Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Jawa 350 Style

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. #71 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Changed gear box oil to Jawa yesterday when it finally hit the first 500 km

20151103_0036.jpg

Also have met in Internet a truly amazing top notch woman. We have talked a lot. She have a boy who is onto motorcycles. A few days back I went fill up fuel to Jawa, and big enduro with very loud sounds came. The driver nodded at me and came to talk. We had a long and good discussion about bikes. When I was driving to home I though, hmm, the young man had changed bikes in the same manner as the woman I met told me her son did, and had an enduro too. I went home and chatted with the woman and asked all things about bikes and looks about his son. Everything matched. I asked her to ask her son if he had met a crazy Jawa man. Her son said why yes So, I have met the son of the amazing woman before the woman herself

Anyway, at one point became the time to "talk seriously", and I said to the woman listen, I will go to St. Petersburg next summer, and if I have a woman she better come with me or else I will say be free to look for a SUV man meanwhile. The woman said she will chose Jawa man

By the way, this is a small village, and the local newspaper made news of my Jawa. I guess they lack news! Will post the scan of the article here (maybe).

2. #72 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    So, did you felt any difference with "Neste" - smoother shifting, quieter cogs, crispier clutch engaging and disengaging? I saw gear stick on the bottle - what you've poured, is this some fancy semi-synth/synth 75W90? Is this factory/expert recommendation? Not some plain SAE 30?

And stop complaining because your wife doesn't share your enthusiasm about trip to "Piter" - two persons on "Jawa" means that you would be dragging 400 kms to there and back and with limited possibilities to carry something with you. Instead, bring her some khokhloma pattern echarpe, some "Babaevskii" chocolate, "Krasnyi Okt'yabr" candy box with fancy picture and cryptic Cyrillic inscription and everything will be great for all.

One more thing. How do you say "cougar hunter" on Finnish?

Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #73 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    The oil is Neste Gear EP 80W-90 https://www.neste.fi/doc/251511_ru.pdf

Simpanen said buy 80W-90, Jawa Operator's Manual recommends Gearoil 80 EP, Castrol ST 90, Shell Spirax EP 90, and GX 80 SAE 80. That Neste oil was the only 80W-90 I could find here. Not sure if there is bad additions on that Neste oil, maybe you can tell that?

Cougar hunter in Finnish would be puumanmetsästäjä. But she is actually younger than me a few years. When you are young, it is better to take a bit older woman. But when you are old, it is better to take a bit younger (or much younger ) woman.

Edit: I haven't noticed much difference on shifting or in performance, the gear box was rather broken in before I changed the oil, very smooth, very nice. When it was new it was clunky like *CLANG* when I changed the gear.

Edit: There were some other Neste 80W-90, which had a hell lot more additions and was about double the price of what I bought. I paid 7 euro of litre.

4. #74 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    You'll figure by yourself is new oil good for your bike. If clutch doesn't slip and gear cogs are not noisy - it is OK.

In the sake of the experiment (you can afford this, because in your bike oil lubes only gears and clutch, but not those heavy loaded parts - crankhaft, conrod, piston-cylinder group, valvetrain), next time you can try some decent UTTO oil. Those oils are intended for tractor's transmission system, wet brakes and hydraulic systems. In short - for heavy loads. As I recall, viscosity is circa SAE 80, and pricing is... reasonable. Maybe this could be a good solution for "Jawa".

One more thong concerning lubricants. Did you prepared so far some sort of "first aid kit" for "Jawa"? I realized that is helpful to shove under the seat few of those 100 ml oil sachets for power-saws.

5. #75 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Haha, tractor's transmission oil sounds epic :D

There is the thing with the transmission oil that they say that the oil should not contain certain additions, so that the clutch won't slip.

Simpanen put a small bottle of two stroke oil under the seat and said put a bit of two stroke oil in the tank when refueling. The oil, he said, will clean the carb. So I have a bit of oil for emergency. Of course my Jawa have basic tools supplied by the factory too.

I think that small bottle of two stroke oil, a spare spark plug, throttle cable, and emergency tire repair spray could carry quite far, in addition to the basic tools.

6. #76 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    My 15 minutes of fame

7. #77 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    You selfish bastard!

You didn't mention us, MCM folks, who have not even call you names when you announced that you decided to buy "Jawa".

What I see, is that you're year or two from buying pocket bikes for your kids. They grow like weeds.

BTW, every new photo confirms my conviction that "Jawa" (and other classic bikes) is incomplete without fork gaiters. Aesthetics aside, gaiters also protect oil seals and fork tube's surface. Did you have some thoughts about that?

Wait!
    One more wisdom from local bikers with "length of service": "MZ - 1 cylinder, 1 issue. Jawa - 2 cylinders, 100 issues.".

8. #78 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    A great idea! I should begin to introduce motorcycling things to the kids. The older one already has catched the phrase "skootteri on lälläripyörä" (a scooter is a chicken bike), of which she made her own version eventually "moottoripyörä on lälläripyörä" (a motorcycle is a chicken bike), from the song below Prätkä, the bike, is the real thing

But that was really bad I did not mention MCM as the ultimate bike forum, I deserve to be shot!

And please no, don't say Jawa have issues, I am still uncertain a bit of Jawa's true nature because I don't have 20 000 km on Jawa Yet I have stated in public that Jawa is a reliable and easy to maintain bike

9. #79 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    Was by the way a bold statement by the reporter to open the article by writing "Jawa was the most popular two stroke bike in the world in 50-60's." What do you think, was it?

10. #80 Re: Jawa 350 Style 
    In fifties and sixties across Europe existed only God knows how many small and big motorcycle brands.

I could comprehend why that in this period "Jawa" could be huge manufacturer, but I don't have proven info about that claim.

About "Jawa" issues (or what you should know, as user): there is rather big, so to speak - "Jawa" fan base in UK, and I think that you can find useful info on their "Jawa" forums, written on language you understand. Yes, you would probably gather more info about "Jawa" on Czech, Polish, Russian or even Hungarian forums, but online translator is not almighty.

I was "devouring" hundreds of pages on forums worldwide dedicated to bikes with "Honda" based horizontal cylinder engine and to tell you the truth - it helps a lot when you gather, leastwise, other's knowledge about particular subject.

Just a thought: you go everyday to local store for bread, milk and stuff. Right? "Jawa Babetta" would be great for job like that.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast