Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Also, what goes in this hole? It's large, threaded and is a passage way into the intake area before the butterfly valve.

2. #22 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    After a bit more research I think I'm missing the air needle. And the float needle is what the float is attached to, so I guess my question is how to remove it? Or should it just pull out with the float? Do I pry at it or soak it in something? Thanks again everyone in advance.

3. #23 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    Can only guess that the hole is for mixture screw.

4. #24 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    This "nail head" that holds float is float valve or float needle.

His job is, along with float, is to maintain determined fuel level in a float chamber. Valve must to move freely up and down, and depending on float position (fuel level, that is) to opens or closes fuel inflow. But as you can see, little bastard is stuck here, so be careful not to bend those tabs on a float that contact with "nail head" - those tabs can cause another set of problems.

Dip whole carb into diesel or gasoline for a day, or try to spray some carburetor cleaner in fuel inlet. After that, little bastard will probably come out, Also, ultrasound bath treatment could help a lot, not only with float valve.

About threaded hole: I'm not familiar wit this particular carb (MV30P), but in general, on CV carbs, in front of butterfly can be idle mixture screw, but this orifice inside throttle doesn't look to like idle mixture hole. What to say? Keep googling. Or buy new one.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

5. #25 Re: Jon from Virginia 

6. #26 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!������

The choke wasn't missing but it appears to have been dangling on the bike for a while...

And is controlled by this button...

Of course I don't have to tell y'all this.��

7. #27 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    No biggie!

We're here to help each other, learn something new, chat about bikes...

So, your choke is cable actuated.

You said that this is first carb you rebuilt. First in general of first motorcycle CV type?

I would say that this carb needs thorough cleaning and that everything is OK. Regardless of low mileage, I would check is it everything OK with the membrane - nine years are... nine years. You could never be too distrustful when it comes to rubber details on Chinese bikes. There are many instructions on the Web on how to check its condition.

If I may add, about carburetor cleaners. Among ingredients is acetone and as I know, this stuff can react aggressively on some type of plastic, so, as people say, it is better to be safe than sorry - be careful with membrane, its plastic cap, float an all the rest non metallic details.

8. #28 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the advice. This is my first bike ever and also my first time working on a carburetor, so yeah, I have some catching up to do. I am tempted to take it to a pro, but I want the experience and you have been helping plug along just fine I think. I'll continue to post as I progress. Thanks again!

9. #29 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    http://ttr250.activeboard.com/t55374...rettor/?page=1 That may not be identical to yours?

You can get parts from Yamaha for those,

Their is a company out of the UK that sells some parts on Amazon, they sell a compete new carb.
    http://www.amazon.com/TK-Carburettor.../dp/B00EDRY46C

10. #30 Re: Jon from Virginia 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    No, they're similar but it doesn't seem the gaskets are the same. I wonder if I can just do a swap?

I went to the Yamaha dealer today and they said they can't look it up unless there's a specific yamaha part number that I can give them. Is there a Yamaha bike that used the TK mv30p carb?

I soaked the carb in PB Blaster and i was able to get the float needle and seat out, but the little pin holding the needle to the float broke off. Now I don't know where to get the parts for it. This is why I was wondering if it would be possible to do a carb swap with maybe a yamaha carb? The parts guy at the Yamaha dealer said he didn't think this was possible...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast