Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Baotian Evolution 125 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello there people, im Rob and I've come across a problem this evening and was wondering if someone could help me?
    My Baotian 125 Evolution has broken down.
    It starts and ticks over but as soon as i pull the throttle it starts to rev for a second then cuts out completely.

I have noticed recently that it has started to lose a bit of power sometimes when ive been travelling down a road, no incline or decline. Ive just changed the spark plug (on Monday). I do know very little about this kind of stuff despite being a Hydraulic Engineer haha.

Any and all help is appreciated!

2. #2 Re: Baotian Evolution 125 
    Hey and welcome, I am an engineer of technology, and I don't either understand a shit of these bikes – they did not teach these in the school of engineering :D

Anyway, could it be that your air filter is in bad condition? Theory: when you rev a lot, the bike stalls, indicating that there is a possibility that the air filter has gone bad, the engine gets flooded by gasoline as it gets too little air for balanced burning? I would start the troubleshooting by simply cleaning the air filter, and after that check it is not fuel what the engine does not get enough. There should be a fuel filter on your bike which could had become clogged, if it is a TIC fuel filter, you just should replace it anyway before it goes bad.

Edit: Of course you should check the carburator settings too, but if you don't understand a bit of your bike, then I would recommend trying to adjust the carb as the last resolt.

3. #3 Re: Baotian Evolution 125 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Hey and welcome, I am an engineer of technology, and I don't either understand a shit of these bikes – they did not teach these in the school of engineering :D

Anyway, could it be that your air filter is in bad condition? Theory: when you rev a lot, the bike stalls, indicating that there is a possibility that the air filter has gone bad, the engine gets flooded by gasoline as it gets too little air for balanced burning? I would start the troubleshooting by simply cleaning the air filter, and after that check it is not fuel what the engine does not get enough. There should be a fuel filter on your bike which could had become clogged, if it is a TIC fuel filter, you just should replace it anyway before it goes bad.

Edit: Of course you should check the carburator settings too, but if you don't understand a bit of your bike, then I would recommend trying to adjust the carb as the last resolt.
    My friend did ask about the fuel filter. Will check tomorrow at work as ive left it there, Thanks for the quick reply!

Is Baotian not a reliable make?

4. #4 Re: Baotian Evolution 125 
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCurtis92 View Post
    My friend did ask about the fuel filter. Will check tomorrow at work as ive left it there, Thanks for the quick reply!

Is Baotian not a reliable make?
    Every bike will have issues sooner or later. They need maintenance.

5. #5 Re: Baotian Evolution 125 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by moilami View Post
    Every bike will have issues sooner or later. They need maintenance.
    To be fair it is a 14 plate haha, its done 5k kilometers, it had an oil change at 3 aswell as far as im aware and it was well looked after before I had it.
    But i do understand what you're saying

6. #6 Re: Baotian Evolution 125 
    It is good that "Baotian" uses... "common" scooter engine, "Honda" based clones. Your is 152 QMI, so every search on the Web will give you enough info on what to check or how to adjust something.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #7 Re: Baotian Evolution 125 
    C-Moto Noob
    Fixed!

Well I think so, had water in my tank, have drained the tank and cleaned the carb out. Going to rebuild on Tuesday when im back at work!

Thanks for your help people! Very much appreciated