Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #21 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    A few comments to compliment what's been mentioned above; China had a great network of prepped mechanics so if you speak Chinese you can get in with the club and those guys stick proper parts. Don't touch oil unless you know the brand, 40rmb Castrol seems like a good deal until it's completely burnt out 500km down the road. A heavy weight 20-w40 Motal or Repsol (~140rmb) will give you a good 3k without issue. The problem is that it's only found in 'real' garages' which are hard to find without proper knowledge.

Every time you change your oil make sure to grease the chain and check your tyre pressures. There's no need for fancy chain lube, you can just slap a load of engine oil on the chain for good measure.

High altitude plugs are a lie, it's the carb needle that upgrading at altitude. I've bought into triple header spark plugs before and they really don't make too much difference at all; we're talking thousands of km of latitude and standard plugs run fine. It's the carb that you should attend to.

If you have any serous issues feel free to email me@ sjskerr@gmail.com for in particulars.

I do apologise if my English is poor or I've missed something because I'm on a very slow phone and I'm slightly drunk due to Bowies death.

2. #22 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by W3HS View Post
    There's no need for fancy chain lube, you can just slap a load of engine oil on the chain for good measure.
    No No No .... That is one of the worst possible things you can do to a chain. The used engine oil contains all kinds of contaminants that quickly destroy o-rings and the rollers. That little bucket of used engine oil with a paint brush sitting outside every rinky dink moto shop is a chain killer.

My 3rd world back up plan for no chain lube... go to a truck stop, get some heavy duty GREASE, smear the chain completely. Ride for 15 minutes, pull over, wipe the excess off.

Cheers!

3. #23 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    New word for today - "Scottoiler".

BTW, no one fitted some full chain guard on bike like YBR? This thing and grease are "winning combination".
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

4. #24 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaV View Post
    No No No .... That is one of the worst possible things you can do to a chain. The used engine oil contains all kinds of contaminants that quickly destroy o-rings and the rollers. That little bucket of used engine oil with a paint brush sitting outside every rinky dink moto shop is a chain killer.

My 3rd world back up plan for no chain lube... go to a truck stop, get some heavy duty GREASE, smear the chain completely. Ride for 15 minutes, pull over, wipe the excess off.

Cheers!
    +1 good chain lube is a must ??? sorry to ask W3HS are you Thail ??? because i am in Chiang Rai just now and i have seen how you guys work on bikes not much better then the Chinese yes bettter but JUST ??? IMO

"Look after your chain, and your chain will look after you" ??

Old engine oil contains nasty carcinogens and teratogens (eg dioxin). Avoid skin contact. If its very used it can also be acidic and cause corrosion when mixed with water, which can happen on a chain.

P.S. After reading some of your post and it seems you are not Thail so please forgive me my wrong but with a remark like
    There's no need for fancy chain lube,you can just slap a load of engine oil on the chain for good measure.
    you just sounded like one of them Thail famer I see on their Honda waves LOL
    Last edited by prince666; 01-12-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #25 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Thanks ChinaV for taking the time to write such an informative post.
    It would be awesome to be able to replace oil after 6-7k km but I recon its impossible on my bike. Even when I used most expensive 15w50 Motul oil, my bike started to complain at about 3-3.5k km, is Spectro oil really twice as good to double the intervals? . I My bike does run a little hotter then it used to. I probably am going to stick with changing the oil cooler though I noticed the way the tubes are attached to the engine is a bit funny and Ill have to find a way to attach the ones from taobao.
    However, didnt have time to dwell on this much as am trying to sort out the legal issues. I hit the wall contacting customs about documents Id need to leave the country and enter again. Nobody seems to know in my little town, they are busy drinking their green tea and posting selfies on wechat.

Their is a friend of a friend in Urumuqi to whom Ill be sending tires and some other stuff. I remember reading on MCM that Urumuqi Yamaha center is nice and helpful so I will visit them for sure. I recon Ill need a check up after Mongolia.

Nice tip about the cables, Thanks.

@W3HS
    Thanks for the info on carbs. YBR250 is fuel injected so no problems here. It does run like a 50cc scooter at around 3500-4000m ;)

6. #26 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Modron, do you need more "things to thought about" concerning your journey? I'm convinced that forum folks can collect buck or two by giving their two cents.

