Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Jon from Virginia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello all,

As the title suggests, my name is Jon and I live in Virginia. I traded an old Nissan Altima for my first bike last week which is a Zongshen 250 GS.

Needless to say I am very excited!!

The big selling point was that it only had 356 miles and it is an 06. It didn't run but he said all I have to do is clean the carb and get a new battery.

After he drove off in my car I thought, "what kind of 9 year old bike has 356 miles on it?"
    A bike that has been sitting! And that is never good.

So I went to the internet, probably should have done that before the bike got to my driveway, and realized that there is hardly any information on this particular bike. There are a bunch of videos on youtube not in english. Everyone says they have the manual and will upload it but all the links are broken. I've heard prominent members of various forums say that the engine is a Yamaha or Kawasaki clone, never specific as to which particular engine. Zongshen's presence is not that visible in the US anymore, although they have websites in english, none offer a repair manual. Most stories and forum threads on this bike seem to be posted by a guy who knows a guy who's girlfriend drove one. She has the manual and they will scan it. Or I have to take a survey to download it.

On the plus side, I think parts may be easy to find. Although this might become a street fighter should I ever get it running. And no one seems to being doing that to these bikes either.

Is there a reason for this bikes lack of internet presence? Have I stumbled onto a rare gem? Or did everyone throw theirs out as soon as they bought it? Should I tear it down or put it back on Craigslist?

Can anyone point me in a solid direction? I've used the search button plenty on various forums. I was planning to lurk for a while but I've got to reach out. Thanks a whole lot and hopefully I can contribute to the discussions in the future!

Sincerely,

Jon

2. #2 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    Welcome Jon, cant help with a manual but if it has been sitting a long time ditch the gas in the tank and check the fuel tap for sludge. The tank is also probably rusty inside so at least install an inline fuel filter.You want to get rid of every drop of that old gas. Put a battery in it , change the oil and kick it in the guts.

If it goes (and it most likely will) take it from there. If you can take a close up pic of the engine I'm sure somebody here can identify it.

3. #3 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks zhu!

Here are some picture of the motor.

And a shot of the oil dipstick. I realize that this is an air cooled engine and there is no water, but if this oil came out of my car looking this murky I'd be worried. I will definitely change it, but what do you guys think?

Thanks again!

4. #4 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    Yeah that's not great, the small round case in front of the clutch cover is the oil filter so pluck that out and see what is in there, the filter at least tells us it is not a Honda clone.

C-Moto Guru
    Please give a pic of the other side of the engine. And if You can, the engine number 172fmm, or something like that.
    It should have the FMM because it is F air cooled, M-motorcycle used and M-250 (or is this L-200cc)

6. #6 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Beniamin, I don't see numbers like the ones you've described. This is the sticker with the engine number and some other details. The engine family shown is 6ZGNC.239GS1

Other side of engine

this is what I think zhu was talking about

C-Moto Guru
    It is than a ohc engine.

8. #8 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by beniamin82 View Post
    It is than a ohc engine.
    There doesn't seem to be anything to spin a cam like a belt or chain that I can see. Pushrod maybe? I've got nothing on google for 6ZGNC engines or motors.

In the meantime, I'm going to drain oil/gas and put some fresh stuff in and see if I can get it to turn over.

9. #9 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    Oh my god!
    A Chinese bike with the name of the actual manufacturer on the side! That's a rarity!

Charge the battery, change the fuel and oil and fingers crossed.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

10. #10 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    At the rear of the engine can be seen a camchain tensioner leading one to believe it has an overhead cam i.e. ohc. I think it is a copy of a Suzuki Gn engine.

The small cover you removed is the oil filter cover so if you reach into the hole you will find the filter.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast