Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    C-Moto Regular cryptographicide's Avatar
    As winter encroaches, I have begun plotting my next adventure through China. And I want all the input I can get. I asked before my last trip and received a small amount of help. I blame the lack of assistance upon the choice of route. Nobody lives inland. This time, I am escaping the cold a little and heading down south for the winter.

The general plan:
    Jan 15th ish to Feb 15 ish, the dates are as flexible as the traffic laws.

The bike is being shipped to Hangzhou, we are taking the grand canal boat from Suzhou to Hangzhou and following the coast south...kinda. We won't be going into Yunnan. That gem is being saved for the last segment of the trilogy. We want to head north to Chongqing. Where ever we are, come time to go home, we go home. The bike gets shipped back to yantai and we head home on the train. Good riddance.

Now, almost everyone but us few Shandongers live in the area I am planning on going to. I am asking you as fellow bikers to show me your hometowns, as insane or mild as that my be. Are there secrets? Can you give me a tip. I also enjoy beer and baijiu.

I am not asking for a couch and a shower, but I will not decline one. My wife however requires certain luxuries from time to time and these may not be withheld!

So, help me plan a trip. Join me on my trip. Tell me not to go on my trip (everyone else does). Tell me how awesome it will be to describe these exotic and exquisite miseries to you when I get back.

Please do not, remind me that I haven't finished my last ride report. I have enough laobans asking me to satisfy their hysterical whims at no cost to them. Also, please do not remain silent.
    Last edited by cryptographicide; 11-25-2015 at 01:00 AM.
    1995 Suzuki Intruder (2005-Present){Canada}
    2003 Daelim Daystar (2011-2012){S. Korea}
    2014 Jialing 200 GY5A (2015-Present) {China}

2. #2 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    Well, if one can go do a motorcycle trip, then one should go and do it.

3. #3 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    That's gunna be quite chilly at first.

4. #4 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    C-Moto Regular cryptographicide's Avatar
    Yeah. I have been asking around and it seems like the average temperature is about 10"C during the mid morning and afternoon on most days. This is not too cold for us. I went out last night and was able to handle an hour on the bike in 0"C. I didn't have my thermals on and wasn't wearing a good neck wrap. Those were the places that got cold. If it gets to 0'C, I know I'll be able to get at least a few hours of riding in.

I grew up in Northern Canada. Spending a day on the snowmobiles in -25'C is a fantastic activity and not one I associate with being cold. I know how to dress.
    1995 Suzuki Intruder (2005-Present){Canada}
    2003 Daelim Daystar (2011-2012){S. Korea}
    2014 Jialing 200 GY5A (2015-Present) {China}

5. #5 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I live a days ride south from Hangzhou. You welcome to come visit, I can show you an amazing road HZ to mine that will blow your mind

6. #6 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob

7. #7 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    I live a days ride south from Hangzhou. You welcome to come visit, I can show you an amazing road HZ to mine that will blow your mind
    im in ningbo, i rode from Taizhou to ningbo , but eventually jumped on the expressway to beat it back home! what is your recommended route??
    thanks

8. #8 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    help me plan a trip. Join me on my trip. Tell me not to go on my trip (everyone else does). Tell me how awesome it will be to describe these exotic and exquisite miseries to you when I get back.

Please do not, remind me that I haven't finished my last ride report. I have enough laobans asking me to satisfy their hysterical whims at no cost to them. Also, please do not remain silent.[/QUOTE]

i dont mind the cold, but the wet!!!! adds to the danger etc.. i may drive from Ningbo to guilin at the end of the third week of jan... but i will look at the forcast etc.... but likely anything north of Guangdong except for Yunnan will be cold..... last Christmas I rode about 600 kilometers pretty much non stop all in the dark and 75 percent wet to get close to the Vietnam border from Guiiln with the assistance of the AutoBahn he he soo the roads were only occupied by large trucks and most going faster than I. cant do too many nights like that!

9. #9 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kikikillercat View Post
    im in ningbo, i rode from Taizhou to ningbo , but eventually jumped on the expressway to beat it back home! what is your recommended route??
    thanks
    Here is the route
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.1...86!2m1!1b1!3e0

Its google so you need VPN.
    The first part from HengDianZhen to XianJu was under construction when I was on it, about 8-10months ago so I recon its done now. The one from XianJu to Taizhou I ride regularly and its awesome, combination of good tarmac and some good concrete roads.

10. #10 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    C-Moto Regular
    It's a shame you're starting early, I'm leaving Shanghai on my bike on sunday the 7th of Feb and heading south towards guangdong.

If you was leaving or around hangzhou at the same time we could have hit up.

Have a safe trip!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast