Now that I (almost) have my license just waiting for it to arrive in the mail. It's time to start thinking about buying a bike. From what I, very seen of prices, I've pretty much decided I want to buy a used 250cc Japanese bike. So now the question is if it's better or simpler to buy and register it in Hebei province or Beijing. Any insights anyone may have are certainly welcome. Particularly about Hebei registration as I have not much info here. Lots of info on Beijing, thanks especially to LJH for what you have posted.

My situation is unique. I live in a gated community that has the front gate in Beijing (Yanqing county) and the back gate in Hebei province (Huailai County, Zhangniakou city) so I could probably register in either jurisdiction. I am currently registeredat the pice station in Huailai so iI could easily get a >6 month residence permit from Hebei. To get one for Beijing (Yanqing county) would likely involve renting something which is a cost I would rather not incur.

So administratively it may be more straightforward to buy a bike and register it in Hebei province. Can anyone tell me of any peculiarities or pitfalls in Hebei? But there are not a lot if used bikes for sale Huailai County and Zhangniakou city is just plain too far to go.

There are quite a few used bikes to choose from in Yanqing County and of course even more in Beijing center. Everyone I know here thinks of Yanqing town as their go to town for everything so no one knows much about Hebei province and Sacheng town. So, there being more too choose from in Beijing and the fact that I have more support from Beijing side, I am inclined to buy a bike from Beijing rather than from Hebei.

I have a couple of specific questions around Beijing.

-1) first, checking what I understand from LJH posts: if I buy a used bike with "public" b plates, I don't need a >6 month temp residence paper. I just need a bill of sale and transfer of responsibility document. Is this correct?

-2) Since I live closest to Yanqing County, most used bikes here are "private" B plates. So, without a >6 month Yanqing residence paper I can't transfer ownership, right? But could I get a local trusted Chinese resident to "buy" a bike (with my money) and have him register the private plates? And then could we draw up a bill of sale and a transfer of responsibility document to legally pass it over to me? Perhaps with the help of an agent?