Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 superbyke RST- Help, I drained the oil from the wrong hole...!!! also found a spring 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hi, I just completed an oil filter change plus complete oil change.

I went on biking, got back, drained the oil from the hot engine, (unscrewed top cap, and bottom screw, drained all old oil while rocking the bike left-right, but mainly straight)
    then replaced the oil filter with a new one, before fitting, I'd put the new filter into some new oil, then dripped it, so it won't spill it around,
    installed, placed back o ring, spring, etc.

First thing I realised, that a small spring was dropped out from the bottom hole I drained the oil from- with a metal plug in it.
    I put back the spring, like: plug forward, then the spring. Then placed back the screw with the o ring on top.
    That was sucpicious.

The second thing I realised that I can't pour all 850 ml I measured in it- as then the oil line would pass the higher border. (bike was straight, not leaned- GF holding it.)

So I spared a little.

Oil was... oil like color. Yellowish.

Then I run the engine for like 4-5 minutes, as it was suggested.
    Oil line dropped a tad, but totally normal.

Just.... All the oil in the little window turned pitch black.

The third thing I realised, viewing Haynes manual, that I have a screw IN THE MIDDLE of the engine's bottom, inside a flower like metal plate. ... And THAT is the drain hole. Found it on my bike also- just first i don't seen it, just this other one I used for draining near it.

SO I managed to drain the oil from a different hole with a same O-ringed screw in it, AND that little spring...

We rocked the bike heavily to left-right while we was draining the oil, and that screw isn't much higher than the middle one, but tell me:

WHERE did I drained the oil from ?

Did I put back the spring and bolt right? bolt's tail in the screw, bolt's head goes into the hole, spring follows it on its tail- Is it right? Then the screw to lock it with the O ring.

Did I made something horribly wrong?

And why the fresh oil suddenly became black after engine run, like the one was there before?

(checked old oil, homogen- no bits, or dust or etc. in it.)

Please, can you help me?? Is it OK that it's already black?

did I made something very wrong with my bike, draining the wrong hole???

Are the bolt and spring went back right?

2. #2 Re: superbyke RST- Help, I drained the oil from the wrong hole...!!! also found a sp 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I found a suzuki manual, so I took out the gear detent plug (as it seems to be that) and put it back like on the drawing: tail forward, (narrow point) then put the spring onto it's flat back, push them up the hole, then close the hole with the screw with o -ring. Managed to spill alot of new motoroil on myself XD but the line is still closer to "full" not to "low"...

My question is: is it a good sign (it was in neutral, and engine was run happily for 4-5 minutes with bolt upside down) so is it a good sign that after I put it back like on the drawing, I can change to 1, then back to neutral? I'Ts too late, I can't try it with running engine today.... But digital gear calc shows the change.

So, new oil is dark after first use, (not black, that cleared off a little, as it was sitting for a while) and I'M not sure that I killed my gears or not... Can you help me? Do I need another oil change, or is it bad that it went dark after first minutes? Or i'ts alright?

Giving that It was left in neutral while running the engine, and after put back like on the drawing, and Im able to shift to 1 and back to neutral, did I do something wrong, or I fixed it?

Thank you

3. #3 Re: superbyke RST- Help, I drained the oil from the wrong hole...!!! also found a sp 
    This Suzuki (GS/GN...) family
    Normal oil change 850 ml
    w/ filter change 950 ml
    overhaul (ie. bone dry) 1 300 ml
    ----
    http://startright.co.uk/manuals/sinnis/apacheengine.pdf Fig 12
    No worries if it can find Neutral w/o difficulty.
    Someone did the SAME thing https://translate.google.com/transla...2Ft_614672.htm Reverse what is done if "stopper" installed WRONG

---
    Oil turns DARK is normal ...
    Last edited by humanbeing; 11-17-2015 at 07:48 AM.

4. #4 Re: superbyke RST- Help, I drained the oil from the wrong hole...!!! also found a sp 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Ah, thanks :D well i check today that i can change gear with running engine.

I bought 1 liter of oil, measured out around 125ml and took that out to store it in anither glass. Then poured the rest in. While the bike was straight, oil level passed so high that it passed the window totally.. Had to drain out around another 125 ml out to get the level visible, and near full line. Afyer running engine, it settled around top of full line. So theres maximum 750 ml went in, instead of 850 written on the side of my engine.

When we drained the oil, we rocked hard from left to right in straight position until dripping finished totally so i dont understand why it wont fit all in. Should i pour in the remaining clean 125ml regardless that the oil line will rise above the full, and the WHOLE window?

5. #5 Re: superbyke RST- Help, I drained the oil from the wrong hole...!!! also found a sp 
    I would go by the oil window not by the spec sheet. Make sure your checking the window while its standing up not on the kick stand.
    “I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
    Triumph Speedmaster, Di ping xian da pao che 5000W, KTM Duke 390, Dayang DY150, Jencheng 150 Razkull Clone