Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: hi from Germany

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: hi from Germany 
    I live in Chengdu so only sure about here. There is a local series of car/bike days which are races and also some trackdays which are just hoon around days . But it is a rich mans sport here. Shanghai has track days at the old circuit Tianma which is a bit dodgy according to some . I used to ride street circuits in Nz ,places like Wanganui and Nelson and those tracks are lined with power poles and concrete walls , so the tracks in China seem ok to me.

If you get out into the countryside in Yunnan its just winding empty roads and free to ride with no cops so...

2. #12 Re: hi from Germany 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Tianma circuit in SHangers had track days on a schedule cars and bikes. Cars more predominantly. BMW does the driver experience training there (or at least did). One of the tuning garages at Tianma was run by a foreign car guru. He and his associates were running a sort of budget class deal, where one could buy a Ch!nese branded small compact car (forget the brand) which the garage would prepare - remove all non-essential items, replace seats with racing set, 5 point harness and roll cage plus a whole host of other essentials for racing. Cannot recall if they touched the motor or not (it was many years ago - maybe 4-5 years back). One could buy the car outright or go shares in a car with others. The deal was organised through that garage, so I don't think one could just go buy any small compact car and join in that category. AFAIK for bikes, not a lot going on at Tianma track these days compared to before, though I'm not in that loop any more so who knows.
    The main motorcycle track is Zhuhai... If you are interested in racing then BG Performance are the outfit to contact.
    As stated racing is not a poor man's game especially in PRC.

The passing comment about racing in Yunnan and Sichuan was a little in jest (tongue in cheek). Meaning that there are so many mountains and mountain roads with very little police and enforcement, therefore the suggestion was you could ride through those provinces as though you were riding on a race track. However, no guarantees.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 08-20-2015 at 01:35 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #13 Re: hi from Germany 
    HaHa no guarantees at all !

4. #14 Re: hi from Germany 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Great! I very much appreciate all the info, thanks a lot!!

Is on Shanghai International circuit going on something also for motorbikes, or is it just a car circuit? Seems to be a very nice track, but very poor info on the web.
    And what is about the Northern part of China, or is all the "music" playing in the South?

5. #15 Re: hi from Germany 
    Shanghai circuit is like any other nice sporting facility in China. Locked and closely guarded least any peasant should wear it out.

6. #16 Re: hi from Germany 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    Shanghai circuit is like any other nice sporting facility in China. Locked and closely guarded least any peasant should wear it out.
    Interesting!

Tomorrow I will have the pleasure to go to Mugello circuit in order to test an application for bikes. So for a week I will start surfing a bit around here and then afterwards hop into some threads.

Thanks so much for the kind welcome and also for the information already given in this welcome thread!

7. #17 Re: hi from Germany 
    We have a local circuit in Shandong, small but nice layout. Seems cars rule, car drivers have money and the track is over-subscribed as most of the local governments are under strict orders not to waste land and anything fun like a golf course or race track is seen as a waste, so sometimes cities with 3-10 million residents don't have any sort of local circuit so there is a large catchment area and waiting list for often low-skill wealthy show-off sports car drivers to get on the track. Being China many drivers love to show off hate to lose face and are sometimes attending a track day to make connections and network as much as it is a hobby. Marshaling and circuit healthcare are very poor or non-existent, so it is likely to find dirt, fluids and other debris on the track. I'm sure there is space for motorcycle riders to get on to the circuit at non-peak times, not sure though why we haven't heard of anything, maybe there is noting much going on or it's a closed group or the prices too high.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/381733/
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

8. #18 Re: hi from Germany 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I edited my previous post in this thread. As far as the former 'Shangers' F1 circuit, bikes don't race there since the F1 circuit lost the MotoGP hosting rights. Tianma is the circuit that is used for motorcycle track days in SH. There used to a fairly good motorcycle presence at Tianma back about 5+ years ago. Tianma even had a German motorcycle engineer who had a lot of design skills (he'd had a lot to do with BMW back in the day and was the fundamental design engineer on the BMW suspension system so prevalent today in BMW motorcycles. He had his own shop focused on wrenching etc at Tianma back then, as well as heavily involved in the race cart scene. I posted about the engineer/shop years ago somewhere here on MCM. Over time though, the German engineer closed shop and moved out. Subsequently several other motorcycle related shops also shut/moved from Tianma. My last visit to Tianma last year (when I went to SH BMW Motorrad to buy my GS in August 2014), there was only one motorcycle shop remaining. Everything else at Tianma was car related.

ZMC888 reply, reminded me that there is a private track just on the southern outskirts of Chiang Rai. Yep, not PRC. The Chiang Rai circuit is small, but made to a high spec and it is for motorcycles only! The track is fairly well attended. Forget how much it costs to rent the track for a half/full day. The owner is a wealthy Thai guy, who just happens to love motorcycles/motorcycling, so he built a track for the local motorcycling fraternity/community. I've got some photos I took this past Jan-Feb 2015, of the track somewhere - if I locate them I'll post them to this thread. Notwithstanding that BKK has a full sized MotoGP spec track. As previously mentioned, Thailand is way more motorcycle friendly than the middle kingdo0m in my experience.

YMMV
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

Hi,

To make it short and compact...

1. I live in Beijing and ride a 600 Benelli
    2. There is a race track in Beijing called "Golden Port" racetrack where motorcycle events happen from time to time.
    3. Buy a Ducati from Ducati Beijing, join the DOC Beijing and you will be part of such events. Though they are not cheap and rarely good drivers are there. Most of them have a max ankle during cornering of 15 degrees and 30kmh... But nice bikes with all carbon equipment you can imagine
    4. You need a license to drive so make sure you mention that during your car driving test. Then they will mention it in your local license as well.
    5. As a foreigner you can't register a bike on your own due to whatever reason. So the bike owner need to be a Chinese or a Chinese company. Legally you are then not the owner of the bike, but no risk no fun.
    6. Beijing mountains are beautiful and have curves you hardly find in Germany... And since Chinese car drivers don't like curves, roads are more or less empty and you can burn tires...
    7. don't have a accident in the mountains, as you will die there. No one will touch you or pick you up. So I recommend to have always some spare mm while riding.
    8. I can sell you my very loud bike next year in June of you wish... Will go back to Germany and enjoy my Duc then...
    9. Before you think on motorcycling in Germany come over here.... ;-) settling down will take at least a year before you even can think about motorcycles in China.
    10. More and more bikers are seen in Beijing. Most of them are riding in t shirt with a Wollmütze zur Sicherheit... Haha enjoy!

Send me a pn if you wanna know more....
    Mailand or Madrid --> Main thing is Italy
    Bikes: In Germany Ducati Diavel AMG#259; China Benelli 600GS with Loud Pipes, since they save life's....

10. #20 Re: hi from Germany 
    Foreigners can normally register a bike in BI in their name with a Beijing A plate (about 100k RMB for the plate only)
    Beijing B plates can be registered to chinese citizens with residence registration out of 4th ring road.
    (about 3k RMB)
    Many foreigners use the bike shop where they bought the bike as owners to get a B plate.
    You may register under your chinese wifes name.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast