Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Davie View Post
    Hi BikeDoc,
    Amazing looking scooter, might just be what I'm looking for in the very near future.
    Do you have any pics with the box fitted yet?
    Do you attract any unwanted attention from the fuzz?
    Photo with the ADLO 2012 model top-box in situ. Top-box has its own base plate allowing the box to be removed using the key and press of the red button.

On another note, I can upgrade the rear electric motor/hub to 6KW and new master controller for ~6K CNY. Haven't looked into LiFePO4 batteries or other lithium batteries, as changing out the lead acid batteries also requires a new master controller, battery charges, and would remove the ability to recharge the eScooter out and about if needed, at any of the conventional recharging facilities...

Currently I carry the two fast chargers under the seat along with the respective cables and a 10m electrical extension cord as I have a few places where I can plug in for 'ahem' free, if I ride close to the ~100km range or know I will. I use the fast chargers sparingly though as using these to charge the batteries does shorten battery life (1.5-2hrs for full charge from an empty state). Pretty much every night I plug the scoot into the mains and recharge using the standard battery chargers (2) which take up to 10hrs from an almost empty battery state.

I'm not sure what level of redundancy reserve the controller might allow the batteries charge to remain at when 'empty'. A reserve state of charge is important to preserve the battery life for as long as possible. Fully discharging batteries fully isn't ideal so most controllers used in electric vehicle allow a certain reserve level of charge to remain... but TIC the LFZ.

I have revised my view on the BMW C600 reverse engineering... it's actually a Yamaha X-Max 400 copy
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-04-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #22 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey Doc,
    looks good with the box.
    I've been trying to locate this bike in Shanghai, looking for same spec as yours with dual 72's.
    I think I've found a dealer, or at least one that can supply this.
    Looks identical to yours save for the screen, what do you think.
    Communication, (even via my Chinese wife), hasn't been straight forward. But I think the spec I can get is 3kW, and 72 volt. for 10,000 yuan. Trying to talk about additional batteries, ended up getting very lost.
    In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to ordering one and see how I get on.

Attached Images

3. #23 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    Hey Davie, just a quick question; do electric bikes require a licence plate in your location? If they do this bike won't be eligible since the limitations on both speed <20-25km/h I seem to recall pretty much apply most places and then the electric motor output required to be <400w. This X-Max copy is bigger than pretty much the majority of commonly seen electric bikes on Ch!na roads etc, so it does stand out. I see my eScoot being looked at all the time, so fair warning. The scoot also is available with a 125cc, 150cc, 250cc petrol engine... though from different sellers.

I'd push for the screen like my eScoot has as there's not much clean air in the populated areas here, so one gets pretty dirty after a reasonable ride here. The screen helps minimise that dirty air exposure.

The luggage rack is also really worth it to me, I have top-boxes on all my rides. Just very practical IMO. My rides do shopping runs as much as anything else, so a top-box is a must have. Also the tunnel (the space between the front of the seat and the tupperware where a rider places their feet) on this scoot isn't flat, so the tunnel cannot be utilised as well as it might be on other scoots.

The eScoot are actually manufactured in Zhejiang province, in Taizhou.
    The double set of batteries is a real bonus for my riding requirements, because I often ride >80km round trips several times a week and often I'm pushing the range right out into triple figures so having the extra 72v is a major bonus as far as I 'm concerned as I have locations where I can use the aftermarket fast chargers when needed to 'borrow' some e-juice. It would be great to have regenerative braking and even solar charging added into the panels, especially the top box. I've looked into some form of solar panels even fold out panels that I could use while parked/stopped, but with current technologies and so forth it isn't feasible "yet".

I'm happy with the eScoot and in fact aside from my 3 months riding my BMW GS down to/from round China, Laos & Thailand where I spent lots on petrol. I haven't paid for any petrol the 2-3months prior now the month I've been back 'home' since.

I've considered the 6KW and controller upgrade and even thought about going lithium, but neither make sense based on my wants and needs... lithium batteries can't be recharged using the charging stations that abound most everywhere there's a sizeable population here. That's the biggest obstacle for me.

A few more photos from a few days ago, to follow
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 05-07-2016 at 05:00 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #24 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    A late afternoon early evening jaunt around some local mountains (Jiu Feng Shan) 5km from my door... did a short circuit of about 60km... ascending and descending the mountain slopes. Attempted to refrain from using 'moderate' mode on the steeper ascents, but find it best to keep up momentum or regain it on tight switchbacks where I had to scrub off speed.

The day when electric 'bikes' offer a reliable range of 300km with fast 30-1hr recharge times and fairly good average sustained speed ~100km/h over that range I think will be the tipping point...

If I was able to achieve an average 300km range regardless of the terrain ridden, at a fairly brisk pace when needed/wanted with this Majiesite (Yamaha X-Max copy), I'd have ridden the eScoot all the way down to Thailand, with the only caveat/consideration being how the eScoot might go attempting to cross international borders (e.g. Laos and Thailand).

Note the LED lights on front and rear, very nice accents though I'd like the front LED to be brighter so the scoot really had a better presence on the bitumen etc.

Attached Images
    - Pablo Picasso

5. #25 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    Binhai, Chunxiao side of JiuFeng mountain...

Attached Images
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #26 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Doc,
    Planning to buy in Shanghai and get it delivered to Suzhou, where I’ll be living in the very near future.
    Haven’t looked to into number-plate requirements for Suzhou, spent the last couple of weekends in Suzhou I noticed most e-bikes are un-plated.
    Visited a couple of e-bike shops and could quite easily get hold of a 2KW, large but standard’ish looking bike.
    Anybody out there know the legalities of e-bike number plates in Suzhou.
    Another option is to see if I can purchase same bike through a Suzhou shop.
    I much prefer to have dual 72v’s, but communication/understanding of what I was asking for couldn’t be resolved. If it comes to it, I’ll get a shop in Suzhou to fit a second set of 72v’s or do it myself. (assuming it’s pretty simple connecting the batteries up and heavy duty twin pole switch). I’ll also try and find the biggest capacity/best quality batteries, although this will depend on being told that batteries I’m buying are really best quality nit just more expensive.
    The rack I’ll ask for, along with box.

7. #27 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    Quote Originally Posted by Davie View Post
    Hi Doc,
    Planning to buy in Shanghai and get it delivered to Suzhou, where I’ll be living in the very near future.
    Haven’t looked to into number-plate requirements for Suzhou, spent the last couple of weekends in Suzhou I noticed most e-bikes are un-plated.
    Visited a couple of e-bike shops and could quite easily get hold of a 2KW, large but standard’ish looking bike.
    Anybody out there know the legalities of e-bike number plates in Suzhou.
    Another option is to see if I can purchase same bike through a Suzhou shop.
    I much prefer to have dual 72v’s, but communication/understanding of what I was asking for couldn’t be resolved. If it comes to it, I’ll get a shop in Suzhou to fit a second set of 72v’s or do it myself. (assuming it’s pretty simple connecting the batteries up and heavy duty twin pole switch). I’ll also try and find the biggest capacity/best quality batteries, although this will depend on being told that batteries I’m buying are really best quality nit just more expensive.
    The rack I’ll ask for, along with box.
    Hi Davie, what's the update? Any developments on buying plans for this scoot?
    If you are searching the likes of Taobao... just input 马杰斯特 into the search engine... there's heaps of bikes and a few aftermarket add-ons... like this newer luggage rack... for sale...
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #28 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi Doc,
    I did get myself an escooter very similar to yours. Whilst researching options of the where and how to get one at the spec I wanted, I had a stroke of luck. Following up on a few weeks old advert on an expat message board, for a T8 scooter for sale in Suzhou, I expected only to be able to clarify where the scooter was bought. As it turned out the scooter was still for sale. The guy had bought 6 months previous, for 12K yuan and had put another 6K into it in upgrades to the motor/brakes/suspension/lights/tyres etc etc. The important numbers are 144v batteries and 10kw motor. I got what I consider to be a very good deal on it. The only things I want to due to it are, box and rack/lower screen, and maybe see if I can adjust the throttle to have a better feel.
    Through bad timings and travel, the bike is in Suzhou and I’m in Shanghai, and I’ve only ridden it once in the rain 2 up (15km). Can’t confirm anything about the range, but it’s more than quick enough for the road, and a bit too quick for the bike lanes. Easily cruises at 75kph two up, didn’t get anywhere near top speed on my first run in the wet. Only a guess, but I’d estimate it’ll do 100+kph without any trouble.Hi Doc,
    I did get myself an escooter very similar to yours. Whilst researching options of the where and how to get one at the spec I wanted, I had a stroke of luck. Following up on a few weeks old advert on an expat message board, for a T8 scooter for sale in Suzhou, I expected only to be able to clarify where the scooter was bought. As it turned out the scooter was still for sale. The guy had bought 6 months previous, for 12K yuan and had put another 6K into it in upgrades to the motor/brakes/suspension/lights/tyres etc etc. The important numbers are 144v batteries and 10kw motor. I got what I consider to be a very good deal on it. The only things I want to due to it are, box and rack/lower screen, and maybe see if I can adjust the throttle to have a better feel.
    Through bad timings and travel, the bike is in Suzhou and I’m in Shanghai, and I’ve only ridden it once in the rain 2 up (15km). Can’t confirm anything about the range, but it’s more than quick enough for the road, and a bit too quick for the bike lanes. Easily cruises at 75kph two up, didn’t get anywhere near top speed on my first run in the wet. Only a guess, but I’d estimate it’ll do 100+kph without any trouble.

