Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 STORM will travel the world in 80 days with an electric motorcycle! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi everyone,

We need your help to travel around the world (including China) with an electric motorcycle in just 80 days!

We are STORM Eindhoven, a student team from Eindhoven University of Technology and we will build world's first electric touring motorcycle. Our motorcycle will be finished by October and our journey around the world will start in June 2016.

The goal of our journey around the world is to promote electric (motorcycle) driving. We will do that by meeting people, businesses, universities and motorcycle communities with an interest in innovation, sustainability or e-mobility. At the major cities along the route we will host an event to raise awereness for electric driving. Others will also help us getting around the world by providing plug-in points. The motorcycle needs charging every night and we will do that by a plug-in at their places. With one fully charged battery we are able to cross 380km.

A substantial part of our journey will go through China. That's where we hope to get your support on this blog. Our route will roughly go through Urumqi (by entering China from Kazakhstan), Beijing and Shanghai but also many cities in between. We are looking for people that want to be part of our event or can provide us with a plug-in point.

Please contact us if you know people, businesses, universities and motorcycle communities with an interest in innovation, sustainability or e-mobility.

Besides, if we can charge our motorcycle at your place during the trip, that would be really helpful.

Other information about China is also welcome.

Let us know!

---
    More information on our project can be found on: http://www.storm-eindhoven.com/?lang=en

2. #2 Re: STORM will travel the world in 80 days with an electric motorcycle! 
    Best of luck to you! I will be watching as you make your way across the United States, and hopefully near my home State of North Carolina (we have Highway 129, the Tail of the Dragon to entice you). It's only a couple thousand miles out of your way....

Electric vehicles RULE!
    all I remember is dirt....sky....dirt....ambulance..

3. #3 Re: STORM will travel the world in 80 days with an electric motorcycle! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    G'Day STORM Eindhoven
    Welcome to MCM!
    You could pencil in Ningbo NETD Zone (30km east of Ningbo city on the coast) for plugin and get-together. I'm a little more than interested in the eBike you're planning on embarking on the journey aboard, especially given you're expecting to get a range of some 300km. That would be fantastic provided the 300km is achievable over a wide variation of conditions and parameters... e.g. hills, mountains, heat/cold, speed etc.
    I've had a few 48v electric scooters previously (10years ago) but found the range to be a major limitation in being able to step away from ICE motorcycles/scooters etc. I've recently bought a larger eScoot (see here) and even with a larger but still conservative 3000watt hub motor and 144volts (12 x 12v) lead acid batteries, I am getting a reliable 100-110km range provided I use the low power mode (3 power modes), limit WOT use (throttle) thereby limiting speed to <50km or thereabouts, and limiting the number of inclines I ride - which for me is not ideal as I prefer the mountain routes/roads here. I'd hazard a guess that I could increase the range 10-15% or possible more if I removed all incline/ascents from my chosen ride routes. I know full well that if I were to replace the current batteries with LiFePO4's I'd likely increase range about 30-50% but the cost to do so doesn't seem to be an appealing ROI. Consequently I'm 'all ears' on how you're able to achieve that 300km range.

Oh, and one more thing...

thread_Useless.jpg
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-11-2015 at 02:09 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #4 Re: STORM will travel the world in 80 days with an electric motorcycle! 
    Hi Bikerdoc
    The guys did post a link with loads of pictures to keep you happy mate .
    Link ...... http://www.storm-eindhoven.com

I had a good read about the project, very interesting not sure about the Hossack set up at the front.

Good luck Storm...

NORMAN HOSSACK link......http://www.angelfire.com/biz5/hossack/oldindex.html

CONCLUSION

Moving to the bigger picture: -
    Why after 24 years are no riders benefiting from the provable advantages available with the HOSSACK system? The answer is simple; the gap between a successful invention and a commercial enterprise is unbridgeable and if you don't have the money and the timing just right you will not change the world.
    Secondly, tellies have 'cubic dollars' of development money thrown at them for years, and the manufacturers want a return on their investment.
    Thirdly, no major manufacturer will take up an idea that they did not invent: "not invented here syndrome".
    The invention itself is only incidental to the final products success and comes somewhere down the list of requirements behind marketing, R and D, and finance. So my advice to any budding inventors, is this :- don't put your shirt on it!
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: STORM will travel the world in 80 days with an electric motorcycle! 
    BTW EVOKE electric motorcycles based in Beijing might be interested in learning about your venture and endeavour. PM natesiy one of the MCM forum members for more information.
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: STORM will travel the world in 80 days with an electric motorcycle! 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    BTW EVOKE electric motorcycles based in Beijing might be interested in learning about your venture and endeavour. PM natesiy one of the MCM forum members for more information.

So we should see this bike on sale on Taobao soon then ????
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: STORM will travel the world in 80 days with an electric motorcycle! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Indeed, more info and pics can be found on our website. However, as you did ask for pictures here is two from the motorcycle. As you can see, we bring a lot of batterypacks to store all the energy (28.5kWh). Therefore, we are able to reach a distance of 380km. The batterypacks are also modular which means we can take them out to charge them up or to switch them for charged ones. Besides, you are able to leave batteries out for a shorter range but a lighter bike.

In three weeks the motorcycle will be finished. On October 1st we will present the bike to the world. By then, you can find more info about the bike on our website or on Facebook where we post updates regularly: https://www.facebook.com/STORMEindhoven?fref=nf. This week we had an update about the frame which is completely different from existing bikes. Be sure to check that out.

The tail of the dragon is really awesome! We'll definitely keep this in mind when we finalize our route. Would be nice to ride that road as well.

And yes, we already have good contacts with Evoke. We first heard about them on this Forum. So that's great

Electric STORM Motorcycle.jpg STORM Motor.jpg

8. #8 Re: STORM will travel the world in 80 days with an electric motorcycle! 
    Since I have been riding my eScoot often, frequently riding extended distances (80-100+ range) with several instrances where I have had the pleasant experience of having to either push my eScoot back home or very deliberately and delicately limit my throttle inputs to make it back home, as I pushed the maximum range of the batteries of my eScoot (see post # 3 above). I've found that there are numerous recharging stations available anywhere one can find electric bikes, which in these parts is most everywhere. Most of the coin operated electric fast-chargers are located at electric bike workshops (big and small workshops), fewer at electric bike retail stores and a few in odd locations (e.g. outside company factory compounds) and the like.

20150922_electric_charger.jpg

Fast charger is able to charge 2 bikes simultaneously (hence why there are two coin slots). This makes it possible for me to use this type of fast charger as I have my 144v divided into two 72v with two 3-pin plugs, for charging purposes. Not quite captured in the photo is the different charging cable(s) with different plugs which hang from the bottom of the fast-charger. The LED numerical display, displays the following: voltage (top LHS & RHS display), current & time (bottom LHS & RHS display).

Instructions:
    1. Turn ignition key to the off position, recharging for lead acid batteries only (cannot be used with lithium (e.g. LiFePO4 etc).
    2. Insert plug into your electric bike, then when audible voice makes announcement insert coin(s).
    3. Charging will begin automatically.
    4. Insert the number of CNY1 coins to increase the amount of charging time (CNY1 = 10 minute increments), charging time will be displayed (minutes) in the LED panel (as noted above)
    5. Voltage, current and polarity is adjusted automatically
    6. This electric fast charger operates automatically in combination with audible voice prompts, no attendant required. 24 hour fast charging available.
    - Pablo Picasso