Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Jawa 350 Style

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. #121 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Engagement trip with Miroslava, Part 1

So, it was a rainy day in a sucky so called summer in Finland, which has been so far extraordinary sucky even by Finnish standards, in this Western Sibir Peninsula. I had a plan to go meet Mr. Simpanen, the Jawa king in Finland. I also had a plan to visit one lady in a trip I called engagement trip for Jawa. This was by far enough plans for the trip. And off we went with Miroslava. I started her up and rode outside of the parking hall. After 20 meters riding outdoors sudden heavy power loss happened, and I realilzed that Jawa is working with only one cylinder. I remembered I forgot to disable manual choke, and thought maybe the spark plug has been fouled. There was no turning back, so I kept riding to the nearby gasoline station to check the bike.

Jawa had indeed fouled the spark plug, and after a few minutes everything was good to continue the journey, and with a bike instead of a train! So far so good that even the rain mattered nothing. It is actually better if it rains already than if it just looks like there must be a rain coming. When it rains already you can wait for the inevitable end of the rain instead of thinking will it begin to rain. It is one step, or wheelie, closer to the sunshine!

I passed a woman bicycling with sidebags. There was the spirit! I always adore those who can do bicycle long journeys. I certainly can't. I curse the bicycle all the time and wish I had a motorcycle. This started when I was about ten years old, except at that age I did not curse, I just wished I had a moped as I bicycled as fast as I could on dirt roads and saw all them exciting knobby tracks. With a moped I could drive faster, I figured.

The weather really was quite cold, so it was time to stop on a small city called Hyvinkää (?) and take a walk to warm a bit. I was in a hell good mood because I made a principle to not be in a hurry no matter what. So I basicly had all the time in the world, which was very relaxing.

To be continued...

2. #122 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Every time I see a picture of your bike I feel it should have some DS tires like some MT60rs tires or something. For whatever reason it screams scrambler to me. Maybe it is all the black and white photos.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone

3. #123 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Heh, how not to know at least basic facts, when I am retired military forum mod? I'm loaded with useless knowledge.

Almost quarter of a century ago, I also served in Armored Brigade, but as a gun mechanic, not tank crewman.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

4. #124 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Quote Originally Posted by Asymptomatic View Post
    Every time I see a picture of your bike I feel it should have some DS tires like some MT60rs tires or something. For whatever reason it screams scrambler to me. Maybe it is all the black and white photos.

I think I have a pair of MT60s by Continental, I had winter spikes embedded on them, they are my winter tires. Has not come into my mind that indeed this Jawa could be like a scrambler. A very good suggestion! But Jawa spirit is a bit cheap spirit, and scrambler style DS tires are much more expensive than some retro Mitas or Russian tires :) Anyway will have to think about it, how to make Jawa a Scrambler lady :) A great suggestion :)

5. #125 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Heh, how not to know at least basic facts, when I am retired military forum mod? I'm loaded with useless knowledge.

Almost quarter of a century ago, I also served in Armored Brigade, but as a gun mechanic, not tank crewman.
    Military stuff is good stuff but bikes are better :)

6. #126 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Imagine this: military bikes.

I saw there with my own eyes (and do some light petting), some really low mileage "Guzzis". Those were 100% "Guzzis", but after all this time, I can tell for sure which models, "Nuovo Falcone" or V35s.

7. #127 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    The engament trip with Miroslava, part 2

The sky begun to brighten the closer I came to Hämeenlinna. I saw that soon it would be too late to buy beer for the camping, rolled to a fuel station, and saw there was just a few minutes time to buy beer. In Finland it is illegal to sell beer in shops after 9 o'clock. So I rushed, grabbed beer, and got them just before 9 o'clock. Sometimes one is lucky, other times not so.

There was nothing much what interested me in Hämeenlinna more than tanks in nearby Parola, so it was time to hit the road after drinking a warm cup of tea and eating a rye sandwich filled generously with pulled pork. Travel rations gave much needed energy in cold weather and tea was fantastical, much better than coffee, at least much better than bad coffee what they sell in fuel stations.

Living in Finland has been a treat – weather aside – there has not been a war in 70 years. These relics from WW2 serve as a good reminder about what it is when things go all crazy. Now they rest majestically instead of engines roaring.

Serious business, serious thrill. Kill, or become killed. Have the nerves made of steel, or be sure to be destroyed.

A moment of silence was in order. And I was lucky to be alone. Or not.

Miroslava was waiting for me. And more. I got a message from the sweet lady that she is waiting for me. What could be better, I can not tell, and told her that. Sometimes life is more than a treat.

(Oh Curses! Can only attach 5 pictures to a post...so to be continued...)

8. #128 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Imagine this: military bikes.

I saw there with my own eyes (and do some light petting), some really low mileage "Guzzis". Those were 100% "Guzzis", but after all this time, I can tell for sure which models, "Nuovo Falcone" or V35s.
    Yeah, well, been toying with an idea to get whatever military bike, and let she have well respected and cared for retirement days :) Been also thinking about getting a job from Statoil and getting the ultimate:

Aaah, just need the job in Statoil before that, this is how the world changes

9. #129 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    The engagement trip with Miroslava, part 3

The sun begun to shine, smiling warmly to those upon the Earth. I was content and grateful of everything. I did not want to reach the moon, to be in some "exotic" place in other side of the world, where there is nothing exotic in general for locals. So all places are ordinary, yet any place can be exciting and enjoyable.

Knights of the Mannerheim Cross. The honour well earned of extraordinary bravery.

Buried all under the ground, except one is still living.

Incoming crossroads, many ways to chose. Where to go? Reaching for the moon is definetly not an option. The grass is not more green on the other side of the fence, though, often turning back does not make much sense either. So it is good to go forward like in the ensemble of Armoured Division, Lagus's arrows, point. Them men of Lagus of Panzer Division were said to go always forward, even when retreating the arrows pointed forward.

There is much to be seen and experience in this world. A good start for it would be just go do it, to just go explore and experience the world. A motorcycle is great for that, much better than a car. A motorcycle trades unnecessary comfort of sitting on a couch like being bottled inside a barrel to the open world experience of wind, light and rain.

When possible, it can be good to open the eyes for a different view.

(To be continued...)
    Last edited by moilami; 06-16-2017 at 10:44 AM.

10. #130 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Gosh, I hope that you'll not bring together these B&W photos and PJ Harvey's music, because some suicidal tendencies may appear. Some of your photos evoke some strange feelings.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast