Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Jawa 350 Style

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
  1. #61 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Shopping is a good thing, to attend to "Zenith's" football match, to visit Hermitagе, Petropavlovskaya fortress, Artillery museum, Kronstadt... - also good, but for Gods sake, do not experiment with local cuisine. This herring with beetroot and mayonnaise, "seledka pod shuboi" as they call this dish, will knock out your gizzard (few years ago, I managed to kick-start my girl friend (in sense - female friend) stomach with greasy cheese burek and yoghurt). Not to mention their soups and porridge... and f.... pickling cucumbers - Russians have some fixation on those.

Stick to the dishes from southern regions - shashlik (skewered meat), shaurma (like giros, minus tzatziki), pirozhki (buns with different fillings), and, of course, Olivier salad.

Kvas is good, tap or bottled - doesn't matter, fine chocolate, chocolate candies too.

Or you can find Italian restaurant...
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #62 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Hmm, Kronstadt and artillery museum sounds very interesting as does Zenith football match. Russia have a place in medieval warfare too, I would be very surprised if there is no museum where mediaval warfare stuff could be observed.

But this North-Western Russian cuisine is a must to experience. We eat porridge in Finland too and pickling cucumbers which are soaked in salt water and maybe garlic, "brewed" naturally, huh, great stuff! We call them in Finland Russian Pickled Cucumbers. They are good snacks if you drink and they are good if you have a hangover, and especially good they are in a rye bread with real butter and some cheese. Yummy!! I am also interested to see how Russians make a fish soup and how it tastes.

3. #63 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Cuisine aside.

I was browsing through "Moto's" web page and I saw this article, or, to be precise, preview from October's issue about "Jawa". Title is "Time machine" and, unfortunately, currently I couldn't find scans of this article. But in a month or two...

Mashina_vremeni.jpg

4. #64 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Very nice! They are probably selling Jawas in Russia.

5. #65 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Wait for a sec!

I found it! They published this article online.

Yo can use online translator - http://moto-magazine.ru/market/profile/mashina-vremeni/

6. #66 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Very nice, thank you! The translation was horrible, but managed to get some information. According to the article Jawa has been most wanted motorcycle in Russia :D Also was interesting they said Type 640 had electric starter. Mine does not have. Maybe they made a mistake?

Jawa has been in Finland most popular motorcycle. Very contradictios motorcycle. Some hate and some love, but usually everyone has an opinion.

I am very happy with mine. It is a motorcycle, not an over engineered UFO. It is meant to be used, in all weather conditions. It is built to last, and simple to repair. And those sounds....no four stroker can beat them :D

7. #67 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    With this picture can be described Jawa's priceless front fork oil change operation

1. Turn the steering bar fully to the side of which front fork oil you want to change.

2. Open that upper bolt on the bottom of the fork.

3. Let the fork oil spill on a reservoir on the ground.

4. Tighten back the bolt you opened on the bottom of the fork.

5. Open the top end of the fork and pour 0.2 liters of new fork oil.

6. Tighten the top end fork bolt.

8. #68 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    According to the article Jawa has been most wanted motorcycle in Russia :D
    In Soviet Union - yes.

Few year ago, some international bunch was gathered here and we talked also about bikes. I mentioned that "Jawa" is practically on life support after dissolution of the USSR, because their bigger export market simply perished. One guy from Russia, who's not familiar with "who is who" in motorcycle world, was surprised - "What you mean by "export market"? "Jawa" is our motorcycle - you can find one in every God-forgotten village!". He was shocked when the rest of the bunch confirmed that "Jawa" is Czech.

Maybe you don't know about this project of "Jawa Moscow Club" - http://moto-magazine.ru/community/tu...a-yava-moskva/ . Some extra pics - http://photo.qip.ru/users/jarlacks/2...=rating&page=1

Here are two potentially useful links for you, if you decide to visit St. Petersburg - http://www.jawanord.ru/index.html and http://meteor.spb.ru/ .

Also was interesting they said Type 640 had electric starter. Mine does not have. Maybe they made a mistake?
    Electric system is not my cup of tea, but I'll try to explain, or to tell you my thoughts about that. There is some system in which generator have one more function - he is also starter, so you don't need to modify crankcase, fit freewheel and additional starter. Maybe that was the case with those "Jawas".

9. #69 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Well, not needing an electric starter, kickstart is good on two strokes, less things to break down. This St. Petersburg trip will become a biggie for me. If a woman refuses to go with me there by Jawa, then I will most probably say so long, fare thee well!

10. #70 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    If a woman refuses to go with me there by Jawa, then I will most probably say so long, fare thee well!
    I hope that your wife is gonna say "no".

It is better this way. Just think about it.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast