Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 A question to all JH600 riders 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Since March this year I've been riding a YS250 (ybr) and I really love the quality and reliability of the bike, but I did a long trip a few weeks back and since then my knees are hurting an awful lot. I can't bend them anymore without feeling pain (and I'm only 24 goddammit). I blame this on the low seat height (just 800mm ) and terrible riding position. Not really the bikes fault, because I'm 6'2 and have long legs. As with any 250, the bike is just too small, so I'm looking for a bigger one and I think the JH600 might be an okay alternative. I'm not really a fan of Chinese bikes, but I think the Jialing is my only option so I have some questions for you.

- How reliable is the JH600 and what are its flaws?
    - To riders taller than 6'2: any problems with the position of the legs?
    - Is it capable off-road?
    - Is there any aftermarket support?
    - If you sold it, why? And if you still have it, why?
    - Do you think it can reach Europe from China?
    - If I'm buying it what are things I must fix/replace before riding.
    - How many RPM's at 120kph?

Thank you

2. #2 Re: A question to all JH600 riders 
    JH 600-A
    - How reliable is the JH600 and what are its flaws?
    The quality is like a 100cc bike in Europe (like non-smooth shifting of gears, handles could be more tight etc). But I really cannot complain, it does not fall apart and it is taking me where I want - that's what it is made for. (I was driving BMW before, that is just a different division)
    Battery problems which I changed, apart from that no problems so far. The engine needs a little attention every once in a while. But as mentioned - treat it like a smaller bike and it will serve you very reliable.
    - To riders taller than 6'2: any problems with the position of the legs?
    I know what you mean (I am 6'4) but I have not had so severe problems by now. Seriously, if your knees are still troubling you after a few weeks you should let them being checked. With 24 the pain should have gone away by now.
    In general this is a question that all tall people have to decide: do I want a travel bike with a decent sitting position or do I want to go offroad and risk a compromise in sitting? But check your knees first, I suspect the problem there.
    - Is it capable off-road?
    Absolutely. Weight distribution, power, handling of all components - maybe it would not convince a sophisticated biker magazine critics, but a good driver will always get what he needs. Again, it should be rather discussed a different topic: like how much power do you need. Because the JH600 is a heavy bike and comes with street tires.
    - Is there any aftermarket support?
    You live in Chengdu, so it should be possible to find a serious workshop. Although the simple techniques can be maintained by every good technician. It has a computer which might be challenging but the rest is standard.
    - If you sold it, why? And if you still have it, why?
    I still have it after 3 years because it does what it is made for. (I bought the little higher european version)
    - Do you think it can reach Europe from China?
    Yes. But I recommend you to understand its technique firstly.
    - If I'm buying it what are things I must fix/replace before riding.
    There are numerous posts about this topic here. Get yourself some time and a drink and go through them. Also many different opinons.
    - How many RPM's at 120kph?
    Did not do this very often, so I can't recall. I live in Shanghai, so when I leave the town then I enjoy riding and I do not go that fast. If I need speed then I hop on the main street in the night and then for safety reasons I keep my eyes on the street. But 120 is still absolutely capable and also good travel speed if the road is free.

3. #3 Re: A question to all JH600 riders 
    I have had one since March 2010

- How reliable is the JH600 and what are its flaws? Not too bad. My 2010 has had the following issues: 1. broken bolt on the oil filter cover first oil change-most likely the guy at the shop turned the wrong way. I do not think he understood the righty tighty....lefty loosey theory. 2. side stand safety switch is junk, easy fix is simply cut the wires and tie the two appropriate ones together and seal up. 3. I fried the harness and ignition switch security system by using a car battery charger that charges thru the power outlet on the dash. bad idea 4. I had the talked about stalling issue every once in a while until I got a good battery and keep it charged up with a battery tender if not riding daily.

- To riders taller than 6'2: any problems with the position of the legs? I am 6'2" tall, 130kgs and the bike is comfortable enough for me. I use an airhawk seat cushion on long trips. I also have set of Rox bar risers since I am a former off road rider/racer and like to stand when things get rough.
    - Is it capable off-road?Yes, but it is a heavy bike. Similar to riding a Suzuki WeeStrom off road. I have done limited single track and while it got me from point a to b, it was not like a XR650, KTM, etc.
    - Is there any aftermarket support? Outside of Chong Ching, Shanghai and Beijing, not really much dealer support. but lots of former PLA mechanics know the bike well. Not too big a problem to call the factory and order parts directly in my opinion. Delivered in 3-5 business days everytime for me. There is excellent factory tech you can pay to come to your location and service if needed as last resort. Worked well for me.
    - If you sold it, why? And if you still have it, why? Mine is about to go on sale because I just put a deposit down on a BMW F800GS
    - Do you think it can reach Europe from China? Yes, if you have some mechanic skills.
    - If I'm buying it what are things I must fix/replace before riding.Tough question, where to draw a line? I would simply take what you would take with most any bike for that kind of trip.
    - How many RPM's at 120kph? I do not normally look at this but I would guess in the 3800-4000RPM range with stock gearing, your results can differ significantly depending on chain sprocket gearing.

WP_20150325_004.jpg
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

4. #4 Re: A question to all JH600 riders 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    thank you both so much for these detailed answers. I'm planning to meet someone who owns one to have a testride. I might have to get into motorcycle mechanics a bit more though

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramper View Post
    thank you both so much for these detailed answers. I'm planning to meet someone who owns one to have a testride. I might have to get into motorcycle mechanics a bit more though
    There are a couple of decent mechanics in town but one won't work on Chinese the other will and I'm maybe the third and western the only one that won't bitch about working and doing a quality job on any brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk