Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Here is the route
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.1...86!2m1!1b1!3e0

Its google so you need VPN.
    The first part from HengDianZhen to XianJu was under construction when I was on it, about 8-10months ago so I recon its done now. The one from XianJu to Taizhou I ride regularly and its awesome, combination of good tarmac and some good concrete roads.
    thanks for posting the route.....

2. #12 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    C-Moto Regular cryptographicide's Avatar
    @kikikillercat We will definitely be going through ningbo. How is Putou Island? Is difficult to get to? How are the ferries? Actually, we will probably be getting to Ningbo about the time you are leaving and we'll be heading in that direction. Any interest in joining up?
    1995 Suzuki Intruder (2005-Present){Canada}
    2003 Daelim Daystar (2011-2012){S. Korea}
    2014 Jialing 200 GY5A (2015-Present) {China}

3. #13 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptographicide View Post
    As winter encroaches, I have begun plotting my next adventure through China. And I want all the input I can get. I asked before my last trip and received a small amount of help. I blame the lack of assistance upon the choice of route. Nobody lives inland. This time, I am escaping the cold a little and heading down south for the winter.

The general plan:
    Jan 15th ish to Feb 15 ish, the dates are as flexible as the traffic laws.

The bike is being shipped to Hangzhou, we are taking the grand canal boat from Suzhou to Hangzhou and following the coast south...kinda. We won't be going into Yunnan. That gem is being saved for the last segment of the trilogy. We want to head north to Chongqing. Where ever we are, come time to go home, we go home. The bike gets shipped back to yantai and we head home on the train. Good riddance.

Now, almost everyone but us few Shandongers live in the area I am planning on going to. I am asking you as fellow bikers to show me your hometowns, as insane or mild as that my be. Are there secrets? Can you give me a tip. I also enjoy beer and baijiu.

I am not asking for a couch and a shower, but I will not decline one. My wife however requires certain luxuries from time to time and these may not be withheld!

So, help me plan a trip. Join me on my trip. Tell me not to go on my trip (everyone else does). Tell me how awesome it will be to describe these exotic and exquisite miseries to you when I get back.

Please do not, remind me that I haven't finished my last ride report. I have enough laobans asking me to satisfy their hysterical whims at no cost to them. Also, please do not remain silent.
    I'm planning to ride South from Ningbo headed for Northern Thailand again. This will be my third trip, having been to Northern Thailand Jan-March 2015 and Jan-Feb 2014.

How set in 'stone' are any of you guys on travel dates. Also how about route/destination?

I'm planning to ride (again) from Ningbo-ish (from 30km outside Ningbo).

Previously I departed January 2015 on my GS headed for Thailand and made it to Chiang Rai in 3 days. I rode the Expressways mainly aside from the first 5-6 hours when I departed Ningbo (I rode through Shengzhou to Yiwu, across the ranges West of Yiwu to Tonglu and then South towards Jainde. Nearing Jiande I rode onto the Expressway and remained on it for the next 42 hours or thereabouts. I missed the Expressway/highway from Xishanuagbanna, so also rode the majority of the old old mountain road from Xishuangbanna to Boten Border Crossing (Mengla). The first 48 hours on the Expressway, I only stopped for petrol and twice I attempted to get some short 30-45 minute power naps - which was not easy as I had a serious case of monkey butt. Those first 48 hours I rode almost without sleep to get to Xishuangbanna, as I didn't want to get off the Expressway unless I had to. I have also ridden a lot of the nearby provinces previously and while there are some very interesting places to see and ride, doing so alone meant this was not a priority. This might potentially different with a group especially for those that have never ridden those locations etc.

I admittedly got lost in Kunming as both my GPS's lost satellites (I assume there are some sensitive installations located there) and ended up wasting 4 hours trying to find my way to the road/highway from Kunming to Xishuangbanna.

I rode alone the last trip and would prefer company this time round. My travel plans are not set in stone, so I'm open to allowing for a more leisurely ride - but honestly northern Thailand is a riders Mecca so my aim would be to sacrifice time spent inside the mainland in preference for more time/days inside the 'land of smiles'.

Not sure if anyone might be interested in riding together for all or part of the trip?

I am open to ideas etc.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #14 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    It's likely to be chilly/cold as other riders have mentioned. However I didn't find it overly so when I departed on my last trip (Ningbo-Thailand). I was however wearing full kit (good quality riding jacket, pants, off-road boots, Shark helmet, very good gloves and GS has heated grips. But I recall last Winter as being somewhat mild. This Winter it has already rained a great deal, and it has gotten colder rather quickly.
    My ride down to Thailand was dry all the way down. The ride back (Thailand-Ningbo, I encountered rain for ~2/3 the trip (also completed in 3 days).

I'm even more prepared for this next trip.

BTW OP, what method/who you plan on using to ship/transport your bike(s) to Hangzhou? Worth keeping in mind that Hangzhou bans motorcycles as does Ningbo.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 11-30-2015 at 07:20 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

5. #15 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    @kikikillercat We will definitely be going through ningbo. How is Putou Island? Is difficult to get to? How are the ferries? Actually, we will probably be getting to Ningbo about the time you are leaving and we'll be heading in that direction. Any interest in joining up?
    Putou Shan is okay, very touristy
    IMO there are better islands to visit. TaoHua Dao is one of them. Ferry is 元50 motorcycle/rider (one way) excluding pillion. Ferry departs from Binhai/Chunxiao peninsular ferry terminal. Takes 90 minutes one way.
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #16 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    @biker Doc. I was going to ship the bike by train. I've done it before without problems. Great help with the no motorcycle law for Hangzhou. If thats the case I'll find a solution where I ship it to a station outside of the city and pick it up there. That should solve that.

Our times are no set in stone. They are somewhat flexible. Our route is still in the early stages of finding its form. We would appreciate any cool roads in the ningbo area and any roads along the coast that should be taken, even if it means going out of the way for. Also, any cool villages or places that have some extra cultural value to them. Andrea and I don't like touristy places and have a hard time parting with 120 yuan to take pictures of a tourist trap.

I would love to travel together for as long as you want. We will be dilly dallying however and I assume at some point you're going to want to leave us.

What day were you planning on leaving, Biker doc?

That being said, She is kinda excited about the huge statue of guanyin on putoushan.

7. #17 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    ^ I'm likely looking at departing ~26th December.

I too refrain from the "tourist" sites deemed so by the local populace. Putoushan is one such place. Zhoushan is also an island highly regarded by the locals too, most notably for the 'seafood'. And for farks sake don't eat any 'blood clams' which is a local delicacy served and eaten raw. These harbour a nasty parasite (which is why these were banned in places like SH), not to mention Hepatitis A - but the locals as educated as they are, will poo-hoo any such notion.

Ningbo: It'd be worth spending several days here prior as there is some great riding to be had. Siming Shan and the ranges, Dongqian Hu and the surroundings, Hengxi mountain range, Fenghua hot springs and the mountain ranges, Taohua Dao (peach blossom island) is an easy 90min. ferry ride and worth an overnighter, or at least a day trip (ferry 8 A.M. returning 4 P.M.). Many mountains nearby to ride which would require a 2 day taster to be fair. Actually 3 days would not be enough to get these completed.

The trip: I'd suggest initially riding from Ningbo out thru Shengzhou then South heading towards - outskirts Yiwu via numerous mountain routes (several to choose from), or from Shengzhou head through the mountain ranges to Zhuji. Either route (Yiwu or Zhuji) then ride West through the mountain ranges towards Sanlu then to Jiande. Stay overnight Jiande (this is the cleanest town in Zhejiang (Jainde has received this award from the Zhejiang provincial government numerous times). Jiande is also the town where Nongfu 'Spring' water is bottled (though in reality it's not a spring source). Following day I can lead ride to Daci Yan Si (fantastic hanging temple in mountains) well worth exploring (at the top there is also a lake/dam which one would never know. It's a designated tourist attraction but not a major one. Far less crowds compared to other major attractions - for sure. Nearby is a 1000 year old working village which is still inhabited (hence the term 'working'). Jiande also is next to Qian Dao Hu (1000 island lake) which also provides another option to ride out of Zhejiang from the west side of the lake. A few options at this point.

If riding out West from 1000 island lake is not to ones liking then it's possible to instead include a ride to Lishui &/or Wuyi Shan.

In Fujian province it's worth heading to a little known island, Dongshan Dao, which is attached to the mainland by a causeway. The island has experienced significant development, however it's still quiet, and there are a few white sandy beaches.

I'll post a few photos of these locations (will have to find them).

As for thinking that there's a nice coastal route (like Australia's Ocean Road) following down the edge of Zhejiang into Fujian - unfortunately that's not the reality.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-05-2015 at 06:26 AM.
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #18 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    Amazing. I'm totally planning on seeing the hanging temple. and the tip about taohuashan and jiande, the clean city, are really appreciated. We may ride quickly through zhejiang to get to guizhou and guangxi faster. They look amazing and I am really excited about riding around over there. Am I going to be dissapointed?

9. #19 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    Amazing. I'm totally planning on seeing the hanging temple. and the tip about taohuashan and jiande, the clean city, are really appreciated. We may ride quickly through zhejiang to get to guizhou and guangxi faster. They look amazing and I am really excited about riding around over there. Am I going to be dissapointed?
    just keep in mind in Guangxi the old roads are messed up in many locations, thats why some people hop onto the expressway. old roads are more interesting but getting stuck behind the 100th truck throwing dust and mud,,,,its gets on your nerves! even the expressway from Guilin to Nanning has a nasty 35 k section of broken concrete.

yeah, as Bikedoc said, once on an expressway you dont want to get off and deal with the hasseling possibility at the gate, easier to stay on, but then you feel you have to rush and go fast to keep safe distance from the HUGE trucks.

10. #20 Re: Were going to ride the rice bowl 
    @biker Doc. I was going to ship the bike by train. I've done it before without problems. Great help with the no motorcycle law for Hangzhou. If thats the case I'll find a solution where I ship it to a station outside of the city and pick it up there. That should solve that.

Our times are no set in stone. They are somewhat flexible. Our route is still in the early stages of finding its form. We would appreciate any cool roads in the ningbo area and any roads along the coast that should be taken, even if it means going out of the way for. Also, any cool villages or places that have some extra cultural value to them. Andrea and I don't like touristy places and have a hard time parting with 120 yuan to take pictures of a tourist trap.

I would love to travel together for as long as you want. We will be dilly dallying however and I assume at some point you're going to want to leave us.

What day were you planning on leaving, Biker doc?

That being said, She is kinda excited about the huge statue of guanyin on putoushan.

Shipping by train??? the same one you ride on?? also do they box it or just roll it onto the train naked?? i shipped my ebike without boxing and the centerstand broke, so you know they piled a bunch of shit atop of it!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast