Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Zontes Monster struggling to start 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi guys,

I bought this bike about a week ago from a private seller here in the UK. Rode it home, no issues. A few days later I'm struggling to get it started.
    When I push the starter button I can hear the sort of 'coughing' noise, but the engine doesn't rumble in to life.
    When I use the kickstart, it'll work after maybe 10 minutes! Not ideal for a quick jaunt to the shops.

I suspected it could be the battery, but I figured the kickstart would bypass any battery needs to get the bike started. I have a battery charger here, it's the one pictured below. I have about as much of a clue about batteries as I do about engines though (which is none) so I don't want to blow my bike, or myself, up.

I've made sure that the killswitch is off and that it's in neutral. I'm holding the clutch when trying, and have also tried with the front brake pulled and left alone. It doesn't seem to make a difference. I've also tried with the choke off, on the first setting and on the second setting. When I have got it started, it was with the choke off (oddly).

When it does start, it'll idle away at 1,000 rpm no problem, no matter how long I leave it. And when I am riding it after, it seems to be absolutely fine!

The weather in the UK right now is cold and wet (if it makes a difference). It's about 5 - 10 C and raining a lot. The bike is kept outdoors, but under a bike cover.

If anyone can help me then I'd much appreciate it. I'm useless at this kind of thing, so feel free to be as patronising as you feel you need to. I'll take the help any way it comes!

Thanks,

KK

51XSBzz6WhL.jpg

2. #2 Re: Zontes Monster struggling to start 
    Check fluid level of that battery 1st
    ===
    Rainy & don't run = Cut the carb's drain hose to \ shape
    Theory: https://translate.google.com/transla...3Ftid%3D100259

3. #3 Re: Zontes Monster struggling to start 
    C-Moto Noob
    Not an expert either i should say first, but riding bikes for around 40 years so have a few ideas from experience.
    I would check the battery first. Kickstarter does kind of bypass battery problems, but in my experience often not entirely.
    In theory the kick start will turn over the engine and while it's turning over will generate the required power for the ignition system and bobs your uncle, running bike. However, if your battery is draining the power from the electrical system because you have a dead/nearlydead battery sucking juice from the electical system as you are kicking it, then it may take some time before you can generate enough power in the ignition system to spark the engine into life. Once it is running the battery issues do not matter as the engine will generate enough power to keep running. If the battery is done and will not charge fully, then while the engine is warm and battery has some juice in it then it will start ok on the electric starter, leave it for a while, power in the battery slowly drains and you will be back in the same boat next time you try to start it.
    Seems to fit, kick it for 10 mins and it starts, then once running is ok. This exact same thing has happened to me in the past on my long gone but never forgotten 400 superdream and a new battery fitted with terminals covered in vaseline solved the problem.
    That bike taught me a lot about repairing motorcycles