Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Motorized Bicycle 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Everyone!

I have a motorized mountain bicycle which has 2 stroke 49cc petrol engine on it. Regarding to Chinese law what does it classify as scooter/moped or bicycle? and does it require registration and licensing?

I am not planning to take it into big cities yet i am thinking about using on side of highways and side roads.

If anyone has any information or advice regarding to that questions please leave comment.

Thanks!

motorizedbicycle.jpg

Banned
    Cool gadget mate!

3. #3 Re: Motorized Bicycle 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    At best a big grey area, though it's pretty black and white. The bike completed with the engine modification has to have a certification and classification. These are some of the documents needed to get a plate. Bikes whether motorised with internal combustion engines (ICE) or electric or human 'power' required plates. Obviously the plates differ and so did/does where one would procure such. Even bicycles had plates issued, although in some jurisdictions this isn't a requirement any longer. Even some jurisdictions don't require ebikes to be plated. However the bylaw/regulations concerning ebikes still stands in some areas.

What applies or is adopted in one jurisdiction may not elsewhere. PRC one country consisting of many mini kingdo0ms and minions.

You might get away with it riding on one street, only then to turn a corner and have the bike confiscated. If that were to happen, you might be able to get it back after paying a fine, but then again maybe not cest-la-vie. According to the 'Traffic Law' it's likely to be deemed illegal and an illegal modification. YMMV.

You could attempt to have the bike scrutinised at a local Traffic Management PSB though I'd suspect unless you have some good Guanxi, they'll look at you and your bike as some form of alien and possibly either flip you off, or you end up being directed and redirected from one office to another. Even if you were to be told no it's okay just ride it nothing will happen (by the Traffic Management PSB) and then go off content thinking you have been given the definitive 'all-clear' (unless that 'all-clear' is in writing or some such) there's the very real chance that you could be stopped and be told different, or worse involved in an accident, and 'taken to the cleaners.'

On another note: the location of that engine has to throw off a fair amount of heat, guess your legs will be good with the heat transfer, whether that takes the form of radiated or conducted heat.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 06-27-2015 at 04:51 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #4 Re: Motorized Bicycle 
    Nice bike, I'm impressed.

However in China legally speaking I don't think it's a great idea in the cities, even bigger towns, in legal terms as Bikerdoc says it is an illegally modified bicycle, with I'm guessing 2-5kw or so of power, that needs a plate/insurance and you to have a license, all of which may be impossible. There were some old bicycles with maybe 10cc engine front mounted so if you have a small enough engine eventually it is legal. However all two strokes are banned because of emissions, so you're twice illegal in reality.

Now talking about the real world and being outside a city, in the country you'd probably get away with riding this pretty much forever except for an accident when suddenly you'll become a human ATM without insurance.

If it were me I'd go electric. Cleaner greener and more easy to get away with. Being in most places ebikes don't need plates, licenses or insurance. I believe you can legally modify a bicycle up to 200 watts, and above that is a grey area and 200-500w is probably pretty common.

The best thing with electric is cops will actually need to prove your motor is illegally large and to look at might be legal, whereas any internal combustion engine on a mountain bike just advertising the fact that it's illegal and any cop can give you a bad day any time they like.

5. #5 Re: Motorized Bicycle 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you so much fellas for your clear and informative answers! By the way is there any Chinese traffic law booklet or something in English over internet? Or do you know any person or firm who could help me to get it legally on a road?
    Cheers!