Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    Hi Barry

I Zoomed into the first picture I posted of the F700GS and it does show a centre stand ? it could be a special order I just not sure .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #22 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The F700GS V1, also comes WITHOUT centre stand, gear indicator and heated grips!

All the Kawa parts I would like to add will cost me just below 7000 RMB, when buying them abroad. That's including LED-lights which are about 2/5th of the total. So that would be roughly 90K RMB for bike + extras. Still leaves a gap of 35-40k RMB with the F700GS. For the difference you can get a Shineray X2 or X5 for traveling China ;)
    FWIW Barry your Versys you were lucky to get very near new, however since it was second hand I'd imagine you made a small saving than if you'd bought new. The KLE650 PRC MSRP 83800 + tax ~10% puts it pretty close to 90K give or take. Factor in your farkles and it is closer to 100K. Also add to that you are planning to buy your farkles abroad since doing so makes them cheaper to your pocket - that's great if you are heading outbound (good excuse for a trip ).

The BMW is a premium product (one can argue that) and in the majority of overseas markets BMW's are often (though not always) retailing at a premium price. IMO the F700GS still has better off-road potential than the Versys. Case in point: I met a guy at the tail end of a knarly track in northern Thailand earlier this year (which I'd ridden previously), who'd been riding a Versys. He was parked at the end of the trail, having a drink at a little convenience store and was red in the face, catching his breath. He was covered in dirt - evidence of an off. I rode out of the trail, saw his Versys so stopped and chewed the fat. He told me he'd ridden the track but dumped it half a dozen times on the trail/track. I was surprised he even ventured there. Admittedly he'd made a mistake and didn't realise the extent of the road into track conditions riding into the trail north of Chiang Rai as it starts paved, then easy dirt before... - known as the Elephant 'trail'. Also he had road biased tyres on the Versys. FWIW I had 90%-10% (road biased tyres too). I didn't stack the GS despite riding that track more than once. Not saying that I'm a more capable rider than that guy I met, just that the GS was more suited than the Versys. We ended up riding the rest of the day together and I lead him on a tour towards Fang, Doi Ang Khung and whole bunch of interesting riding. We keep in touch via LINE. He liked the design and functionality of the SHARK Evoline helmet I was wearing - so he went and bought one. I digress.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #23 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    C-Moto Guru
    Most people buy the F700GS V2, it's only few 1000 RMB more expensive then the V1. If you can afford a bike of over 120K RMB, then what's an extra 3-4000 RMB. It basically makes no sense to buy the V1.

@ bikerdoc, obviously the F700GS is more suited for some off-road riding than the Versys. But at the end of the day your also on cast rims! Yes, BMW is god to a lot of Chinese. I'm not Chinese so I don't give a damn. In my opinion with the Versys you get more bike for your money then the F700GS. I rode and will still ride many F700GS's, but now that I have my Versys 650 I don't like the F700GS very much anymore. The Versys engine feels much smoother than the F700GS, F800R etc. I would also dare to say that my Versys has less rolling resistance than any F700GS/F800R. Furthermore lack off an actual windshield on the F700GS.

In the end surely it makes a difference on what your main purpose for the bike is.
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

4. #24 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    Thanks for all the interesting perspectives and input. I had not thought about the F700GS to be honest. That gives me 3 more options than I had. I now count 4, F700GS, Versys, CFMoto, F800GS.

Just to add to my concerns/issues to fix on the F800GS, they are all coming into China with the low suspension. I know the importer and he can not even get normal suspension for himself.... That adds another RMB20K at least for me. There is nothing small about me. I need to ask if the F700 comes in standard seat height here in the land of logic free paradise known as China.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

5. #25 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    Thanks for all the interesting perspectives and input. I had not thought about the F700GS to be honest. That gives me 3 more options than I had. I now count 4, F700GS, Versys, CFMoto, F800GS.

Just to add to my concerns/issues to fix on the F800GS, they are all coming into China with the low suspension. I know the importer and he can not even get normal suspension for himself.... That adds another RMB20K at least for me. There is nothing small about me. I need to ask if the F700 comes in standard seat height here in the land of logic free paradise known as China.
    I believe F700GS comes with low seat unless you order otherwise (however that will significantly increase the delivery time), you can probably work something out with one of the BMW dealers in China. A low seat is easier for them to get rid of then a standard or high seat ;)
    Kawasaki Versys 650
    Shineray X2

6. #26 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    I plan on bringing a SeatConcepts replacement from the USA anyway. US$300 or so. Best farkle bang for the buck going. (I checked and they have a seat for the Versys too if I go that route!) The new F800GS from Thailand comes with suspension lowered via dog bone links and springs, looking at getting it back to normal adding up quickly. I am 1.9 meters and 130+kg. I do not want lower or smaller......I have Werks suspension front and back on the JH600 that helped a lot but still time to get something different....

Thanks for the feedback.
    DT

7. #27 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    That's how I see it the best bikes that are or will be available in China.
    My list is based on Value for money and also how close I am to a main agent who can carry out the required service work to maintain ones warranty and one has to consider the cost of services work and "replacement parts".
    My view with the new CF 650MT is it will be better than we hope for, my view is based on there will be a big input from KTM in its design, my main concern with the MT is will it be more like the Versys or the BMW F. I hope it will lean more towards the BMW style, so if a am correct he is my list

!. CFMoto 650MT
    2. BMW F700GS (if the new price is sub 120K)
    3. Kawasaki Versys
    4. BMW F800GS
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #28 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    Bikerdoc,
    Do you know the latest on when the CF Moto 650MT launches? Guesstimated sales cost?
    Update: CFMoto Marketing Director advises that 650MT ETA is delayed until mid 2016, due to quality improvement - "continuous development on [implementing] higher quality."
    - Pablo Picasso

9. #29 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    Thanks Bikerdoc. Not particularly good news but honest news is better than bullshit.....
    DT

10. #30 Re: Kawasaki Versys 650 
    Other developments for CFMOTO include a twin-cylinder 400cc model - powered by a sleeved version of the 650cc liquid-cooled parallel twin used in the 650G, NK & TR/TK. The Police 650G will be offered as a civilian version minus strobe lights, siren and police radio etc.

Back on topic
    - Pablo Picasso

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast