Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shortest RR in history. 
    C-Moto Regular
    Originally I set out to ride the Yingang back from the factory in Chongqing to Shanghai. The trip was going to be over 2 weeks and was gonna be at least 3000KM doing a kind of 'U' shape down intown guizhou, guangxi, guangdong etc. From the name of the title you all can guess that this trip ended a little shorter than expected.

Anyway, day 1 I picked up the Yingang from the factory as happy as can be. Drove the bike back to my mates apartment which was roughly 40km from the factory.

Few days later after doing a few touristy things in Chongqing I hit the road at 7:30am and dealt with the terrors of leaving Chongqing city centre. Just south of city I saw a zongshen dealership and decided to get rid of the factory oil. The guys at zongshen was asking how come I didn't have the new RX-3 or whatever it is called. I just told them I hadn't looked too much into it and they quickly jumped onto talking about my Gopro.

Happiest guy of the trip.

After changing oil and buy a few extra bottles of it I was on my way.

Leaving Chongqing city was a little boring for the first 10-20mins but after that it was beautiful smooth roads. With some fairly nice views but with plenty of learner drivers on the road

2 Hours in and the roads turned into pure bliss, smooth and twisty with no little towns slowing me down.

Pretty little waterfall in the distance

Twisty heaven. (My photos really don't do it justice)

View isn't all that bad, better than any day at the office.

Anyway, after some time I hit Guizhou province and everything turned to sh*t. The roads turned to gravel and dirt and it was a pain, I went from ripping up the twisties to stuck at 30km/h on roads where the bike just felt like it was about to fall over at any moment.

After filling up for petrol I carried on and hit a part where there was no road so had to wait for them to build it.

Made a few friends during the wait and became so popular that someone gave me a bottle of water. Result!

A bit dirty.

After this I got so sick of the shit roads as my ass was killing from my uncomfortable seat (something I will be deffo adding more foam to). I hit the gaosu in guizhou, conversation with the toll booth worker went a little like this,

TBW:"Where you going then?"
    ME "Im going on the Gaosu.."
    TBW *Shakes head* "It's not safe"
    ME "That's my problem, can I go on?"
    TBW "Go on then"

So off I went onto the biggest traffic Jam ever on the Gaosu, with lots of attention from the locals saying I shouldn't be on there. However, they were all friendly and thought it was hilarious I was on there. After some chit chat 20 minutes had passed and we was all on our way.

Bike on the Gaosu

I got to Zunyi by 4:00pm and I was knackered so found a hotel and got some BBQ and hit the hay.

Next day I woke up too late and set off at a bad 8:30am, jumped on the gaosu to make some time and got to guiyang by 11:00 after measing around filling the bike up and looking for a suitable place to jump on.

Bike outside a pikey bike shop in north Guiyang

At about 1:00pm I was back on the road and stopped to fill up for some petrol when I got a surprise call from my mum who had rocked up in SH to surprise me... What a surprise it was as I was in Guiyang and she's there.

Slightly gutted about stopping the trip way too early and gutted about not taking more photos I found a courier to ship the bike back to Shanghai and I found a hotel for the night.

Now I'm back in Shanghai wishing I had never got to come back. Great to see my mum but I personally have never liked Shanghai, I hope I can move to Chonqging or maybe to the South next year.

All in all 550km was done within those two days and I am really impressed with the bike. I hope to jump back on the road within the next few months and head south to guangdong but we will see how that goes.

That's all for now.

2. #2 Re: Shortest RR in history. 
    "After filling up for petrol I carried on and hit a part where there was no road so had to wait for them to build it."

Nice one

3. #3 Re: Shortest RR in history. 
    Hi josh

The ride looked interesting with some great pictures to back it up, shame about cutting short the trip but you only have 1 mum ..... other times will come up I am sure.

I see you hit some bad bits of road to which you found challenging with your bike, may I suggest a few mods to insure some roads are less challenging.

The front looks ok USD forks with good travel...... need to change the tyres for a set off nobs of some 50/50 tyres and try and rise the from fender some hand guards just in case and you will be more happy with the outcome.

I have rode over 30.000 km all over China on the Yamaha YBR 125cc KG now and have found it is more than capable of handling everything China has to offer in roads but lacks some power , but yours being a 250cc your on the right track.

Here is a picture of the YBR and a few pictures of roads the YBR made easy work of Josh.

Thanks for posting your short but interesting RR.

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 447.jpg

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 018.jpg

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 098.jpg

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 099.jpg

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 100.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"