Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 CF650TR instrument panel 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I obtained the new CFMoto CF650G-TR instrument panel after viewing several photos of the rear of the new panel and comparing that with the original panel so equipped on the first generation CFMoto 650TR. The major considerations were whether the electrical plug differed (how much alteration might be required) and naturally whether the instrument panel itself was of similar design/dimensions etc. I wanted to experiment whether I could get the clock & all too important tripometer absent from the first generation 650TR instrument panel.

650TR dash 01.jpg

To access the instrument panel for removal requires removal of the screen, the LHS & RHS mirror pods (excluding the mirror fixtures) & the tupperware panel under the screen as well as screws securing the panel surround that the instrument panel attaches to. This allows the panel surrounding the instrument panel to come away cleanly allowing access to the rear of the instrument panel which is held in place by 4 self tapping screws, attaching to the surround or fascia. Dislodge the wiring harness dust boot, then pull the plug gently (no securing clips to fuss with) and then the instrument panel comes away freely.

650TR Dash 2.jpg

Checked the instrument panel plug connections original versus new, seemed that the two use the same plug configuration. The obvious elephant in the room is the addition of the single wire attached with the male bullet plug connector.

Connected plug to new instrument panel and turned on the 650TR ignition with the engine stop switch activated. Idiot lights on dash came on, checked all handle bar switchgear for function - all good. Engine switch back to engine run, ECU cycled through the usual FI routine. Everything works as it should. Noted that the numerical gear selector indicator is on the new instrument panel, so cycled through the gears with bike still parked in garage without engine running. Appears that the gear indicator works. Bonus. Clock works. ABS light illuminates and remains so (bottom LHS idiot light column).

650TR dash 6.jpg

Adjusted/reset time on the digital clock. Press and hold button on instrument panel dash for >3 seconds. Hours flash. Press multiple times to alter the hour. When done, press and hold button >3 seconds to move across to the minute display and repeat the process. When complete press and hold button >3 seconds to fix time. I switched the ignition off for a time and allowed some time to pass then turned ignition on again, clock functions as expected. Experimented with gear selector indicator again, seems to work. However because it was raining I didn't take the bike for a ride to test beyond the simple 'bench test'. After checking the function of everything I then set about reassembling everything. Instrument panel fits like a glove so there is not difference in physical dimensions, all holes line up. With everything reassembled the new instrument panel looks much improved over the original. Having the clock meant I did away with the LCD clock I'd added to the top of the dash tupperware.
    I wrapped the additional/extra wire from the rear side of dash around the wiring harness so I could fit the rubber dust boot back over the plug surround. I also added a female bull clip fastener to the male end - nice and tidy.

650TR dash 3.jpg

So what about the extra wire emanating from the rear of the instrument panel? I assume it's for the ABS sensor module - not so equipped on the first generation 650TR, so that is a little redundant. I plan to take the new instrument panel out (now that it's in-situ) and disassemble to disconnect the ABS sensor light.

650TR dash 5.jpg

Note that I have modified how the screen mounts - raising the screen adjusts the air flow thereby directing the wind blast to near the top of the helmet. A little more tweaking is needed to get the adjustment - just right.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-15-2015 at 03:09 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #2 Re: CF650TR instrument panel 
    650TR dash 4.jpg

650TR dash 4-1.jpg

The numerical gear selector indicator display is quite small and not nearly as prominent as it often appears on other motorcycle instrument panels. The fact that it appears to work out of the box is an added bonus.
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: CF650TR instrument panel 
    Great post BikerDoc good to hear all works well, yes it's a shame the gear indicator are small but better then northing, I am sure many people will ask how much and can I get one in my country???
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: CF650TR instrument panel 
    Looks like a fairly easy improvement. Good to see it is compatible..
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

5. #5 Re: CF650TR instrument panel 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi there

I'm considering ordering one of these, how easy it it to disassemble and disconnect the abs light?

Thanks

Tony

6. #6 Re: CF650TR instrument panel 
    To fit the instrument panel/console requires removal of the screen (8 bolts), removal of the underlying plastic panel beneath the screen (push-pin fasteners & screws), remove the existing instrument panel and disconnection of the wiring harness.
    I didn't bother with disconnecting the ABS light as it's not that bright and consequently I've not found it a distraction while riding.
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #7 Re: CF650TR instrument panel 

8. #8 Re: CF650TR instrument panel 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi there

Ahh ok, well, I'd have to disconnect the ABS light, as any warning light on the dashboard is an MOT fail here in the UK, and hence would then be illegal to ride on the road.

MJH, perhaps just as well I'm not based in the States then :-) I always thought their main push in the US was their ATV's anyhow??

9. #9 Re: CF650TR instrument panel 
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxyeti View Post
    Hi there

Ahh ok, well, I'd have to disconnect the ABS light, as any warning light on the dashboard is an MOT fail here in the UK, and hence would then be illegal to ride on the road.

MJH, perhaps just as well I'm not based in the States then :-) I always thought their main push in the US was their ATV's anyhow??
    When you have worked it out? which could mean you need to take the back off and disconnect the ABS light somehow you can kindly post here if it was me I would be getting some black tape or some paint or better still find a more friendly MOT tester?

as any warning light on the dashboard is an MOT fail here in the UK
    Even with a bike that dont have ABS ?
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

10. #10 Re: CF650TR instrument panel 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi Yep, even if it doesn't have ABS

Any warning light is a fail, I cam a cropper to that a couple of years ago with my car, to fix it, was over £600.00, only for the same thing to happen a couple of months later. Needless to say, I didn't retain ownership of the car much after that.

I have a friendly MOT tester for my bikes, but unfortunately he wouldn't risk his license to MOT, I remember he had to jump through hoops, metaphorically speaking to become a certified MOT testing station.

I might see how my first experience of buying through a tabao agaent goes, before I try ordering a new dashboard.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast