Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    Well, this is not a proper motorcycle - it is... motorcyclette (not in a French way, but... you know... little motorcycle... not more than a 3/4 of a motorcycle), so your conscience can remain calm.

You bought only a self propelled two-wheeler, no motorcycle, so no harm done. You can sleep peacefully through the night.

BTW, you could treat us with detailed walkaround. You are first owner of this "Lifan" here.

Thanks Zorge ! I feel a great weight lifted from my soul.

Yeah, I usually try to take photos as I un-crate/assemble/ride these non-motorcycles. I hope it arrives on a day w/o rain. If I remember, I'll plug in my camera's battery today, so it's ready.

Mike (in Indiana) already mentioned the carb is really small. 16mm ? If the engine is a clone of the Honda XR100 motor, then I've got a spare 24mm waiting. I'll get some photos of it along with the XR100 to compare engine details.

2. #12 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    As I understand, "Pony's" engine is, as I say, "bent horizontal" - modified clone of a "Honda Super Cub" engine.

Combing few forums, looking for useful info about my own horizontal, I found out that, as practice shows, those small diameter carbs (from PZ 16 to PZ 19) do the job from 50 cc up to 110 cc. If you have 72 or 75 main jet and 35 pilot jet, engine will run nice and smooth, no matter is this stock 70, 90, 100 or 110 cc.

Plus, I did little experiment with different diameter intake manifold on my 50 cc horizontal. Stock manifold has 16 mm on carbs side (my carb is "Deni's" PZ 17) and only 12 mm on motor head side. With this configuration, engine runs nicely and pulls smoothly from idle to max revs. Once, I replaced this manifold with all-the-way 22 mm manifold. Result: engine was... "insecure" on low and mid revs, and slightly stronger on high revs (or it was only my subconsciousness). Bottom line: more cons than pros.

Why I wrote all this? If I would be you, I would not be rushing to swap stock carb without thorough test after break-in period.
    Last edited by Zorge; 10-11-2015 at 05:44 PM.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

3. #13 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    Not to worry. I'll run it awhile before any experimenting. If it runs perfectly, I'll leave it alone. LOL Usually they're set-up with very lean small carbs for the US.

4. #14 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    I got 2 emails yesterday. One said my order shipped, and the other included a .pdf bill of lading for shipping from California. I tried the tracking number on the shipping company's website, but it apparently isn't on a truck yet.

There's no mention whether it will be shipped to my house or a freight handling location. I've only had to go to a freight warehouse once. Other bike shipments have come to my house. So I guess we'll see....

5. #15 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello all!

I think this is my first post here but I just wanted you folks to see the noise we were making over this bike on planetminis. I have my own and I'm getting the modification options sorted out.

But if you wanted to know more please come collaborate with us.

http://planetminis.com/forums/z50-ct...ape-clone.html

6. #16 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    We're waiting to finally see Scottro's acquisition, but it looks that his shipping company took wrong turn at Albuquerque.

7. #17 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorge View Post
    We're waiting to finally see Scottro's acquisition, but it looks that his shipping company took wrong turn at Albuquerque.
    I haven't checked this morning, but as of last evening it was somewhere between Ontario CA and Chicago. It's still due on Friday, but motor freight isn't as reliable as FedEx and UPS. Lol

8. #18 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    ...As of this morning... "enroute to Indianapolis." It's getting closer. lol

9. #19 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    C-Moto Regular
    Latest update... Expected delivery changed from Friday the 23rd to Monday the 26th. :(

10. #20 Re: Lifan Pony 100- Chinese Grom-like bike - $999 shipped in the US. Anybody have 
    Bugger!

Let's recapitulate: you are from Pittsburgh, who is in the zone of continental climate, with large seasonal temperature differences. Now is late October, rains often, days are mostly chilly for riding a bike, you can smell that snow is coming... and you are getting your spick-and-span bike...

Oh, man... In order to ride it, you gonna need lots of coins and pedestal to fit him.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast