Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 
    Hi All,

Looks like CFMoto has released updated versions of its 650 twin. Both the NK and TK are now equipped with ABS. The ABS unit is courtesy of Continental ABS system. This is a worthwhile update. It is a pity that my bike misses out on it and you can't retrofit ABS system.

UK versions also has the ABS equipped models on its site. The gallery features them prominently. So it is now available to the market?
    How about China? Do you guys have it too?

http://cfmoto.cn/onroad/details.aspx?productId=66
    Ride like the wind but stay safe.
    1976 Suzuki B120
    1984 Honda NH125 Lead
    1986 Honda CX Euro
    1988 Yamaha FZ750

2. #2 Re: CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Hi All,

Looks like CFMoto has released updated versions of its 650 twin. Both the NK and TK are now equipped with ABS. The ABS unit is courtesy of Continental ABS system. This is a worthwhile update. It is a pity that my bike misses out on it and you can't retrofit ABS system.

UK versions also has the ABS equipped models on its site. The gallery features them prominently. So it is now available to the market?

http://cfmoto.cn/onroad/details.aspx?productId=66
    True enough, but don't forget that the price hikes to match this innovation do not come cheaply.

This is just my opinion as an experienced rider and driver.....having driven many vehicles with ABS (cars and trucks, although admittedly not motorcycles) outside of a wet or dusty/dirty road scenario ABS for some people just are not worth the extra cost and hassle. Also not having it be switchable just for those conditions is an annoyance.

For me, I know it sounds arrogant, but I'd rather have a 'compromised wet/dirty road switch' that could be pressed at certain times and ABS and traction control come on then, for those specific times, and for that I'd be happy to pay an extra 2000-3000 yuan which is about 220-320 pounds not like an extra 500 pounds plus. Most of the time I'd just prefer an analog bike. However given that those electronics are 'always on' and not optional on most bikes I'd prefer a bike without. Bikes are much lighter than other vehicles, and I think a rider with good skills can stop a bike nearly as quickly or as quickly on a clean dry road.

Still, I'd love to pay a fair amount of money for a 'wet weather safety switch'.

3. #3 Re: CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 

Hi Dave
    Me and 1 other member on MCM test rode the new CF with ABS back in October last year, Chinese owner of such new bikes are the TEST monkeys for the rest of the world TIC
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    True enough, but don't forget that the price hikes to match this innovation do not come cheaply.

This is just my opinion as an experienced rider and driver.....having driven many vehicles with ABS (cars and trucks, although admittedly not motorcycles) outside of a wet or dusty/dirty road scenario ABS for some people just are not worth the extra cost and hassle. Also not having it be switchable just for those conditions is an annoyance.

For me, I know it sounds arrogant, but I'd rather have a 'compromised wet/dirty road switch' that could be pressed at certain times and ABS and traction control come on then, for those specific times, and for that I'd be happy to pay an extra 2000-3000 yuan which is about 220-320 pounds not like an extra 500 pounds plus. Most of the time I'd just prefer an analog bike. However given that those electronics are 'always on' and not optional on most bikes I'd prefer a bike without. Bikes are much lighter than other vehicles, and I think a rider with good skills can stop a bike nearly as quickly or as quickly on a clean dry road.

Still, I'd love to pay a fair amount of money for a 'wet weather safety switch'.
    Agree. There is only twice that I needed ABS as I did wheel lockup. The brakes are powerful enough and if one rides with enough room in front, you have enough braking distance.
    1976 Suzuki B120
    1984 Honda NH125 Lead
    1986 Honda CX Euro
    1988 Yamaha FZ750

5. #5 Re: CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi Dave
    Me and 1 other member on MCM test rode the new CF with ABS back in October last year, Chinese owner of such new bikes are the TEST monkeys for the rest of the world TIC
    So test riders then
    Are the bikes available in China now? Just wish it was available when I got my TK.
    1976 Suzuki B120
    1984 Honda NH125 Lead
    1986 Honda CX Euro
    1988 Yamaha FZ750

6. #6 Re: CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    So test riders then
    Are the bikes available in China now? Just wish it was available when I got my TK.
    In the shops now Dave
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 
    Nice. Does CFMoto charge a hefty premium for the ABS version compared to the non ABS one?
    1976 Suzuki B120
    1984 Honda NH125 Lead
    1986 Honda CX Euro
    1988 Yamaha FZ750

8. #8 Re: CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 
    C-Moto Noob
    TR model with ABS not available in the UK until 2017. The revised 2016 model that I am about to buy doesn't have this option.

9. #9 Re: CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theroamingscot View Post
    TR model with ABS not available in the UK until 2017. The revised 2016 model that I am about to buy doesn't have this option.
    If it was me, I'd wait until the model with the ABS arrives. Although I would really look at something else entirely, say a Honda CB500X, NC750X or D model, or a Kwaka Versys 650, Suzuki V-Strom 650... all of which come with ABS - if I was in the market for a mid displacement ride that is. Also a big plus is that all the models mentioned either have or can have a centre stand fitted.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

10. #10 Re: CFMoto Releases 650NK and 650TK with ABS? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks for your reply. Although desirable I don't think that ABS is so essential. I've tested the 2015 model and the brakes were great so the upgraded 2016 brakes will be even better. All good suggestions as alternatives but not for me. Too common on UK roads for me, I like to stand out from the crowd. They don't have the extra weather protection and cubby holes at the front that I'm looking for. Also the TR is the best value. For a new mini tourer the only comparison is the Honda Deauville and that's £3000 UK sterling more.
    Depreciation yes but I'm not intending on selling for a few years and I wanted to frequently use the machine so should get good return.
    Lastly yes the centre stand is a major flaw in design. I've heard reports removing standard exhaust gives you possible after market option.
    Alternatively there is a nifty device that fits to the back wheel that acts as a centre stand so no big deal.