Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Retroactive China - Europe RR 
    Hey all,

Myself and a friend (American/Australian & Chinese) have been riding these past couple weeks from Shanghai, now in Kazakhstan.

We have had a blog going the past couple weeks at www.rideon.life, and have some info up for other people trying to do a trip like this

Were on a YBR 125 KG and a YBR 250 Fazer, both China made. Gone about 9000 k so far and having a grand time. Using Chinese Tourfella boxes for our stuff along with tank bags, and in the end still a strapped down backpack. So far so good.

Been wanting to get together ride reports but ended up just having most of it on a blog. Posting some info on our border crossing experience at Khorgos tomorrow for those interested and will try to put up at a kind of "best of" list (including best roads, and some mapped routes we have)

so far I can at least personally extremely suggest the S304 in Chongqing county (insane gorges) and the G317 (parts of it) in Western Sichuan as they pop to my mind.

hopefully can get some more bike/road centric info up here soon.

GOPR3518.jpg

2. #2 Re: Retroactive China - Europe RR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thank you so much for posting here! Your blog is amazing, especially the prep and border crossing part. I'm planning a trip to Europe next year so this blog is incredibly helpful. May I ask which windshield is installed on the YS250? I got the same bike, but my windshield is making my bike look like a Vespa.

I ordered most of the items on the modification page. Never knew some were sold so cheap. Great stuff

3. #3 Re: Retroactive China - Europe RR 
    C-Moto Noob
    hey man, this is J, the other guy on this trip, glad to hear that the mod page helped out! i'm not sure what type of windshield i have on the YS250 cuz my friend bought it for me, but mine kinda looks like a jellyfish. either of these might work, but no guarantees:

http://world.taobao.com/item/4126656....hQxPeR#detail

http://world.taobao.com/item/4233559...c-eddca5db68e4

4. #4 Re: Retroactive China - Europe RR 
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramper View Post
    Thank you so much for posting here! Your blog is amazing, especially the prep and border crossing part. I'm planning a trip to Europe next year so this blog is incredibly helpful. May I ask which windshield is installed on the YS250? I got the same bike, but my windshield is making my bike look like a Vespa.

I ordered most of the items on the modification page. Never knew some were sold so cheap. Great stuff

Hi Tramper

Have the same trip in mind june next year 2016 from Shandong to Londoin and BACK ??? me and 2 Chinese guys .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Retroactive China - Europe RR 
    posted to your blog.

Hi Guys
    Sorry to say but the problems trying to get your bike out of China with this border crossing must be unique to this border??
    I have crossed 5 times now from China and yes on a Yamaha YBR 125 KG ??? great bike Between China /Laos with the bike plated and not in my name??? and have only ever been asked to see the Blue book . Into Laos and then into Thailand to be fair this border crossing does see a lot a Chinese cars/bikes cross every day.
    So I think it's fair to say YOU can take you bike out of China legally very easy but it's also fair to say it depends on what border crossing you use.
    For me I would just take along the documents I still have showing the bike leaving China before and let them figure it out.
    That said TIC (This is China ) The Logic free Zone .

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 004.jpg

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 006.jpg

hainan&thailand& china 2014 2015 009.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: Retroactive China - Europe RR 
    C-Moto Noob
    @prince666, i guess the border selection could be one reason; unfortunately, by the time we got to Khorgos we had very little choice as to what other borders to try - it wasn't practical for the trip to go down through laos/thailand, especially since we'd have to go through india and pakistan, which require carnet du passage. we're not sure what will happen if others try to pass this border in the future, one option is to call ahead and ask them what documents are needed. i do agree with you that it's always good to take along all your documents just in case

7. #7 Re: Retroactive China - Europe RR 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Lost, can you let me know you things go with your Chinese motorcycle license in the old Soviet countries (like Kazakhstan) and when you're in Europe? I only have a Chinese license, so I'm unable to get a IDP. I know about the three options on your blog. Which one did you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Hi Tramper

Have the same trip in mind june next year 2016 from Shandong to Londoin and BACK ??? me and 2 Chinese guys .
    Nice! Which route are you planning to take?

8. #8 Re: Retroactive China - Europe RR 
    C-Moto Noob
    We haven't had to show our motorcycle license at all so far in Kazakhstan or in Kyrgyzstan, but then again we haven't gotten stopped by cops (fingers crossed). At the border so far they have asked only for the blue book - they have no idea what it says of course since it's in Chinese, but we tell them the information they need.

I actually used a fourth method that I didn't mention on the blog, I'll PM you

Cheers, J