Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Jawa 350 Style

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Well, but Zetor is not exactly street legal, besides in the nearby small city, Mikkeli, they prohibited driving literally around the bazar with tractors during night. I could only laugh, but something really changed in the city, and I would not say that change was for good.

But what say you, Zorge, regarding MZ vs Jawa. In my mind there is still words "MZ is posh when compared to Jawa". Really??? Can't be so

2. #12 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    But Zetor hired Volkswagen's engine department to design engines, so now-days Zetors are enviromental-friendly and silent.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #13 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Eh, what a pity! They had good engineers in Zetor, now they took VW engineers, and soon they get a tractor which does not consume fuel at all, it in fact produces fuel and cleans air – at least on the paper

4. #14 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Tomorrow going to get the JAWA. I wonder do JAWA drivers spend time in internet forums or do they spend time fixing their bike?

5. #15 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    They spend time on the Net looking for the spare parts.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Miko, don't trust to the oil mixer they fitted (I think they did) on "Jawa". If something is wrong with this thing (it happens sometimes), you could damage the engine. Just in case, make proper premix with the best two-stroker oil you could find (I do not say "Castrol" TTS, but... something like that). Anyway, during break-in period, extra oil will not hurt. And take with you, if not couple of spark plugs (it won't be bad, because, by my experience, those Czech "Brisk" spark plugs could work just fine, and second later, they could suddenly die), than at least 21 mm spark plug socket and the wire brush or piece of sandpaper, if engine starts to stall, to clean the soot from the spark plug electrodes. This could be handy, especially if the engine runs on a generous gasoline-oil mixture and you are not too eager to twist the throttle to the high revs.

6. #16 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    There is an oil mixer, the seller said he has never heard of them failing. MZ had one too, it was pretty much rock solid if you kept the mechanism clean. The seller is an old man, almost seventy years old Jawa fanatic. He prepares the bike for me, I guess he can do good work if he want to do so. He will also spend time giving instructions for me about the the maintenance of the bike. He is totally confident no problems will come. I am not so confident, that your spark plug tip was a good one as the engine is getting more oil for breaking in period and I will have to drive without taxing the engine.

It is small adventure no matter of the bike when one gets a new bike. I have about 220 km to drive the Jawa to its new home tomorrow. Been thinking can I stop the engine at all once it is running, else I risk that the engine wont start up anymore Will take time before I trust the conradictious reliability of Jawa, when half of the people say it is the worst bike they have had and other half say it is the best bike they have had.

7. #17 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    I have learned a new word by the way. "Temperamental". Some said their Jawa was temperamental. I will have to remember that word tomorrow and understand the bike accordingly, if problems come

8. #18 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    C-Moto Guru
    Extra oil is better not only during the break-in. In worst case, it will foul the plug, but if you have a spare, as Zorge, suggests, that's not a problem. And you may need to clean/change exhaust packing a bit often, but that's nothing compared to worn rings, cylinder scratches, etc.

And I'm not a fan of using "expensive" oils too, but that's a personal "preference" :D

9. #19 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Got the bike, it was in excellent condfition, like just came from a factory, or better. It is a super bike, I like it a lot! Was in a heaven the first hour, after that I just grinned being totally satisfied.

Can't really compare MZ and Jawa. They are different, and both are individuals. He who said MZ is posh, has said very well. MZ is like civilized city girl while Jawa is like a little rough country girl. I like them both, a lot, and helluva lot more than ANY japanese or European bike. Very glad I went back to the basics, where bikes have quirks and vibrations.

One thing where Jawa shines high above MZ is the engine sounds. That twin totally rocks! It is awesome to listen it in traffic lights as the pistons disagree to go in a rhythm but rather negotiates different rhythm each.

Four strokes just can't beat two strokes if one has been conditioned to enjoy two strokes, like I have with Yamaha DT and especially MZ.

TL;DR: The search is over. I found my bike.

10. #20 Re: Jawa 350 Style 

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast