Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Jawa 350 Style

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
  1. #141 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Yes, there is no place like home.

And where no one would look at you like you fell from the Mars, when you pronounce: "Missä on lähin Jawan mekaanikko?".

Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #142 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Haha, yeah, but the good thing in Jawa is that any mechanic familiar with motorcycles should not have much problems with anything in Jawa :) That is, IMHO, priceless :)=

3. #143 Re: Jawa 350 Style 

It is a keeper :) Miroslava :)

4. #144 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    No, no... My point is not on "Jawa" mechanic, but on Finnish language, which sounds like no other.

I mean, I live in region where you can hear almost half of dozen Slavic languages: Serbo-Croatian, Slovak, Rusyn... Knowing two any Slavic languages - the doors are wide open to easily learn couple more (except, at least for me, Czech and Polish - they are killing me). Also, you can hear Romanian, which is in group of Romance languages, so if you have heard and know some Italian or Spanish, you can connect the dots and understand some things in Romanian. But there is also Hungarian, which is, like Finnish, in group of Finno-Ugric languages.... Man, I must to admit that I do understand - nothing. Not a single word! And it is hard to pronounce even single extended sentence.

5. #145 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    No, no... My point is not on "Jawa" mechanic, but on Finnish language, which sounds like no other.

I mean, I live in region where you can hear almost half of dozen Slavic languages: Serbo-Croatian, Slovak, Rusyn... Knowing two any Slavic languages - the doors are wide open to easily learn couple more (except, at least for me, Czech and Polish - they are killing me). Also, you can hear Romanian, which is in group of Romance languages, so if you have heard and know some Italian or Spanish, you can connect the dots and understand some things in Romanian. But there is also Hungarian, which is, like Finnish, in group of Finno-Ugric languages.... Man, I must to admit that I do understand - nothing. Not a single word! And it is hard to pronounce even single extended sentence.
    Yeah, I understood what you meant about the language, it just came into my mind that in that kind of situation, after the initial "is it an alien speaking" event, Jawa could easily get a mechanic able to fix it :)

They say Hungarian and Hungary are like relatives to Finnish and Finland, to me it does not look so but rather like some random similar words. But maybe linguastic professors know better :) What is similar with Finnish is what Estonians speak. Though, Estonian sounds maddening, I still believe that if I would be well wasted and would have to listen Estonian language I would simply go mad because it does sound so similar yet very different :)

6. #146 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Changed gear oil to Jawa, used Motox 80W-90, which is what the Big Book suggests, other than the brand. Paid about 5 euro of the gear oil, was the cheapest oil on the shelf. Kilometers has been counted about 2650, and there was some glitter in the bottom of the plate I used to drain the oil into. Sadly it was not gold but metal from Jawa being grinded into the oil. Changed oil before this at 500 km, so between 500 and 2650 it still grinded material from gears. Next oil change is scheduled to be optionally at 5000 km or at latest at 10 0000 km. Think I will change at 5000 km and observe is there still some glitter.

Been thinking that could it be so that the engine seized because of air leak through air filter pipe "sealing" to the carburetor? Jawa at times ran irregularly at idle speed, I though it is because of some dirt in jets or because of failed electronics, but when I changed the piston I used grease to seal air filter pipe sealings to carb, and after that Jawa has idled stable like a clock. Also it fouled one spark plug, which was a surprise to me. I have 100 main jet, which is what the Big Book recommends. However, Simpanen and a few Jawa drivers say 90 is the correct size after breaking in. Thus if there was a leak, the 100 main jet countered a bit of it, and now after no leak 100 is too rich and fouled the spark plug?

Adjusted the Oil Master to give a bit more oil. The slight ringing of piston rings when throttling has become less noticeable and disappears completely at certain revs. Chose to observe how it develops and what happens instead of changing new piston rings.

Still happy with the Jawa. I think it is an excellent bike if cared for by experienced rider not making noob mistakes.

Edit: Oh, by the way, changed to my 20 years old carbon FM helmet I used when riding with MZ. Broke the visor of my new helmet when visited Simpanen and the helmet fell to the grass off the bike. FM helmet is superior, so very light and silent! Italian made quality helmet, the best by FM back then in time. Thanks to damn Chinese the FM factory is non existent nowadays, found out when searched for a new visor to FM.

7. #147 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    I wouldn't be concerned about oil quality. When this "Jawa" engine was designed, oil like the the one you bought was available only for Space Shuttle. I'm sure that Miroslava will love it.

And don't be worried about glitter and even chips, especially with such low mileage. Your engine is still in break-in period by any definition, so you can expect increased quantity of debris from the gearbox cogs and also from the clutch plates. I fitted on my little tiller fancy blue anodized magnetic drain plug with four "fingers". This thing picks up all ferrous sh... from engine internals and it does even after... 5 or 6 oil changes. Using this thing, you can oversee engine's health: if after break-in period you catch sight of increased amount of chips, be sure that something has already started to go south.

I don't believe that seizing was because of air leak between air filter and carb. Yes, engine could suck in some dust, but IMO, this wouldn't influence on air/fuel ratio, and consequently, idle. In short - if air leak happens in front of carb's Venturi pipe, that doesn't make influence on how engine run, and if this leak happens behind Venturi pipe (where all air/fuel mojo happens), then you can experience unstable idle, lean mixture and all that stem from that.

Cause for fouled spark plug can be too rich air/fuel mixture, but you didn't run your engine on low revs: I think that "draft" through cylinder was sufficient to blow out all products of combustion.

8. #148 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Space shuttle Sounds like Jawa would had been Hi-Tec back in time

9. #149 Re: Jawa 350 Style 

Aaaah, two weeks gone with the kids and at last a chance to ride with Miroslava. Had to look for some forest paths because got so excited of Enduro in other thread in MCM. Miroslava was great in forest paths because I rode slowly and avoided doing any tracks on the paths. Eco!

On tarmac when returning to home got a sudden rise on revs. Pulled clutch instantly and rolled to nearest buss stop. Everything felt fine however and I throttled back to Tarmac. There, Miroslava was like a new bike, taking revs very eagerly while vibrations were like non existent on feets. Maybe it got some pea out of nose? Who knows, but I am quite suspicious how she will behave.

10. #150 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    On tarmac when returning to home got a sudden rise on revs. Pulled clutch instantly and rolled to nearest buss stop. Everything felt fine however and I throttled back to Tarmac. There, Miroslava was like a new bike, taking revs very eagerly while vibrations were like non existent on feets. Maybe it got some pea out of nose? Who knows, but I am quite suspicious how she will behave.
    Engine rises revs, at first sight, without reason, also in case if he gets too lean mixture, when carb doesn't provide enough fuel - cause can be too low fuel level in carb bowl (stuck needle valve, closed/dirty petcock, etc.). That is the first that comes to mind.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast