Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 MaJieSiTe Yamaha NMax400 look-a-like 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar

Bought an 马杰斯特 (Majiesite) eScooter, since the local district has done away with compulsory ebike licensing/plates. I decided to pull the plug (no pun intended ) and buy a bigger than average electric scoot <eScoot>. Clone of Yamaha NMax400 or XMax400 scooter. I thought it resembled a BMW C600 scooter, but I stand corrected, its definitely a clone of the Yamaha.

Brand:
    马杰斯特 Ma-Jie-Si-Te (possibly a play on the model Yamaha Majesty scooter), though the scoot looks surprisingly similar to a Yamaha XMax 400 IMHO.
    Voltage: 144v (12 x 12v batteries) with isolating switch (under seat) lead acid batteries (may go the LiFePO4 route)
    eHub: Rear wheel hub 3000w
    Size: similar size/stature to a Jetmax, TMax500, Burgman650.
    Wheels: 13" front/back
    Brakes: single disc/rotor front (two calliper) / rear (single calliper).
    Batteries: 12 x 12v lead acid batteries wired in series and installed onto two battery trays below the 'tunnel' and under the seat tray. Was meant to be in two separate circuits via a switch, but dealer didn't follow my instructions (or that of my assistant). Two fast-chargers supplied with battery configuration, allowing the two trays of batteries to be charged simultaneously.
    Range: ~110km (optimum) riding mix of mountain gradients and flat areas in economy mode averaging 45-50km/h
    Top speed: ~96km/h (warp mode)

Instruments: Two circular side-by-side LCD displays separated by a small dark rectangular display, LHS round display has a rev counter via a series of bars forming a semi-circle. Within the middle section of the LHS dsiplay is the speed readout km or mph. Between the two round LCD displays sits two buttons above the dark rectangular display for changing between km/miles, zeroing trip meter, and altering time. There is a red battery symbol that illuminates within the rectangular display when ignition key is switched to the ON position, then it goes 'off'. This same symbol flashes when batteries are fully discharged. The RHS circular instrument display has the time displayed at the top then below the Trip meter 'A' information with total distance displayed below. The voltage charge meter remaining is indicated via bar graphs (5 bars) in the lower RHS corner. As power is depleted, bars reduce in number until none or shown, then the red battery symbol flashes in-between the two circular instrument displays.

Handlebars: bars are covered by a three piece plastic shroud. Mirrors mount to handle bars. Front and rear brake reservoirs in the usual handlebar locations.

Handlebar switchgear: normal motorcycle type switchgear on LHS; horn, indicators/turn signals, high/low headlight switch, and flash to pass switch. RHS; throttle, 'engine off' switch, starter button (is actually another horn button), headlight/parklight/off switch, 3 forward speed modes: economy/medium/speed (I've only used the economy mode so far, seen speeds around 60km without trying [GPS verified]). Reverse selector switch. Yes has a reverse gear mode.

Tupperware: 2 integrated lockable compartment cubby's up front (will have to measure). The ignition key which fits all locks (keyed alike). Ignition is located below handlebars between the compartment cubby's. Steering lock, seat release, ignition off, ignition on. Tupperware leg shields, foot wells, below seat, wrap-a-round seat, and LHS/RHS of swing-arm.

Tunnel has a lockable compartment lid which is where one would normally access fuel tank. This is where one of the female battery 3 pin plugs is located to recharge one 72v set of batteries is located. The other is located under the seat. Foot well, has rubber mats. Foot placement either flat on floor boards or foot forward position. Both are comfortable un-cramped placements for my 183 height (32" in-seam).

Seat: wide comfy, king/queen design. Rider (king) sits lower then pillion (queen). Lumber support seems adequate. Under seat storage is long and would take a half helmet in the forward section - dependant on helmet design. Volume still to be established. Access panel to standard battery configuration (72v) is under the seat. Isolating switch was placed in the most rearward position under seat, as was the female battery charger 3 pin plug (placement selected could have been better).

Lights: real revelation... Rear tail light cluster is divided into two parts separate lights LHS and RHS. LEDs. LED park, indicators and brake lights. There is also a illuminated line like an 'eyebrow' above the LHS and RHS row of LEDs - very nice.
    Front lights: separate LHS and RHS LED indicators placed lower and separate to the headlights. Headlights are separate LHS and RHS units. There is a 'eye-brow' type light very similar to some car headlights e.g. Audi, BMW et al. It's not super white or bright (pity) the glow is more an off-white or similar (hard to describe). Very striking look.

Frame: Tubular steel. Side stand. Centre stand. No auto cutout with side stand deployed (oversight IMO). Alloy pillion grab rails. Will look to fabricate a luggage rack so I can fit the all important top box.

I received the scoot Friday evening - delivered in a wooden crate similar to how motorcycles get packaged and shipped in PRC. Had to fit the screen which meant a lot of work removing both LHS and RHS front tupperware sections (two piece) each side. Lots of screws, a few bolts, and some clever ideas on how to access a couple of the screws attached on the inside of tupperware attachment points (access via the compartment cubby's). I really suspect that this manufacturer in Taizhou has reverse engineered a Yamaha X-Max 400 to some degree, striking resemblance. Don't know for sure, just a suspicion.

Didn't charge scoot Friday night thinking the batteries would be fully charged out of the box (opps, oversight - my bad) and rode scoot Saturday on varied gradients and flat roads, dodging the occasional rain showers, hiding under bridge over passes and similar. Only got 61km before batteries ran low (red battery symbol flashing and very little to no forward movement potential from throttle). Charged Saturday night. Rode 71km Sunday morning with the loss of 1 bar (out of 5) on battery charge instrument display. Returned home for lunch and waited for rain to pass, charged batteries with both chargers (3-4 hours) then rode another 51km returning home with all 5 bars displayed.

Updates to follow and more photos... (photos below of scoot without mirrors fitted)

Attached Images
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-03-2016 at 03:52 AM. Reason: title change
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso