Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. #31 Re: 永源 枭风1号 Jonway 
    That’s a big block, what is it that your proposing for that engine?
    There are allot of V-twins engines
    http://www.oemoffhighway.com/product...v-twin-engines

2. #32 Re: 永源 枭风1号 Jonway 
    I believe that my proposal to Chinese manufacturers would be "If new design is too much fuss for you, than use something that already exist and do this step forward we all expect".

Let them to use, if necessary, even design of industrial motors, to get something different than today's Chinese motorcycle engine mainstream.

If you remember, 400 cc "Xingyue" thumper was made this way. It is not example quite commendable example, but still...
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #33 Re: 永源 枭风1号 Jonway 
    I cannot really comment too much on the topic, other than these engines are big and heavy.
    I imagine they spin pretty consistently, no transmission just speed adjustment through a throttle which is pretty rudimentary, so they would need a CVT or a gear box and they are already heavy.
    I admit I have had thought about approaching some of the engine manufactures, proposing they develop engines for motorcycles, Kohler was one I considered first as they are partnering with Yinxiang. I thought about the feasibility a Kohler branded motorcycles too. That be a big investment for them however they would have access to very large markets through Yinxiang.

Allot of engineering goes into the industrial engines, they have much greater return. I wonder though if these engineers could be utilized in developing engines for motorcycles?

4. #34 Re: 永源 枭风1号 Jonway 
    Some people in the US used those V2 engines for their projects, like this gentleman - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x5bXZbtpR4.

It is possible to fit those industrial engines with proper transmission on a bike, but it wouldn't be a tight packed bike (comparing to bikes with... sorry for this... sorta tautology... comparable power). Yes, they all, no matter are they gasoline or diesel, rev up to 3600 rpm, maybe some more if you take away governor system and fit lighter flywheel, but, IMO, that (low revs) isn't crucial problem, even their weight, or clanky OHV valvetrain, or fact that most of those widely available industrial engines are, as "Honda" said, "uniblock" (unlike on common motorcycle engines, crankcase and cylinder (or cylinders) are cast together). But price is.

True: those single cylinder clones of "Honda" GX160/200 (on the previous page you posted pic of a mini bike with such engine) up to "big bore" clones of GX340/390 are pretty affordable, but they have really rudimentary lubrication system - splash only. This is not good idea for a motorcycle engine. Plus, you have to think how to get some more juice for electrical system...

Although, if opportunity arises i would knock together on a cheap Chinese ATV frame, some reverse trike with GX clone, some common scooter CVT and... LPG powered.

About "Kohler" and "Yinxiang", mark my word - they'll put together sporty "Lombardini" diesel engine for tillers named "Ciuco scatenato".

5. #35 Re: 永源 枭风1号 Jonway 
    Ridley’s were or are if they are still made, selling for over 15k, so you’re right they could make one and for less. I would want the guard over the transmission gear, without it I imagine it grapping my pant leg and pulling me in.

The Ridley story, something to take note of relating to the use of trademarks haphazardly.

Redirect
    Last edited by MJH; 05-13-2016 at 01:45 AM.

6. #36 Re: 永源 枭风1号 Jonway 
    I am such a fan of Oberdan Bezzi...

Some more of his renditions of a big block CVT.
    Last edited by MJH; 05-18-2016 at 03:04 AM.

7. #37 Re: 永源 枭风1号 Jonway 
    I like idea to bring Ridley back the with Yinxiang and Kohler.
    The goal would be to get the cost down and retail prices down.

Several versions of the CVT....one could be an enduro.
    Last edited by MJH; 05-13-2016 at 11:07 AM.

8. #38 Re: 永源 枭风1号 Jonway 
    This slightly more resembles enduro bike than one OCC made for "Gander", outdoor gear retailer.

No, seriously, this vario tranny on Ridley's bikes look so cumbersome and... unnecessary big. I believe that common maxi scooter (the one who can cope with industrial V2 torque) tranny is smaller (not taking into account its housing).

9. #39 Re: 永源 枭风1号 Jonway 
    This conversation fits best here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234