9. #29 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (94.3 KB, 33 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (67.3 KB, 34 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (91.2 KB, 34 views)

10. #30 Re: MaJieSiTe BMW C600 look-a-like 
    ^Davie I've sent you a PM. I'm attempting to upgrade to 6kW electric hub and controller fitted as a custom order through the local Suzuki motorcycle shop 3km away from my house here in PRC (TIC!). After dropping the scooter off at the shop on the understanding it'd take 2 days for the change out from the 3kW electric motor and controller. Eight days later finally got the message at 9pm that scooters all done. I arrived 8am yesterday at the shop with my scooter sitting all nicely detailed (washed) on the workshop tiled floor with the seat open. Nice, I thought as I walked up the ramp into the workshop only to be let down with the sight of the controller sitting lengthways with a mass of electrical cables like spaghetti essentially taking up a fair amount of real estate in under-seat stowage area. They'd also drilled several holes here and there for the passage of said wiring and also moved the theft alarm to the stowage area too for some (unknown) reason when it had previously been underneath the stowage 'bin'. Supposedly there wasn't enough space under the stowage'bin' where the admittedly smaller 3kW controller had been. However the new controller was poorly fitted and numerous wires had 'silver' tape wrapped loosely which indicates that wires are joined using the good old trusty cut, twist and wrap approach so common here. Pragmatic if nothing else. I was far from impressed! TIC the penultimate LFZ YMMV My reaction was to tell the workshop boss who I've known and dealt with for 10 years, firstly why they didn't contact me first once they/he realised that the controller was too big before they cut and drilled? At least let me know beforehand so I could have made the decision. I was so annoyed I told the boss who was running late (plane to catch), that unless he can get that controller fitted underneath the seat stowage'bin' otherwise remove it all and retrofit the 3kW 'system' back in. The workshop boss had an epiphany (shared by the peanut gallery) and suggested fitting the controller along the side of the scooter near the rear shock and swing arm. Typical TIC approach, I should have known better. As I walked out of the workshop (shaking my head) 20-25min after the workshop boss who had to go catch his plane, I didn't bother mentioning that the rear tyre valve air pressure cap (which I bought and fitted to every vehicle in my garage here in PRC) was missing, which they'd obviously misplaced when they'd swapped over the electric hub/wheel! Yes, great to see all the hardware being upgraded in the country (unfortunately it's not often used as such hardware should), but where TIC fails is in the software area and the hardware-software interface. TIC the truly LFZ YMMV
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-02-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast