Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    So my bike turned 1000 miles this weekend and I wanted to recap my experience. This has been a fantastic bike thus far and would highly recommend it for anyone, new or experienced. I've had it for about 2 months and have had absolutely ZERO issues with it. I was a little apprehensive about buying the bike at first since it was Chinese made and I have the only dealer here in 150 miles. I had the first service done at about 500 miles as per my dealer recommendation. Actually, I think they said 600, but I was too excited, so I got it done! They went ahead and changed the oil and filter, checked all fluids, aired up tires, checked chain tension, cleaned and lubed chain, tightened all fasteners, as well as wash it. The mechanic did tell me that the oil was a little low when drained, so this may have been a miss from the factory. Other than this, everything else checked out 100%. Used OEM CF Moto oil filter and Bike Master conventional 10w-40 when refilled. No issues at all.

At around 800 miles, I went ahead and decided I was going to get a pipe for it. The stock exhaust did louden up a bit as it broke in, but I wanted a little more growl. After much debate, I pulled the trigger on a Competition Werks slipon for a ER6n. It fit perfectly with no modification needed. I then dynoed the bike to make sure that a slip on did not lean it out too much. The afr's are a little lean, but absolutely nothing to lose sleep over. Over the last 200 miles, the bike has started to sound a little different. I attribute this to the new pipe breaking in and possibly the computer learning the new flow of the bike. It sounds a little deeper and pops a little less.

I ordered a powercommander (12-008) to tune it next week. Went with this model as per DynoJet's recommendation. I can't wait until I have an optimal tune!

So to summarize...
    The Good-
    Great price
    looks
    power (US model)
    2 year warranty
    value
    fuel economy
    tires are nice and grippy
    the girlfriend and I ride 2 up and she has enough room
    comfortable for longer rides
    seat height for me is perfect (I'm 5'7")
    I've gotten a top speed of 139 mph with no tune and slipon
    in my town the dealer is fantastic!

The Bad-
    Suspension is a little bouncy, but has started to break in and stabilize/smooth out
    oil was a little low from the factory
    parts availability right now in the US
    it's Chinese...I don't care, but some do

that's it...it has been a fantastic 1000 miles!!! I LOVE my bike and would recommend it to anyone! Great job CF MOTO, you nailed mine!!
    12308227_10156306642740436_7292179489613847712_n.jpg
    Last edited by 650NutKase; 12-07-2015 at 06:12 PM.
    2014 CF Moto 650nk

2. #2 Re: 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Nice report and thanks .
    Mine has done over 14000km and not missed a beat , all services done and nothing amiss .

On that I went for a FAST !!! 450km ride on sunday 29th November with 15 other bikes in the hills around my home town and gave my NK650 a thorough thrashing , easily keeping up with bigger and much more powerful bikes , we regularly hit 180kph and the bike loved it , just kept asking for more it was only the wind that got a bit much , it was thru the corners and out the other side my bike shone .
    Here is a photo of yesterdays 6 hour blast ., that's my blue 650nk on the left in the second photo and in the fore ground in the first before I moved it from under a tree that was full of birds .

Hope you get to go out like this on yours , they are a blast .

Brian.
    Attached Images

3. #3 Re: 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    Is yours the "nks"? We never got a blue option in the states :/ loving the color
    2014 CF Moto 650nk

4. #4 Re: 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Yes it is , and yes blue is a very nice colour and we get the matt black and orange and black here in Australia/NZ , even better in the flesh , mine is the full power one with 72bhp and 67nm , ii have also shaved 10kg off it by changing the exhaust , tail and a few other things , 180 Bridgestone Battax rear tyre , better brake pads , etc , it really flies for the $5999aud I payed for it .

These are a good bike here and there are getting to be more and more on the road and here is mine parked beside an orange one at the toy run a couple of weeks ago note Snoopy on the back of mine , great stuff .I have posted a few mods I have done here , do a search .

Brian.
    Attached Images

5. #5 Re: 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanerds View Post
    Yes it is , and yes blue is a very nice colour and we get the matt black and orange and black here in Australia/NZ , even better in the flesh , mine is the full power one with 72bhp and 67nm , ii have also shaved 10kg off it by changing the exhaust , tail and a few other things , 180 Bridgestone Battax rear tyre , better brake pads , etc , it really flies for the $5999aud I payed for it .

These are a good bike here and there are getting to be more and more on the road and here is mine parked beside an orange one at the toy run a couple of weeks ago note Snoopy on the back of mine , great stuff .I have posted a few mods I have done here , do a search .

Brian.
    How in the world did you fit a 180?? lol did you have to modify the swingarm or run a bigger rim?? nice mods btw!
    2014 CF Moto 650nk

6. #6 Re: 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    C-Moto Regular
    The 180 fits perfectly , no rim or clashing issues and looks better .
    I am interested in the power commander you are getting , price ? manufacturer ? ease of fitting ? etc .
    Here is the 180 the day it was fitted .
    Brian.
    Attached Images

7. #7 Re: 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanerds View Post
    The 180 fits perfectly , no rim or clashing issues and looks better .
    I am interested in the power commander you are getting , price ? manufacturer ? ease of fitting ? etc .
    Here is the 180 the day it was fitted .
    Brian.
    Did the handling/cornering suffer? You used a 180/60/17 or 180/55/17?

I bought the powercommander V for the BMW f800gs. Model number 12-008. According to DynoJet, it will hook right up with no wiring modifications. Im installing it this weekend and having it custom tuned. They told me that the maps that were pre loaded for the BMW would not work with my bike, however, a member on here said he loaded the BMW map on his PowerCommander FC and it ran great. So....idk lol
    2014 CF Moto 650nk

8. #8 Re: 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    C-Moto Regular
    That certainly is food for thought ? , looking forward to hearing how it goes .

On the tyre its a 180/55 /17 it feels a little firmer , better planted on the corners and it has not locked up the back wheel on hard downshifts eg. 3rd - 2nd like the standard tyre used to , I also put a 120/60/17 bridgestone battax BT023 on the front .to match the new rear.
    This has not changed the speedo in any way that I can see , still 4200rpm at 100kph in 6th .

Brian.

9. #9 Re: 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Sounds like you are enjoying your NK. I've had mine for about 18months from new, upto 57,000 km already (daily commute of 150km!). I've only had a couple of minor issues, all since 50,000km; water pump seal, cush drive rubbers and worn clutch lever pivot. Considering the kms and the price I have no issue with these minor wear and tear problems. Mine's an orange one with IXIL pipe, Eagle low screen, tail tidy, bars changed to Renthal as not happy with the standard ones and Oxford heated grips for winter commuting. Currently have Michelin Road Pilot tyres which seem pretty good bar the front being a little noisy due to all the cross siping however small price to pay for good wet weather performance. I've found the speedo to be a bit inaccurate with GPS at 100km/h speedo shows 110-111 km/h.

10. #10 Re: 650nutkase's CF Moto 650nk 1000 mile review! 
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskar98 View Post
    Sounds like you are enjoying your NK. I've had mine for about 18months from new, upto 57,000 km already (daily commute of 150km!). I've only had a couple of minor issues, all since 50,000km; water pump seal, cush drive rubbers and worn clutch lever pivot. Considering the kms and the price I have no issue with these minor wear and tear problems. Mine's an orange one with IXIL pipe, Eagle low screen, tail tidy, bars changed to Renthal as not happy with the standard ones and Oxford heated grips for winter commuting. Currently have Michelin Road Pilot tyres which seem pretty good bar the front being a little noisy due to all the cross siping however small price to pay for good wet weather performance. I've found the speedo to be a bit inaccurate with GPS at 100km/h speedo shows 110-111 km/h.
    Yeah, that's not bad at all considering the KM's!! I hope mine goes that long with no issues!

Funny thing about the speedometer...I thought mine was inaccurate too, but the other day my gf followed me home and she was able to confirm the bike speed with her car speed. So hopefully, mine is close enough lol
    2014 CF Moto 650nk