Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Jawa 350 Style

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1. #91 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    And how about some skis?

I knew that I saw somewhere photo of a Finnish soldier on "Jawa" with skis.

After some googling, I've found some videos on YT. For example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqkgcVGknCM . IMO, it is possible to make pair of these skis and fit them on a bike.

Oh man, with those on your bike, even "Hesari" would publish story about you.

But during my search I've figured one more thing, not about "Jawa", skies, studs or chains. Browsing through search results about "Jawa" with skis, one thumbnail pic caught my eye.

Clicked on it, and...

Long story - short: it appears that you in Finland have been ridden "Tomos" mopeds, ex Yugoslav, now Slovene, which I mentioned here several times. I knew that "Tomos" had their Dutch assembly plant, but those Finnish mopeds are surprise for me. OK, this one on a picture above has only "Tomos" engine, but this one, "Solifer Automattii"...

...is "Tomos Automatic" from the 70's!
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #92 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Very interesting posting because I don't really recall that Solifer Speed 73 moped. Also that Solifer Tomos Automatic is a new moped for me. Solifer was a peculiar company, it seems, rebranded several mopeds. They manufacture Solifer travel trailers, which are popular and liked in Finland.

Below is Solifer Suzuki PV, moped, which was the shit with Honda Monkey when I was a teenager.

Hehe, have to say that is still really cool moped. Boys tuned those madly by changing the cylinder to 80cc among other things. It could easily go 120 km/h, which was a bit suicidal for the chassis and suspension Great fun nonetheless, you felt like you would begin to fly like an aeroplane on the airfield

Below is the most loved moped in Finland

Though, not that much loved by teenagers because it was said to be Pappa-Tunturi, that is Grandfather-Tunturi, meaning Oldie-Moped. Anyway, it would win anyday what is the most loved moped in Finland contest.

Below would be Helkama Raisu, which was the shit just before I was a teenager.

That is really cool model, and such a pita every company has stopped making mopeds in Finland. What a huge loss! But of course, peculiar Solifer still rebrands mopeds, this time from China..

People talk those to be cheapest and crappiest china mopeds people can get.

3. #93 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    About Jawas with skis: The retiree who took me to get the Jawa said to me several times that if I am going to drive in the winter, then I must get those skis, that they are really good. I said that none manufactures them anymore, but he insisted that I must get them

About Pappa-Tunturi, I have seen in this village a few times old school Pappa-Tunturi drivers without helmets, just some fur hat or something on the head. They are like those NHL players who had special permit to not wear a helmet Will for sure follow one when I see one next time with my Jawa and camera, and document them

Edit: Those first Tunturi mopeds were by the way hand made
    Last edited by moilami; 11-07-2015 at 06:50 PM.

4. #94 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    "Pappa Tinturi" is nice!

Can you imagine: "Earles" fork on a moped!

I would like to see what is inside his engine. It is forced-air cooled "Puch", that is obvious, like on early "Tomos" with manual clutch, but this time, with automatic transmission.

5. #95 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Well, they have written books about Pappa-Tunturi, but I am not an expert of if. I think they used Puck motor. Here is one of the earliest models from 50's.

That is freaking beauty and art!

Here is Superman gaze to the Puch engine :D

Interesting air intake solution:

Pics from small historic page http://www.rapapapat.net/11

Dunno, I am happy big time that I have a machine from the Old World, the Jawa

Edit: Those first Pappa-Tunturis were by the way hand made

6. #96 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Fuck this shit. The shop from where I ordered tires emailed me and said they don't have the front tire, but they are trying to get info when they get it. Why in the name of all that is holy assholes sell them if they can't deliver!

7. #97 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    You are really resolved to ride a bike during winter too.

I kinda empathize with you and keep asking myself what I would do, if I have to ride motorcycle in the winter.

You mentioned hand guards - did you saw so far something that suits you?

Plus, I saw some, so called "wind deflectors" - knee/leg/foot guards mounted on crash bars and some additional deflectors on a triple clamps. Any thoughts about that?

8. #98 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    I ordered tires below as replacement for the Heidenaus. They are both classified as rear tires, but I suppose there is nothing what prevents or make them bad if used in front? I have understood those are reinforced in some way so that they are more durable in rear.

https://mprenkaat-store.com/tkc-twin...as-p-5822.html
    https://mprenkaat-store.com/tkc-twin...as-p-5823.html

What has been the biggest problem for me in winter has been feets, or especially toes, and fingers. Upper parts of legs has not suffered of cold that much, I guess there are more blood and flesh on those parts. In about -20 celcius head and chest can get severe cold too. It matters a lot how long and how fast you drive in winter. If you drive fast and for long, then surely any wind protection is good. At -5 celsius and with about 20 km distances there is no probs worth to mention (if you have excellent motorcycling equipment). A bit cold can become, but before it begins to be notable you have already driven that 20 km.

Met the woman I wrote about earlier and spend two days with her, and what the hell, she is like a woman of my life, and such a beauty from inside to outside that there is nothing lacking in her. I had lost my hope I could find anymore a woman with whom I could connect in depth, but no, I found one, and she is unbeliavable in all ways. Totally stunning, and so much so that I could write already a small book of her wonders!

Edit: Back to tires. Forgot to mention I am not very happy with those Continentals. They can take a loads of kilometers, which predicts they are a bit hard rubber, which makes them bad in snow, and if there is cold, them can become even more hard and bad. We'll see.

In the summer any tires can do easily, but in winter one should really get the best tires he can because the friction, or better said, sudden lack of friction can cause a crash.

9. #99 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    I am such poor boy totally enthusiastic of my Jawa and the Woman, who solved the problem of naming Jawa without me even asking how I should name Jawa. She gave a name Iron Lady for the Jawa

I wonder should I give a nickname Margaret Thatcher for my Jawa

10. #100 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Did you checked can those "Continentals" fit on your bike, more precise - is there extra width inside swingarm for those knobs?

BTW, those "Petroshinas" mentioned earlier are pretty soft tires, so maybe they are good for the winter.

About winter riding - stop complaining. Who forced you to sell your MZ? One "Volkspolizei's" fairing would solve all your problems.

And stop acting like a horny reindeer.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast