Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ni Hao, newb here 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all.
    Been reading this forum for a while and today decided to join. I have no bike at the moment but am considering a purchase as i do miss my chances to blow out the cobwebs in the evenings or at the weekend.
    Last bike in the UK CBR 1000F and i miss it so much, great in the twisty bits and a comfortable long distance ride.
    Riding here in China can be a challenge with more crazies on the road than anywhere i have ever been (maybe with the exception of India.....oh and Paris!). i am considering a 250 up as i think anything smaller has enough power to get you into trouble but never enough to get you out.

I have ridden (borrowed) both imports and local bikes with various degrees of satisfaction during my time here, local bikes normally have less power and the bits fall off a little sooner than the imports but they are getting better, imports generally overpriced, hard to get parts for and you are more likely to get stopped by the boys in blue (maybe blue, or yellow, or whatever colour trainers the policeman decided to wear today) riding something they have not seen before.

First ride in China was a Susuki 125 rr sprot almost 20 years ago (no i did not spell it wrong, that is exactly what it said on the tank).
    Now i am thinking of delving back in recommendations regarding reliability, safety, price, warranty, etc. would be welcome from people with experience of local bike manufacturers. Help on registering would be useful too. I have my license already.

I am located in Kunshan, Jiangsu province. if there is anyone also located around this area i would love to meet for a beer....i mean coffee. Kunshan is located between Suzhou and Shanghai for those that know China and for those that don't, its a fair walk east of Manchester.

2. #2 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    Nice to have some new people on the site...so welcome!

Are you sure you'd really want a 250? Just that they perform in a bit of a car like way in terms of acceleration, so I find that if you have something with over 400cc you can keep clear of the cars much better, safer overtaking and getting away from the lights really quickly. Although there are some fairly nice 250s for fairly reasonable prices such as the Haojue Suzuki GW250. Also don't forget the Thai made Kawasaki Ninja 250 and its unfaired brother the Z250, import tariffs on those aren't too excessive.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

3. #3 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    Hello, hello!

Let's take note: one... more... Briton...

Oh man, it'll be a shock for you to downgrade from intercity bike to small calibre thumper.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

4. #4 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    Get a 600cc or 650cc bike since you are used to CBR1000F. Benelli, CF Moto, and Jialing all have options that are not too bad. I went with a Jialing JH600 because I am fat, tall, and like dual sport bike riding position over a sport bike riding position. I am only thinking of selling the JH600 because I bought a BMW F800GS. You will be fine. Some very nice mountain road riding on the opposite side of Taihu lake from you. That is where I keep my bike as I hate riding in the rat race city of Nanjing. Shanghai is worse but you can probably skirt around the lake if you wanted to take a ride.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

5. #5 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the info. One of my mates has just ordered a Benelli 600 but i've not seen it yet so i will take a look at that. He has had a Honda 150 for the last couple of years and tried to sell it to me. He said it was very quick for a small bike but it's not, i have been on much faster 125 bikes. He will probably scare himself to death when the 600 arrives if he thought the 150 was fast.
    I am not in any great rush to run out and get a new bike, i have done without one this long so i am sure i can manage for a while longer while i collect info and look around. Although i would love to get on one today as the weather is great. i know someone who got a Jialing 600 around 2011 or 2012, for the first year it spent more time in the repair shop than it did on the road and he got rid. I know a few owners and they are either sick of it breaking or singing it's praises as a great bike. Its seems a bit hit and miss regards to quality but i don't know anyone who has purchased in the last year or two and China build quality is getting much better.
    If they are being recommended now they must have improved a lot.

What about second hand bikes? Does anyone know a place close to me where i can take a look?
    Not really interested in importing myself. its not complicated and as was mentioned by ZMC888 the tariffs on small bikes are not that bad but it does put the dealer a plane ticket away if anything goes wrong.

Retro seems to be the thing now in the auto industry. You can buy a mini with modern upgrades, a beetle, etc, so when are Yamaha going to do a modern version of the RD350 LC (with either adjustable front suspension or at least a bit stiffer than they were to stop the forks bottoming out when you brake hard), that i would buy. Fast, perfect balance, beautiful and if you are so inclined very easy to tune.

Keep the advice coming, its all useful info.

6. #6 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    There are several used rides (including mine) @ "Bikes for Sale-Classified" forum here on this site. I think Bikerdoc has a CF650 still for sale and there seems to be legal Kawasaki in Shanghai. I would caution one to stay away from those not presently licensed/registered.

There are a few dealers in Shanghai. You can find some information on some of them on Advriders dot com in the Asia forum.
    DT

7. #7 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Aggie,
    Shanghai plates are as expensive as the bike. As i live in Kunshan, not Shanghai, which is in Jiangsu where i would do most of my riding then i would prefer a bike with a Jiangsu plate. In Kunshan it is not possible to register a new bike so dealers will get it registered for you in some other district in Jiangsu (for a large fee), so a used bike with Jiangsu plates just seemed to be the easiest option.
    i tried the website advriders dot com but it does not seem to be working.
    I want to take a look at a few different bikes and if poss try them out before i make a decision so any info on dealers local to me of new or used bikes would be greatly received but i preferably want to stay away from Shanghai.

thanks for the info to date.

8. #8 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    Sure, but the bikes I saw for sale on the forum in this website are all Non Shanghai "A" plate. I understand the "B" plates are not that expensive. My plate is Jiangsu "A", it is nothing like Shanghai "A" plates but still worth much more than the bike is. Good luck with the search.
    DT

9. #9 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    You might try this sight for dealers....

http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...al-etc.925334/
    DT

10. #10 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    But the smaller bike is definately more maneuverable and easier to split traffic lanes-not like anyone on this site ever do that type of thing for safetys' sake. But I am not used to riding huge moto's personally. But I do like the nimbleness of my little 250. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
    Get a 600cc or 650cc bike since you are used to CBR1000F. Benelli, CF Moto, and Jialing all have options that are not too bad. I went with a Jialing JH600 because I am fat, tall, and like dual sport bike riding position over a sport bike riding position. I am only thinking of selling the JH600 because I bought a BMW F800GS. You will be fine. Some very nice mountain road riding on the opposite side of Taihu lake from you. That is where I keep my bike as I hate riding in the rat race city of Nanjing. Shanghai is worse but you can probably skirt around the lake if you wanted to take a ride.
    A day in the life, Wake up, ride to work, work, ride home, lock bike and its beer thirty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast