Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 EF Motors - new player? 
    So...

This "Electro Force Motors" (http://www.electroforcemotors.com/) introduced some, at least on paper, E-motorcycles which can very easily serve as commuter bikes. Range is up to 150 km, max power up to 15 hp (hub motor), torque up to 70 Nm, Li-Ion 5,4 kWh battery, charging time 8 hours (half that time with fast charger), weight is 150 kilos. They came with 2 year warranty and price varies from 25k to 31k RMB.

And... unfortunately, EFM "borrowed" design from quater-of-a-liter CBR.

EFM-Mu.jpg

How much Chinese E-motorcycles we saw so far?

I remember some "Baiduo" or "Beiduo"...
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

2. #2 Re: EF Motors - new player? 
    Dunno but I am observing development of these electric motorcycles. Electricity is good, say, electric guitar and so called electric cigarette. Those who have driven with electric motorcycles has praised them. I am sure I will miss two stroke sounds and quirks, but I can tolerate that if I get a motorcycle which is silent, as it will be like a magificent bicycle then. Also running costs can be rather low with electrical bikes, especially after governments tax a hell on combustion engines.

3. #3 Re: EF Motors - new player? 
    On short distance here in China millions of people use E-power. That seems to work well.
    But just these days I read a travel report of a German guy using a BMW C Evolution E scooter to go around in Spain.
    That brought everything back to reality. He equipped the passenger seat with a 25kg gasoline power generator to avoid the total stop. He spend a lot of time on cafes, gas stations etc to recharge.
    Once he had to stop in the middle of nowhere and use the generator for recharging. It took him 8h to fully load the Accu.

His conclusion:
    After that experience he learns to value each drop of gasoline because of its energy content.

My conclusion: let the lady ride E scooter and myself stay with gas at first
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: EF Motors - new player? 
    C-Moto Noob
    E-Bikes in China should be classed as silent WMD's. I see them everyday blasting around town, ignoring every stop sign and traffic light and riding everywhere that they feel like. I do not know anyone who has had one for more than a month who has not had at least one minor accident and a few that have had serious ones in a few days. No license or training required to ride one, just get off your pushbike and jump onto something that will do 60kph and blast through the dark night dressed all in black with your lights off to save power. i have been hit from behind or sideswiped by e-bikes whilst i was walking on the footpath. They do not use their lights at night because they do not want to waste power and you cannot hear them coming. I was "T" boned by one a few years ago. i was going through a green light and he went through a red one and rode straight into the side of my car. The police man asked me to pay 200rmb compensation for the damage to his e-bike which i refused and after almost two hours arguing the policemen let him go without paying anything to repair my door. I went to the station to make an official complaint about what had happened, and just as i expected would happen to a complaint from a lowai, it disappeared down a black hole never to be seen again. This says more about the local police than it does about e-bikes, but for as long as they are allowed to flout the law they are just plain dangerous. They should be fitted with lights in the factory that cannot be turned off and a system that beeps every few seconds so you can at least hear then coming and have a chance to dive out of the way.
    E-bikes, silent killers and the worst invention ever to give to a Chinese rider who neither understands or cares about the rules of the road. China tried the one child policy to reduce the population but it did not work. not to worry, now they have e-bikes, a much more effective tool for population control.

5. #5 Re: EF Motors - new player? 
    TIC

6. #6 Re: EF Motors - new player? 
    C-Moto Senior englishman in china's Avatar
    Oneway has it spot on. These e-bikes are a silent menace and for some reason their riders think it perfectly acceptable to ride them on the pavements too. Here in Chongqing there are very few (although I have one which was given to me by Yadea to test ride) so I really notice them when I go to Chengdu and other cities where these things swarm. I've got to add, there's nothing wrong with e-bikes and scooters, just the riders.

7. #7 Re: EF Motors - new player? 
    C-Moto Noob
    I also have nothing against the principal of E-bikes and E-scooters, but i do believe that to drive any motor vehicle on the road, whether it be powered by gas, electric or a wind up clockwork engine, you should be required to have training and pass a test. Biggest E-bike i have seen so far looks like a pocket rocket, (sorry no picture, if i see it again i will take a few) is powered by a 7kw motor, accelerates like a superbike and will do just over 100kph. No license required, it's an E-bike.

Englishman in China says "there's nothing wrong with e-bikes and scooters, just the riders. " I agree there is nothing wrong with the e-bikes and scooter but it's not just the crazy riders, its also the lack of regulation, the fact there is no requirement for any training before you ride one on the road and the police who are happy stand and watch while they do these crazy things without taking any action. I am pretty sure a red light is a red light and you are supposed to stop, even if you are on an e-bike.

8. #8 Re: EF Motors - new player? 
    I quite strongly disagree on mandatory formal trainings regarding motorcycles in a way that I believe minimal training should be required, basicly that the individual understands the basics how to control a motorcycle and what to do and what to not do on the road. Motorcycling should be accessible to people, and not buried under a heavy load of bureucrazy.

Motorcycling clubs etc., should promote safe driving habits and arrange annually some motorcycle driving courses and events. This in Europe, I don't say what should be in China.

Just had to mention these because I am fed with the current mentality where (in Finland) people need soon a licence to everything. We here need even a licence to wash dishes in restaurants! It is totally crazy here, everything gets regulated to a minute detail.

9. #9 Re: EF Motors - new player? 
    For all that have concerns about "silent killers" - there is a solution called "Turbospoke".

I started this thread because I saw something that meets 95% of my... um... motorcycle needs, and, at the same time, it is not pricey as much as well known brands. I hope we are witnessing the start of tidal wave of "reasonably priced" e-motorcycles.

And don't worry - legislature in most countries knows how to differentiate e-powered vehicles.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

10. #10 Re: EF Motors - new player? 
    C-Moto Noob
    I do not believe that you should need a license to wash dishes and in a general sense i understand where you are coming from. There is far to much regulation in many areas of our lives now but formal training before you are allowed on the road and the need to pass a test before you could graduate to a larger bike has saved thousands of lives in many countries. Every motorcycle or high power e-bike that is sold to someone with no formal training to drive on today's crazy roads should be given a voucher for a free casket and funeral service. When i first rode motorcycles in the UK there was very little traffic in my area, no compulsory formal training, you could ride a 50cc bike at 16 and a 250cc bike at 17 only with a provisional license that required no formal training for as long as you want without ever taking a test and it was great, right up until the accident. I was lucky because i trained on a track years before i ever got near the road, understood my own limitations and had built a sense of awareness of my surroundings, but i have lost friends to a lack of awareness of their surroundings and a clear understanding of what their bike could and could not do. Formal training may not have saved them but statistics tell me it very well could have. I know there will be various opinions on the subject and everyone has a right to their own but in my opinion letting someone on the road with no training is like handing a 5 year old a loaded gun and telling him to go play.