Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    C-Moto Regular
    Jackson Hole by GuYaJu, Yanqing county, Beijing. And sometimes west coast of Canada.
    Now that I (almost) have my license just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. It's time to start thinking about buying a bike. From what I, very seen of prices, I've pretty much decided I want to buy a used 250cc Japanese bike. So now the question is if it's better or simpler to buy and register it in Hebei province or Beijing. Any insights anyone may have are certainly welcome. Particularly about Hebei registration as I have not much info here. Lots of info on Beijing, thanks especially to LJH for what you have posted.

My situation is unique. I live in a gated community that has the front gate in Beijing (Yanqing county) and the back gate in Hebei province (Huailai County, Zhangniakou city) so I could probably register in either jurisdiction. I am currently registeredat the pice station in Huailai so iI could easily get a >6 month residence permit from Hebei. To get one for Beijing (Yanqing county) would likely involve renting something which is a cost I would rather not incur.

So administratively it may be more straightforward to buy a bike and register it in Hebei province. Can anyone tell me of any peculiarities or pitfalls in Hebei? But there are not a lot if used bikes for sale Huailai County and Zhangniakou city is just plain too far to go.

There are quite a few used bikes to choose from in Yanqing County and of course even more in Beijing center. Everyone I know here thinks of Yanqing town as their go to town for everything so no one knows much about Hebei province and Sacheng town. So, there being more too choose from in Beijing and the fact that I have more support from Beijing side, I am inclined to buy a bike from Beijing rather than from Hebei.

I have a couple of specific questions around Beijing.

-1) first, checking what I understand from LJH posts: if I buy a used bike with "public" b plates, I don't need a >6 month temp residence paper. I just need a bill of sale and transfer of responsibility document. Is this correct?

-2) Since I live closest to Yanqing County, most used bikes here are "private" B plates. So, without a >6 month Yanqing residence paper I can't transfer ownership, right? But could I get a local trusted Chinese resident to "buy" a bike (with my money) and have him register the private plates? And then could we draw up a bill of sale and a transfer of responsibility document to legally pass it over to me? Perhaps with the help of an agent?

2. #2 Re: Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    I'm not sure exactly how things work, Hebei, but I imagine they are pretty similar to where I am. Beijing though, I don't know the ins and outs.

Hebei plates will be cheap to insure and cheap to buy on a 2nd hand bike. You could almost leave the plates from the previous owner on there and pop down to insure the bike each year without changing the name over, saving a bunch of hassles. I recently bought insurance on my bike, even though it is registered in my wife's name they didn't ask to see her ID card. On the downside you'll have far less choice and the probability that the cops in Beijing will hate to see your out of town plates if you try to ride into town.

Beijing I think will be more expensive and more hassle, as you'll probably be forced to change the documents.

Hope someone chimes in with more knowledge. Best of luck.

Jackson Hole? Are you a skier or snowboarder?

3. #3 Re: Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    C-Moto Regular
    Jackson Hole by GuYaJu, Yanqing county, Beijing. And sometimes west coast of Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post

Jackson Hole? Are you a skier or snowboarder?
    Well I am a Skier but, Hah, no, this is Jackson Hole China. It is a realestate development with a "wild west" theme inspired by Jackson Hole Wyoming, USA. In English the development is named "Jackson hole" and the Logo that is every where here including all the manhole covers and street signs says "Jackson Hole" on them in English. But The name of teh development in Chinese works out to Hometown America (原乡美利坚 ) Of course it sounds like a joke and no one has ever heard of it so the name usually includes "Next to Guyaju" (古崖居旁原乡美利坚) because that is at least a site that is on the map. The full location is typically listed as 北京延庆县张山营镇古崖居旁原乡美利坚 (Beijing City, Yanqing county ZhangShanying village, Hometown america by Guyaju). Here you can see the Beijing/Hebei boundary going right through the middle http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/40.4570/115.7621

4. #4 Re: Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    Quote Originally Posted by billeuze View Post
    Well I am a Skier but, Hah, no, this is Jackson Hole China. It is a realestate development with a "wild west" theme inspired by Jackson Hole Wyoming, USA. In English the development is named "Jackson hole" and the Logo that is every where here including all the manhole covers and street signs says "Jackson Hole" on them in English. But The name of teh development in Chinese works out to Hometown America (原乡美利坚 ) Of course it sounds like a joke and no one has ever heard of it so the name usually includes "Next to Guyaju" (古崖居旁原乡美利坚) because that is at least a site that is on the map. The full location is typically listed as 北京延庆县张山营镇古崖居旁原乡美利坚 (Beijing City, Yanqing county ZhangShanying village, Hometown america by Guyaju). Here you can see the Beijing/Hebei boundary going right through the middle http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/40.4570/115.7621
    Lol, many of us put our home locations and our China locations in the Location tab, so I thought that was your home location, as not to be confused with a local rider. Yeah, the Chinese certainly love their western themed disneyland nonsense. Usually the plum for the poshest association, so a wild west theme certainly is a new one. I'm sure they already have Chinese Versailles, Piccadilly, ten Eiffel Towers and Big Ben clones (education system drives out genuine creativity). Chongli ski village is aiming for 'Davos' of China.

Any plans to ski around Chongli this winter? I'm up there late next month.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

5. #5 Re: Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    C-Moto Regular
    No I won't be skiing here this winter. Heading back to Canada in 10 days and not returning till March. Everything shuts down around here for 2 months around spring festival. It'll sure be nice to be away from the polution (and the cold)

6. #6 Re: Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    C-Moto Regular
    And the developer who built Jackson Hole is getting ready to build a ski resort town modelled after a swiss or austrian ski resort it looks like. This will be close to the 2022 olympic village which is only about a 2 hour pedal-bicycle ride from here.

7. #7 Re: Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    And the developer who built Jackson Hole is getting ready to build a ski resort town modelled after a swiss or austrian ski resort it looks like. This will be close to the 2022 olympic village which is only about a 2 hour pedal-bicycle ride from here.
    Almost everything here in PRC is just for looking, for nothing is as it seems - beAware the smoke and mirrors...
    Point being while 'they' may make something to look the same - the devil is in the detail - which often falls way short of the mark IMO.
    YMMV
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    I have a couple of specific questions around Beijing.

-1) first, checking what I understand from LJH posts: if I buy a used bike with "public" b plates, I don't need a >6 month temp residence paper. I just need a bill of sale and transfer of responsibility document. Is this correct?

-2) Since I live closest to Yanqing County, most used bikes here are "private" B plates. So, without a >6 month Yanqing residence paper I can't transfer ownership, right? But could I get a local trusted Chinese resident to "buy" a bike (with my money) and have him register the private plates? And then could we draw up a bill of sale and a transfer of responsibility document to legally pass it over to me? Perhaps with the help of an agent?
    1) Yes, that is correct.
    2) Right, you cannot transfer ownership into your name w/o the >6 month residency. Yes, you could have a trusted Chinese person buy & register the bike for you. Finally, you could have a Bill of Sale (which you should) but the bike will legally remain in his/her name.

If you had a falling out with the "trusted" Chinese owner, that person could sell the bike and keep the funds. You could try and take the crook to court, based on supplementary documentation (e.g., a Bill of Sale between you two), but I doubt you'd be very successful.

In my experience, using a trusted agent in Beijing will always help smooth the process. Do NOT take Joe Blow's recommendation about an agent ... ask some of the larger shops which agent they use.

Good luck, and congrats on your DL!

PS: Posted from the Wet Coast (aka Vancouver) ... rain in town, snow on the mountains.

9. #9 Re: Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    And the SE group who have many major ski resorts in North America were/are going to build this http://www.pingtianresorts.com/ in Xi injiang I think they announced there grand schemes in 2005 or earlier. Still waiting. China smoke and mirrors.
    Last edited by bigdamo; 12-31-2015 at 08:23 AM.

10. #10 Re: Beijing or Hebei? Buying used. 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Jia Hou View Post
    1) Yes, that is correct.
    2) Right, you cannot transfer ownership into your name w/o the >6 month residency. Yes, you could have a trusted Chinese person buy & register the bike for you. Finally, you could have a Bill of Sale (which you should) but the bike will legally remain in his/her name.

If you had a falling out with the "trusted" Chinese owner, that person could sell the bike and keep the funds. You could try and take the crook to court, based on supplementary documentation (e.g., a Bill of Sale between you two), but I doubt you'd be very successful.

In my experience, using a trusted agent in Beijing will always help smooth the process. Do NOT take Joe Blow's recommendation about an agent ... ask some of the larger shops which agent they use.

Good luck, and congrats on your DL!

PS: Posted from the Wet Coast (aka Vancouver) ... rain in town, snow on the mountains.
    Thanks LJH for the reply about Beijing registration.

Its looking now more like I will have to register a change of residence and get a Hebei province drivers licence. This is because my Beijing license says my residence is the hotel I used to get a temporary residence permit. I'm leaving China in 3 days now but when I get back after Spring Festival and re-register with the local village police in Hebei province I'll probably look for the Hebei Motor vehicle office and update my driving license (in the spirit of trying to stay legal).

So, anyone with information on what's involved in legaly buying and registering a used motorcycle in Hebei province would be more than welcome - What kinds of documentation do I need to ensure the seller has included with the bike, etc. Also if its possible (for a Hebei resident foriegner) to buy a bike in Beijing and register it in Hebei.