Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    Quote Originally Posted by scratchndent View Post
    But the smaller bike is definately more maneuverable and easier to split traffic lanes-not like anyone on this site ever do that type of thing for safetys' sake. But I am not used to riding huge moto's personally. But I do like the nimbleness of my little 250. Just my 2 cents
    Not sure if that is the case because we would all ride a 50cc bike? around town, IMO it's all comes down to the rider and how he fills on a bigger bike in town.
    For me I can get around city's quicker on a bigger bike (without side box's) then I can on a small 50cc.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #12 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    But the smaller bike is definately more maneuverable and easier to split traffic lanes-not like anyone on this site ever do that type of thing for safetys' sake. But I am not used to riding huge moto's personally. But I do like the nimbleness of my little 250. Just my 2 cents
    Valid points for sure. My suggestion for 600cc plus was simply based OP's former CBR1000 experiences.

Whatever you ride, as long as it has two wheels, I applaud.
    DT
    Keeping the rubber side down.....most of the time.
    Nanjing wheels:BMW F800GS / Texas wheels:BMW R1200GSA & 70' Bultaco El Bandido

3. #13 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    I've spent years on smaller bikes and on mid-sized bikes and I don't really agree with you. Maneuverability is down far more to bar and peg position than weight or engine size. For example trying to ride in a city on a Fireblade CBR1000 for me was an embarrassment, not because of the weight of the bike just because it puts you in a 'superman' race position, great for track leaning and knee downing low wind resistance but terrible for me in a metropolis, at least in my hands.

A well designed mid-sized bike like a CB400, ER6 or CB500 gives away very little or nothing in a city to the average 250. A GW250 has some balls but is just too weighty for it's size so you'd gain nothing in a city over a mid size machine. Although light YBR 250 is just a bit too gutless and the brakes too poor for there to be any overall advantage. For an intermediate or newb rider possibly the smaller lighter bike is preferable, but for a skilled rider the mid-sized is best overall. You can see the proven by looking at the bikes that London motorcycle dispatch riders use CB500s are the most popular bike.

Honestly, I think you're just using wishful thinking to make having a 250cc bike OK. The fact is the engine is less powerful, the brakes are weaker. The bike IS more maneuverable, but it's only by a tiny percent in the right hands. Mostly what is better about a 250cc bike compared with a mid sized bike is the new sticker price, fuel economy and the prices of spare parts. Although a Kawasaki Ninja 250/300 or Z250/300 is certainly getting nearer the sweet spot than a YBR250.

This is just my opinion after 20 years riding and riding and about 20 bikes.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #14 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I've spent years on smaller bikes and on mid-sized bikes and I don't really agree with you. Maneuverability is down far more to bar and peg position than weight or engine size. For example trying to ride in a city on a Fireblade CBR1000 for me was an embarrassment, not because of the weight of the bike just because it puts you in a 'superman' race position, great for track leaning and knee downing low wind resistance but terrible for me in a metropolis, at least in my hands.

A well designed mid-sized bike like a CB400, ER6 or CB500 gives away very little or nothing in a city to the average 250. A GW250 has some balls but is just too weighty for it's size so you'd gain nothing in a city over a mid size machine. Although light YBR 250 is just a bit too gutless and the brakes too poor for there to be any overall advantage. For an intermediate or newb rider possibly the smaller lighter bike is preferable, but for a skilled rider the mid-sized is best overall. You can see the proven by looking at the bikes that London motorcycle dispatch riders use CB500s are the most popular bike.

Honestly, I think you're just using wishful thinking to make having a 250cc bike OK. The fact is the engine is less powerful, the brakes are weaker. The bike IS more maneuverable, but it's only by a tiny percent in the right hands. Mostly what is better about a 250cc bike compared with a mid sized bike is the new sticker price, fuel economy and the prices of spare parts. Although a Kawasaki Ninja 250/300 or Z250/300 is certainly getting nearer the sweet spot than a YBR250.

This is just my opinion after 20 years riding and riding and about 20 bikes.
    250cc bike is OK, if it is enough for you. Bigger is not better, else some sort of 5000cc bike with an engine from a car would be the best. There is no "sweet spot" either. It all depends what is enough for you. The next bike I would buy would be 150cc. That is smaller than I have ever had, but I know it would be enough for me and get its job done. I know also a few people who think that 50cc is enough for them.

I have driven with street legal racing bikes and all between them and 50cc. Powerful racing bikes are fun if you can race with them. But if you can't, then they are not fun. They are boring and frustrating beyond words when driven according to normal speed limits. They are abused if driven like that, to say the least. No point to drive them outside racing tracks, if one is going to not exceed speed limits.

Some 700cc bike is annoying too because it pretty much asks more throttle all the time, and if you give it more, you notice it should have more power, which is annoying. It is easier to be content with small bike and just enjoy the no rush ride. Not saying rush ride would be bad, it is great fun too, but it is very dangerous after all and illegal too.

5. #15 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    250cc bike is OK, if it is enough for you. Bigger is not better, else some sort of 5000cc bike with an engine from a car would be the best. There is no "sweet spot" either. It all depends what is enough for you. The next bike I would buy would be 150cc. That is smaller than I have ever had, but I know it would be enough for me and get its job done. I know also a few people who think that 50cc is enough for them.

I have driven with street legal racing bikes and all between them and 50cc. Powerful racing bikes are fun if you can race with them. But if you can't, then they are not fun. They are boring and frustrating beyond words when driven according to normal speed limits. They are abused if driven like that, to say the least. No point to drive them outside racing tracks, if one is going to not exceed speed limits.

Some 700cc bike is annoying too because it pretty much asks more throttle all the time, and if you give it more, you notice it should have more power, which is annoying. It is easier to be content with small bike and just enjoy the no rush ride. Not saying rush ride would be bad, it is great fun too, but it is very dangerous after all and illegal too.
    Sorry but I don't understand this opinion.
    I can ride my 650cc bike exactly like a 150cc if I simply chose to open the throttle less, also I can maneuver my 650cc bike about as well as a 150cc bike in city traffic.

However if I need to use it I can use the massively more powerful engine to get out of trouble and the massively more powerful brakes to stop in an emergency. So for an experienced rider with a mature attitude a mid-sized bike is best.

However I still think it is better to build up to a bigger bike, from 125-250-500 and bigger from being a new rider, but to limit yourself because you think the 250 is more maneuverable is a mistake.

If someone told me I had to stick to a 250cc single cylinder bike I'd probably just quit riding (unless it was a 2 stroke dirt bike).
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

6. #16 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    Cars do not need power steering, however in a parking lot it makes maneuvering allot easier. But once they are moving the power steering is not really needed. It is similar with motorcycles and with repect to size and maneuverability, size and weight, smaller and lighter is easier to move around, however at speed the maneuverability is a matter of the geometry of the design, a larger bike can be very maneuverable and responsive.
    As for power it should be smooth and linear, from what I have read the new generation of 250-300cc bikes have that. I believe the new R3 has that, so does the CBR300. However as you move up into and above 500cc prices go up with that and so does insurance.
    The thing is that all bikes have a power band, often many ridders stay under it, so if it is a 300cc or a 500cc up to that is not much difference, once in it the differences become apparent and in some cases not as different as you would expect.
    The point of saying a 150cc is enough, would be a person that is not interested in the power, just the experience of being on two wheels. The 150 can get up to speed, it just that there is no power band, lots of screaming to top speed but nothing that would be considered a burst of power.

7. #17 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    MJH explained things very well, just have to mention that I like the /motorized/ two wheels experience. I hate bicycling, it is a distraction which does not let my mind roam freely. Also need to add that small bikes are more forgiving. You can make a lot mistakes which will not be biggies as opposite with powerful bikes, for example, you can go full throttle and nothing serious happens, but with a big bike you can get rather wild uncontrolled wheelie ending into a bike drop.

Also small bikes cost less, can get a bit better MPG, insurance is less, parts costs less. They attract less thieves too. That's why WHAT IS ENOUGH is THE BEST for why pay more?

All those things being said, if I drive a big modern so called quality bike, it feels like I would be on a train. I like to travel in trains a lot, but I don't want to drive a train. Small crappy bikes are totally different, and I enjoy of that difference.

Anyway, no point in arguing here. There is nothing to argue. Each does have a subjective opinion on what is the best, which is good. When I was young I was in big and powerful is the best train, by the way. So very glad I am not in that train anymore! It is about the best, hehe, what has happened to me.

8. #18 Re: Ni Hao, newb here 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    Cars do not need power steering, however in a parking lot it makes maneuvering allot easier. But once they are moving the power steering is not really needed. It is similar with motorcycles and with repect to size and maneuverability, size and weight, smaller and lighter is easier to move around, however at speed the maneuverability is a matter of the geometry of the design, a larger bike can be very maneuverable and responsive.
    As for power it should be smooth and linear, from what I have read the new generation of 250-300cc bikes have that. I believe the new R3 has that, so does the CBR300. However as you move up into and above 500cc prices go up with that and so does insurance.
    The thing is that all bikes have a power band, often many ridders stay under it, so if it is a 300cc or a 500cc up to that is not much difference, once in it the differences become apparent and in some cases not as different as you would expect.
    The point of saying a 150cc is enough, would be a person that is not interested in the power, just the experience of being on two wheels. The 150 can get up to speed, it just that there is no power band, lots of screaming to top speed but nothing that would be considered a burst of power.
    Watch Japanese police doing a motorcycle gymkhana. You can see that in the right hands heavier big bikes even at lower speeds are highly maneuverable.
    Also most riders on the street ride the torque band. Simply put more torque equals more fun. Smaller engines have less torque. Smaller bikes have weaker brakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12