Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best beginner motorcycle for absolute noob and short rider ! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello !

Really need help here !!!
    Ok so I have wanted to get my own bike for quite some time now. But there's a lot of "big" problems I've to face :
    - I'm absolute noob, I only used to ride 90CC and 150 scooters, and once a 150CC chinese chopper bike......
    - I'm only 5' and 90 lbs
    - I live in Guangzhou so I would ride only on weekends, in small cities and towns. But I also plan to make some road trips to Thailand or Vietnam, etc. once a year. (will join riding club for sure).
    - and the worst, I don't have a driving license from my home country....I'm willing to take driving classes if there's any driving school in Guangzhou ?

- I want a small, reliable, lighweight, nimble, durable motorcycle but still cheap and easy to maintain though.
    - with upright driving position, comfortable after hours of riding
    - Japanese motorbikes preferred (affordable and cheap spare parts)
    - I'm neither into racing nor into show-off motorcycles. But a small motorbike that I can be proud to ride. I just want to have fun riding (no boring bikes) and enjoy the landscapes (road trips).

Please don't tell me to just get a scooter or an eletric bike or a Chinese 125-250CC (I want a bike who is reliable and durable).

But except from those 2 options, are there any others ? I made some research and found out :
    - Kawasaki ninja 300 ABS (but the official chinese dealers in Foshan/Jiangmen don't have it),
    - KTM Duke 390 (ABS)
    - Honda CBR300R,
    - Kawasaki Vulcan S,
    - Suzuki (I can't see any 250CC/300CC model in their chinese website)
    (I want to register it and there are only a few dealers in Guangdong province who are willing to help a foreigner for the registration process, so my choices are very limited as well).

But I don't know if they can adapt to Chinese roads and if Chinese mechanics are familiar with their technology.

IT SEEMS AN IMPOSSIBLE MISSION !!

Any help or suggestion pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase !
    - for my 1st bike in China
    - for the bike registration and driving license permit (better a license that is valid for all the country, not just for the province it's issued in if possible). Note : I've a Z visa and residence permit.

THANKS !!!!!!!

2. #2 Re: Best beginner motorcycle for absolute noob and short rider ! 
    If you want upright driving position and a bike what is comfortable after hours of riding, then Duke and CBR 390 R is no go. 390 Duke might be also too powerful for you, they have 200cc version too, 390 is not really a beginner bike.

Suzuki GW250 with lowered seat maybe? I see many short leg Chinese riders on it.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: Best beginner motorcycle for absolute noob and short rider ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuBen View Post
    Suzuki GW250 with lowered seat maybe? I see many short leg Chinese riders on it.

+1

Haojue Suzuki GW250
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

5. #5 Re: Best beginner motorcycle for absolute noob and short rider ! 
    C-Moto Noob
    I'll check about the Suzuki GW250, thank you all !!

6. #6 Re: Best beginner motorcycle for absolute noob and short rider ! 
    GW250 is 400 lbs, not sure it's best suited to ur 90 lbs body, especially if u ride seldom & in CH cities.

The CB300R (it's actually 286cc), or CB300F is around 350 lbs, will fit u better, seat is 30,7 inch high same as GW, if still too high use big sole boots.

Over 4000$ since u're in China, JP reliability has a price, but better resale value also.

If too expensive look into second hand CB250...

Don't discourage urself, u need ur driving license, go there and pass it first.
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

7. #7 Re: Best beginner motorcycle for absolute noob and short rider ! 
    another two alternatives might be the
    Benelli BJ251 (~ 20k RMB incl. tax and BJ B plate)
    and
    the Kawasaki Ninja 250 (38k incl tax and BJ B plate) naked.

Just checked them both last week for a friend.
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

8. #8 Re: Best beginner motorcycle for absolute noob and short rider ! 
    Hi 163
    All the bikes Recommended are very good bikes but if I may suggest you look at the Yamaha 125 YBR-G which has some off-road ability and with your future plans to travel to Vietnam Laos and Thailand I recommend that you consider a motorbike with some off-road capability .
    The YBR only cost 12,000 RMB and is only 117kg (257lb) with the fuel range of the tank over 500 km Seat height is: 785mm (30.8').
    That is not to say you can't Modify the other models for more off-road capability,I personally have travelled from Hainan to Thailand and Laos three times now with over 40.000km clocked up on the bike .
    It does lack a bit of power but for a starter bike with your travel plans IMO it is worth looking at !!

http://www.ybr125g.com

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's important to make sure you view the YBR G and not just the YBR and the new model is called the YBR GK.
    Last edited by prince666; 09-24-2015 at 08:55 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #9 Re: Best beginner motorcycle for absolute noob and short rider ! 
    You could also get a new Honda CBF190 see how that works out for you. That’s an “Asian Model” which are designed for people that are smaller in stature. Since you are a bantam weight you should take advantage of that. You will have a great power to weight ratio. You can always cash it in at resale if you feel you are ready to move to a more powerful model, you may not, it may totally satisfy your needs. Plus if you visit another country, you can access Honda there for service, you probably will not have to.

10. #10 Re: Best beginner motorcycle for absolute noob and short rider ! 
    Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    You could also get a new Honda CBF190 see how that works out for you. That’s an “Asian Model” which are designed for people that are smaller in stature. Since you are a bantam weight you should take advantage of that. You will have a great power to weight ratio. You can always cash it in at resale if you feel you are ready to move to a more powerful model, you may not, it may totally satisfy your needs. Plus if you visit another country, you can access Honda there for service, you probably will not have to.
    Great bike choice but sadly I don't think it's sold in China and not even sold in Thailand.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast