Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Jawa 350 Style

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
  1. #51 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    I've heard that "Nokian" starts production of a studded "Hakkapeliitta" for motorcycles.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #52 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    BTW, what you got as a stock?

"Mitas" H-03?

3. #53 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Mitas 3.25 H-04 front and Mitas 3.5 H-03 rear. Love the Mitas H-04 on front, it does have some profile like well formed bust or rear of a woman!

In MZ I simply had Heidenau on the front and some MX knobble rear. Rear knobble worked very well.

4. #54 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Been thinking this to rear http://www.satapiikki.fi/epages/sata.../18MIC02340VKE

And this to front http://www.satapiikki.fi/epages/sata...ucts/18MI190VK

To me they look like they would fit on my bike.

But what does those numbers mean exactly? Like the rear candidate 120/90-18? 120 is width of course, but is 90 height or "profile"? 18 is obvious diameter, no probs with that.

What profile things I need to consider if I buy tires which are not the same "set" for rear and front?

If I have a 3.5 (inches?) rear tyre, it would be about 88 mm, so quite a lot not that wide as 120/90 tire. Too wide I guess? Should have 4.25 rear for that?

This shit was easier in the good old days when you just drove to the merchant and said do you have them winter tyres for me.

Edit: A nice math fail, 3.5 inches would be about 102 mm.
    Last edited by moilami; 10-28-2015 at 06:37 PM.

5. #55 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Heh, before "Heidenau", during DDR time, this factory was making tires branded as "Pneumant". Those tires were not consumable parts - they were for ever.

...And they had such a good grip, as much a marmelade on a flannel shirt.

Seriously, if you are looking for some tires for experimenting, maybe you could try to order some "Petroshina" from your big eastern neighbors. They have factory and factory retail store in St. Petersburg, and the prices are hilarious - some 20 euros for 3,25-3,50 18" tires and 3-3,5 for inner tubes.

I had intention to hire my muscovite friend to shove in his pick-up some 18 and 21" "Petroshina" tires for me, but I was afraid of these heavy duty knobs. Those knobs oblige you to ride your bike through the mud and splash him all over.

6. #56 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Haha, knobbies are fun tires on slow speeds, say below 100 km/h, though 100 km/h is stretching them heavily and it can happen that knobs begin the tear off. I used knobbies on MZ, but I went to off-road and gravel whenever I could. Knobbies are not bad on tarmac on small bikes and slow speeds. I got them knobbies from Team Örthern, Husaberg Finnish importer – may the gods bless his memory – he had a small hill of used knobbies, of which some were just slightly used. That free knobbies thing contributed quite some to my off-road enthusiasm, I think.

Thank you very much of the Petroshina hint, will have to Google right away can I get them in Finland. If them are good in Soviet Russia, then they will do for sure in Finland too

7. #57 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Petroshina http://eng.petroshina.ru/catalog.php?idd=19 and http://eng.petroshina.ru/catalog.php?idd=15 would had been just fine, just would need some spikes installed on them, but it seems can't get them in Finland.

8. #58 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    This is especially for Zorge since he seem to be the only one who appreciates the Old Gods, that is Jawa and MZ.

"Riding a motorbike is a particular way of travelling. A genuine motorcyclists appreciates the endless ???? feeling of independence, the direct contact with the landscape, the great feeling of drivng down the unknown roads and lanes. Travelling thousands of kilometers with an MZ motorcycle is really a no hazard."

Best stuff in Internetz! Them MZ people knew long before "adventure dual sport fame" what is the deal

9. #59 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    "Old Gods"!?

Not only MZs and Jawas. There is sh...load of defuncted East European motorcycle factories - Pannonia, Sokol, SHL, WSK, Czepel, ČZ, Balkan, Simson, Carpati, Promot, Manet... It would be a shame if they get forgotten.

About "Petroshinas": here you go - now you have one itinerary for the next season. Take 100 euros, sit on a bike, go to St. Petersburg and buy two sets of tires along with inner tubes.

10. #60 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    St. Petersburg is helluva big city, there are almost more people than in the whole Finland, I would for sure get lost there

Two of my friends visit Russia regularly to do shopping. Just checked from Google Maps, it is 327 km from here to St. Petersburg. That is nothing, especially since one my friend lives very close to the border, so I can spend a night there. Will have to apply for the Visa too, go do some shopping in Russia and explore authentic Russian cuisine :D

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast