Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Performance CDI for Qingqi QM200GY (Qlink XF200, STX, etc) 
    Honorary C-Moto Guru
    A cursory search for alternative performance CDI (capacitor discharge ignition) control modules reveals that the market is flooded with them. Unfortunately they're for the horizontal Honda clones used on everything from commuter bikes to ATV's, pit bikes, monkey-bikes, etc, some of the vertical 125 to 200 cc engines, and for lots of scooters.

There is power and improved running to be gained from an alternative advance curve which is programmed into the CDI's processor.

What I cannot find is an alternative unit for our bikes. The Suzuki DR units are different, at least physically (Why?), and there are no performance units for it anyway. The only bike that shares our unit appears to be the Suzuki EN125. I have done a lot of research into this, including trawling through lots of parts lists. I'm willing to be proved wrong...please!.

There must be a market for this sort of mod, Qingqis and their derivatives with the same 125/200 engines are selling like hot cakes all over the world, and yet, to my knowledge no-one has thought of this lucrative after-market item.

There's even a performance CDI available for my PGO Bugrider 250 road legal buggy and they can't have sold as many of those as the Qingqi bikes.

This is what the original factory unit looks like: Qingqi QM200GY CDI box

I have ben in touch with Gareth at Xian racing. I know he has contacts in the Far East with after-market CDI manufacturers, (they have jointly developed proven good units), and he's looking into it for me. Will let you know if the maker thinks it's a viable proposition and puts this into production. I have of course volunteered for testing, even if I have to pay for the prototype unit.
    My sort of test will, of course be subjective, using the "butt dyno", but either the maker or Xian racing could arrange proper rolling road dyno tests.

It's sad that I, being an industrial electronics manufacturer have to do this. I have tried to get our Chief Engineer interested in the fascinating (?) world of magnetos, CDI's, rectifier-regulators, etc, but no dice. He's too set in his ways to change tack now. Perhaps I should fire him...

The rest of our staff are willing, adventurous people. Just check out my Customer relations and complaints Manager.

If anyone is interested it would help to make our wishes known here, so I don't look like the only one in Christendom that wants this item.
    Last edited by forchetto; 04-07-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Jincheng Monkey JC50Q-7
    Skyteam Dax replica ST110-6
    Zongshen ZS125-43
    Qingqi QM200GY-BA Super Motard
    Qingqi QM110GY