the registration done and in July I'll be flying to Chongqing to hit road heading south