Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 49cc Moped License/Registration 
    C-Moto Noob
    Perhaps this question has been around the forum before then forgive me.

I have done research around internet but i havent really found clear answer for my question. Half of the answers are yes half are no.

Is it required to have a license to ride at China a moped/scooter 4 stroke with 49cc?

Lets say that i am going to purchase a 49cc moped which requires a registration. If i dont have chinese drivers license is it possible to even register that moped on my name? Or is there any other way to do it?

I hope you will understand what i mean.

Thanks

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Welcome

License:
    For the license, you need at least an F, which is for 50cc and under. E is 2 wheeled motorcycles above 50cc and includes F. D license (3 & 2 wheeled motorcycle above 50cc inclusive if E & F privileges) would meet your need also.

Easiest license option is if you already have a motorcycle license from your home country. Then you only need to take the electronic test for your Chinese drivers license no practical driving class & test. If you don't have a motorcycle license, easier to get it when you're next home. Then apply for a DL.

The current process of testing for a motorcycle license in China (~2011 and on) requires two written tests with a practical class in the middle, one of those tests (last I read) is only in Chinese. Also, You can't test for a license upgrade (e.g. motorcycle certification, CDL, etc) within 12 months of getting a drivers license or your last upgrade.

So I my case (recently got my Chinese DL, no motorcycle certification on my home DL) I'm going to get my motorcycle certification added to my home DL, then when I get back to China, cancel my Chinese DL and then reapply.
    When I get my home DL translated I need to make sure they correctly translate my home DL as equivalent to a C1D so I can drive 2 and 3 wheeled motorcycles. When testing for C1E, they'll add 10 motorcycle related questions (10 of 50 possible questions if what I've read is correct, not sure how many they add for a C1D test), to the 100 car questions. You have to score 90% or better.

Different places have different degrees of enforcement but driving without a license or the wrong license can get you 15 days in detention and then deported once you get out, so I've read. Or after they stop you, they look at you and let you go. I recommend the license.

What I've read is that registration doesn't have to be in your name, any foreigner in Beijing riding a 京B has it registered in a local's name, or a local bike shop's name. Local conditions, rules, enforcement (or not) will determine how hard, easy or impossible registration will be.

What city are you in? Folks with more real knowledge can chime in and let you know what your best next step is.

Hope this helps & others chime in with more
    Ed

3. #3 Re: 49cc Moped License/Registration 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey Ed!

Thank you so much for being so open about this matter. Looks like i have to go through the licensing process. Regarding to registration process do i require a temporary residence or hotel address will do? I will be at Kun Ming, Yunnan next year january on F type visa. Planning to get on road on a small moped.

Cheers

C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Do a online search for Chinese drivers license requirements to make sure you have the right visa, residence registration (usually what a hotel dis for you, but you have to do it on your own if you're renting a place), etc.

DL test:
    You really need to study for the electronic test. It's about knowing the right answer. There is an iPhone app and webpage called www.chinese-driving-test.com/.

For Android create an ankiweb.net account, download the desktop app, search for & download the "Chinese driving license 2013" deck, save it as one of your local decks, download ankidroid to your phone, login, sync, study away. (Read the ankiweb help to fill in the gaps) Neither the www.chinese-driving-test.com/ nor the ankiweb are exactly the translation you'll get in the test because only the Chinese questions have been leaked and these are both translations of those leaked questions. The anki desk is missing some of the questions but if you master those ~750 questions you should do fine on the car portion of the test (I got a 93).

Kunming may be relaxed about the requirements, or not. Hopefully someone from there can chime in on what you can expect.

Ed