Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Been eyeing a bike for a while. Newbie Qs 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Everyone

I've been riding a moped for about 2 years in China but it's gone now. Wanna get a motorcycle. How easy is the transition? The only experience I have on a motorcycle was when I was 18 I think. 800c and shorts, leg was burned pretty badly. Don't really wanna repeat that but I'm a bit smarter now ;P

I recently moved and don't really like taking the bus which is why I'd like a motorcycle as well. The places I'd frequent are all about 30-40km away, and so which size engine would be ideal? I'm 5'7". Is there any shame in riding a 125/150 instead of a 250 (which most expats seem to consider as starter bikes)?

I don't know if I'll be in China for more than 8 months but I'm always telling myself this is my last year. Ideally I'd like to buy something used or have something I could resell at a high value so that I don't lose too much of my investment. Any recommendations? Used buying good or bad to do here? I've never really bought a vehicle let alone a used one. Though the dudes at the bike market said that there are hardly any used bikes under 250cc.

I think I've heard that Regal Raptor mentioned here and I liked the way their bikes look. Probably don't want something too sport, rather be comfortable especially if I'm riding further/more. How about those bikes I see on taobao though? The ones that are like 3000-7000k? 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a branded bike. I also saw them at the motorcycle market. Are they something to stay away from or would it be ok to learn how to ride on them?

Any good Chinese branded riding EQ (boots, jacket, helmet) you can recommend on taobao? Maybe also saddle bags or something? That way I can keep my sportcoat/suit jacket with me and a pair of dress shoes for the days I wanna look a little nicer. Also what would be a good passenger helmet? My friends head size all differ quite a bit haha.

Last Q, do you guys carry your helmets with you into stores and such? In the US my friend would always lock his to his bike but I imagine that's a nice invitation to a thief.

Thanks!

2. #2 Re: Been eyeing a bike for a while. Newbie Qs 
    Buy yourself a Jianshe Yamaha YBR125, Sundiro Honda CBF150 or a Sundiro, Jianshe, Haojue or other joint venture bike 2nd hand with plates and insurance. Prices range between 2000-8000 yuan and from 2nd hand you won't lose too much money on one.

Regal Raptors are not that well put together and the reverse engineered Honda engines are not that well machined and get hot. I wouldn't recommend one.

Also there is not that much difference between a good solid 125cc and a poorly machined 250cc. A solid 250cc single cylinder will have noticeable extra grunt up the hills and be a bit better as you get over 40km/h but top speeds are fairly similar, but a well machined multi-cylinder 250 like a GW250 can be a chunk more grunt, but if you are a new rider you'll be fine on a 125.

3. #3 Re: Been eyeing a bike for a while. Newbie Qs 
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...ucket=1#detail

Any of the bikes zm mentioned or...

Suzuki GN 250 , you probably don't want to buy that one as 35k is getting on a bit but look around your city and if you find a tidy one get that. A top box is a good place to store helmets and clothes even get some side cases if you like. If you have been riding a moped and haven't died yet you are probably doing something right. A motorcycle is obviously faster but should have better brakes and some form of suspension.

Staying alive is all about attitude , keep your eyes on the road and the mirrors, keep your head moving and develop situational awareness so you always know what's behind you and who is doing what. In a perfect world you would be wise to get some instruction but unless you find an old hand near you that is not going to be available in Xian.

Welcome to the club.

Btw many riding schools in NZ and AUS use those GN's as they are placid things with low seat height and no real vices.
    Clothing...
    Winter
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=38677030114

Summer
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4...r.1.0.0.7DXFjV
    Last edited by zhu; 06-20-2015 at 12:20 PM.

4. #4 Re: Been eyeing a bike for a while. Newbie Qs 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks! I do really hope to join the club soon. It'll really depend on whether I can get my license but I'll figure out something.

So would a 125 or 150 still be suitable if, when I'm comfortable and a bit more experienced, having a passenger? Top speeds are generally around 70km for the 125/150 Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda's right? Have you guys ever had the chance to really go that fast in China?

I feel confident with my situational awareness. I think I'll just have to get used to braking or stopping differently since I know that stopping suddenly causes problems on it's own (something that wouldn't really happen with the moped I rode).

If I buy a used one with plates and insurance all I have to worry about on my end is the license right? I'll double check the site because I remember there being a topic about all the legal related stuff and if I have any questions I'll post there or here, depending on how dead the other page is.

Honestly I wouldn't know how to buy a second hand vehicle. is 35k a lot for a bike? What mileage should I be aiming for and what price is associated with it (like 3k for 35k, 8k would get me how many km)? And do I need to be worried about "fake" ones put together from spare parts?