Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hi and some questions 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey guys and girls,

I just registered, been lurking for a while so I though id make myself known.

I have a question for you though. I do realize that China has the insane 71% import tax. So importing any motorcycle is out of the question for me. I was thinking about flying down to India picking up a used bullet 500 for around 8-10rmb and driving it back.

The problem I have with that theory is that used vehicles are not allowed in China.

So hereby lies my question, does anyone have any information on driving a bike through the boarder ? Legally purchased second hand bike from India into China.

Thanks a bunch guys

Marek

2. #2 Re: Hi and some questions 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marek1887 View Post
    Hey guys and girls,

I have a question for you though. I do realize that China has the insane 71% import tax. So importing any motorcycle is out of the question for me. I was thinking about flying down to India picking up a used bullet 500 for around 8-10rmb and driving it back.

The problem I have with that theory is that used vehicles are not allowed in China.

So hereby lies my question, does anyone have any information on driving a bike through the boarder ? Legally purchased second hand bike from India into China.

Thanks a bunch guys

Marek
    Essentially Mareck... the short answer is nope. You won't be able to ride the bike legally across any land border into PRC.

Your options:

1. import it legally using an agent (bike must be new, zero miles) and add an additional CNY 30K one off fee to any duties and taxes;

2. you could try walking the bike through immigration and customs at a PRC land border - but expect major PITA hassles - plus bike will still be a temporary import even if you could get it done;

3. smuggle it in - no legal avenues and status so could lead to a load of faeces;

4. buy a PRC plated bike. If you are into the Royal Enfield look Shineray have a 400cc yesteryear nostalgic model (see my 2014 CIMA report).

The reality is you really would be pissing in the wind trying to bring in a Enfield. Major costs even if you could.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 12-31-2015 at 02:00 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: Hi and some questions 
    Quote Originally Posted by Marek1887 View Post
    Hey guys and girls,

Thanks a bunch guys

Marek
    The main problem is that an Enfield Bullet 500 in China....
    1. Won't be insured so that means any time you hit a pedestrian ebike or cyclist you'll be taken to the cleaners and the police can seize it anytime.
    2. It's a big heavy under powered bike with no parts available here.
    3. You'll have to smuggle it over the border probably in a truck from Nepal or Pakistan, as I don't think there are any direct China/India borders that are open to foreigners.

In short, huge PITA, and dodgy as heck for very little payoff. It could be done, but not sure why you'd want to. I would suggest a Haojue Suzuki GW250 or something similar.
    Without consciousness, space and time are nothing; in reality you can take any time -- whether past or future -− as your new frame of reference. Death is a reboot that leads to all potentialities.

4. #4 Re: Hi and some questions 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi

I'd second the suggestion of the Xy400, I have both an Enfield bullet 350, and a Mash (Shineray) XY400. The Shineray captures alot of the character of the Enfield, but it much easier to ride :-)

IMG_4772.jpg

As you can see, it has a certain classic brit bike look about it.

Cheers

Tony