Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Where to get a visaextention tourist type L on my way west from Tianjin? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello all,

I am riding west at the moment and apart from the normal problems a foreigner (not living here) has, like finding a hotel that accepts foreigners, not speaking/reading the language, navigating my way around ... I lost my phone today.

But I will need a visa extention soon on my tourist type L visa somewhere west from Tianjin. Does anyone here know of a place to do this? And what do I need for this?

Thank you. But I enjoy riding in China, people are fantastic and I wish I would speak more Chinese.

mika

2. #2 Re: Where to get a visaextention tourist type L on my way west from Tianjin? 
    Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    Hello all,

I am riding west at the moment and apart from the normal problems a foreigner (not living here) has, like finding a hotel that accepts foreigners, not speaking/reading the language, navigating my way around ... I lost my phone today.

But I will need a visa extention soon on my tourist type L visa somewhere west from Tianjin. Does anyone here know of a place to do this? And what do I need for this?

Thank you. But I enjoy riding in China, people are fantastic and I wish I would speak more Chinese.

mika

China Visa Application in China (Renewals and Extension)

If you have any doubts about your situation you should enquire at a Chinese Consulate or at a Public Security Bureau Entry and Exit Administration office within mainland PRC. Any postal or couriered applications from individuals are not accepted.

Application in China (Renewals and Extensions)
    It is not possible to renew, extend a visa or change into another type. However, if you want to spend more time here, want a multiple entry, or need to have a different type, you can - in many circumstances – apply within China. The procedure is very similar to applying outside through Chinese embassy, but you must go to the Public Security Bureau (PSB) Exit and Entry Administration office for the municipality where you will be 'resident' on the night following the submission of the application. Smaller centers might not have good English speakers so it is a good idea to take a Chinese friend with you if you can. Ask at international hotels if you are not sure where the PSB Exit and Entry Administration office is.

The new visa runs from the date of issue (a small difference compared with those issued outside China which do not start until entry) and the old one is cancelled at that time. So, you cannot have two concurrent visas such as a student X and a work Z. It is not a good idea to apply until the old one is about to expire as you want to use every day issued on the old one. According to the new regulation 2013, you have to submit application for extension at least 7 days before its expiration. The PSB officers will issue you with a return receipt once they accepted your application and make the final decision within 7 days. That is to say, there is no gap between visas. Because when you get the new one, the old one becomes invalid. If you are late applying, you have overstayed and are subject to a fine and possible expulsion.

If you run into difficulties when at the PSB, it is a waste of time getting irate or trying to bluster your way through, it simply doesn't work. Stay cool and you will generally find the officials help and explain all they can.

Currently, it seems that one month is the standard period for regular tourist L extension issued in PRC. Longer ones are available in some situations such as for persons married to Chinese nationals.

Complete the application form from the PSB Exit and Entry Administration office for the locality where you are registered as residing the night of the application, (ie AFTER you apply). It is probably easiest to take the application in yourself. If you have a friend submit your application there are additional regulations.

The section what you must submit for application explains what you need to get together before you apply. One point is that you must include 'photocopies of your passport bio-data page, your current visa, and your last entry stamp; financial support with RMB 21,000 for a 30 days extension (USD 100 per day) - a stamped balance inquiry from Bank of China will do the trick; and a residency registration'. The residency registration comes from the regulation that all foreigners must register their accommodation details within 24 hours of arriving (48 hours in remote areas) – as explained below.

If you are staying in a hotel certified to accommodate foreigners - this excludes most budget hotels, but youth hostels affiliated to the Chinese YHA are ok – they can provide you with a hotel accommodation registration slip, (旅馆住宿登记 lü guan zhu su deng ji) for the night of the date you are making the application, not the one before! If you are not staying in a hotel, you must obtain an accommodation registration printout from the police station for the area you are living - and where you should already have registered. So if you are staying in a non accredited hotel or with friends or in an apartment but have not registered, you should either register or stay in an accredited hotel for one night in order to get the slip.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Where to get a visaextention tourist type L on my way west from Tianjin? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Just had a look at the map and Lanzhou is on my route, so I will maybe try there or further west. How do I get a balance inquiry from the Bank of China? Will first check with PSB and than see if I need this or something else. More later. mika

4. #4 Re: Where to get a visaextention tourist type L on my way west from Tianjin? 
    Quote Originally Posted by mika View Post
    Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Just had a look at the map and Lanzhou is on my route, so I will maybe try there or further west. How do I get a balance inquiry from the Bank of China? Will first check with PSB and than see if I need this or something else. More later. mika

Your welcome ...... just take cash to the PSB in $ or RMB
    would be nice to hear about your trip so far if you get time Mika
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Where to get a visaextention tourist type L on my way west from Tianjin? 
    they don't usually worry about the cash part unless you are fillipino. Do pay attention to the fact that the new visa time begins the day you submit the application and it takes a week to get your passport back. So apply somewhere nice because you will be there for at least a week. Good luck.

6. #6 Re: Where to get a visaextention tourist type L on my way west from Tianjin? 
    4 times I have done this visa in the past and all times I was asked to show the money ???? but here being China you can't guaranty consistence in Chinese laws ? In the past I have found it takes about 4/6 days for your passport to come back and you can have it sent by DHL to a address nominated by you??? so there is no reason why you can't have it forward on to your next port of call. You will be given a approved letter from immigration to advise people that your passport is with immigration and the letter given can be used instead of your passport , Hotel, Bank ,Police

7. #7 Re: Where to get a visaextention tourist type L on my way west from Tianjin? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello all, went to the PSB Entry and Exit office yesterday here in Lanzhou. They could speak some English, so did not have a problem. Nobody asked for money or the hotel I am staying. Had to get a picture taken on the ground floor (35 quai), fill two forms, and write a travel schedule, pay 160 quai and she said, that I will get my passport back on Friday afternoon. This means I have to wait only two days, she said normally it is three days. Yes, the new visa begins on the day I handed my passport in (yesterday) and is valid for 30 days. This was all surprisingly easy. Thank you for the advise. mika from Lanzhou

8. #8 Re: Where to get a visaextention tourist type L on my way west from Tianjin? 
    Mika you entered China on your own bike without a guide?
    Please tell us about that?

Banned
    I'm on a Z visa that expires on July 16 can I easy get a tourist visa visa the same channel?

10. #10 Re: Where to get a visaextention tourist type L on my way west from Tianjin? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Mika you entered China on your own bike without a guide?
    Please tell us about that?
    Hi Zhu, sorry for the late answer, but did not have good internet for most of central asia. pls read here about me getting into china

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...na-i-did-82852

Thank you all for the advise about the visa extension.

mika from Baku