What you mean by "the way the tubes are attached to the engine is a bit funny"? As Chris Rock said - "ha-ha funny" or "this milk tastes funny"? What, fittings are not common?

Two more issues that no one mentioned so far: fuel filter and inner tubes.

What kind of fuel filter/s you have on YBRahim? It seems to me that you'll need really good filters, because no one can guarantee you that you'll fill your bike with decent gasoline in some God-forgotten gas station in some of those #####-stans. I believe that it is not so easy to tamper with clogged EFI as with carb is. Plus, it would be good to find out what is the crappiest gasoline YBRahim's EFI system can digest - in ex-USSR countries you can find RON 76 or 80 gasoline.

Are YBRahim's stock tires tubeless or with inner tubes? I any case, take with you set of matching inner tubes. Also, patches, tools and even can of tire sealant wouldn't be a "dead weight".

BTW, did you checked so far is it all OK with injector, pressure regulator, pump, fuel lines and all those sensors - 40k kms is decent mileage.
    Ask me nothing - I DO NOT speak english. Really...

7. #27 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    sorry to ask W3HS are you Thail ??? because i am in Chiang Rai just now and i have seen how you guys work on bikes not much better then the Chinese yes bettter but JUST ??? IMO

I'm in Thai for the next few days, yeah. Have been here for 2 years and had a proper mechanic see to my bikes, not one of the guys by the roadside. Luckily I had* a belt driven scooter for much of my time here and only had to replace that belt after 15k.

My comment about using old engine oil on the chain is what I had to do before finding any proper lube in China while on the road. It wasn't until the bike had already done 20k that I was able to get some proper spary-on stuff. Still, the chain managed close to 50k before the bike went into retirement.

*Had. Had a nice little scooter until a local cut a corner on Tuesday night and we hit head on. So long scootercycle. :(

8. #28 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by W3HS View Post
    I'm in Thai for the next few days, yeah. Have been here for 2 years and had a proper mechanic see to my bikes, not one of the guys by the roadside. Luckily I had* a belt driven scooter for much of my time here and only had to replace that belt after 15k.

My comment about using old engine oil on the chain is what I had to do before finding any proper lube in China while on the road. It wasn't until the bike had already done 20k that I was able to get some proper spary-on stuff. Still, the chain managed close to 50k before the bike went into retirement.

*Had. Had a nice little scooter until a local cut a corner on Tuesday night and we hit head on. So long scootercycle. :(

Sorry to hear about the crash hope the rider is ok , just one of the problem we encounter when riding in Asia...... next time you find yourself in China and need a good Chain lube just shop on Taobao.

Much better then old engine oil.

What part of Thailand are you based just now
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #29 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    W3HS
    Hope you are ok

Zorge
    Thanks man. I will be updating this thread as I go along with all my preparations. Will got to the technical details later as they are usually easier to solve.
    I have a problem on a legal front now.

I want to leave China to Mongolia, then return, go ti Xinjiang and then leave again. The officials told me I need an ATA which is a Carnet. This thing being a Carnet, I recon, is very expensive. Im not sure yet how much it costs but from what Ive found its USD250 and a deposit of 150% of the value of the bike. Now, I can stomach 250bucks but if I get ATA here (Zhejiang) I probably will have to claim my deposit in Zhejiang too. Im not planning to come back to Zhejiang after I visit Mongolia.
    Is there another way to leave and reenter the country on a bike?
    I know many of your ride out and in. prince666 and bikerdoc you guys always ride between China and Thailand. What paper do you get?

10. #30 Re: Another China to Europe thread. How to prepare old"ish" bike for this trip 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    W3HS
    Hope you are ok

Zorge
    Thanks man. I will be updating this thread as I go along with all my preparations. Will got to the technical details later as they are usually easier to solve.
    I have a problem on a legal front now.

I want to leave China to Mongolia, then return, go ti Xinjiang and then leave again. The officials told me I need an ATA which is a Carnet. This thing being a Carnet, I recon, is very expensive. Im not sure yet how much it costs but from what Ive found its USD250 and a deposit of 150% of the value of the bike. Now, I can stomach 250bucks but if I get ATA here (Zhejiang) I probably will have to claim my deposit in Zhejiang too. Im not planning to come back to Zhejiang after I visit Mongolia.
    Is there another way to leave and reenter the country on a bike?
    I know many of your ride out and in. prince666 and bikerdoc you guys always ride between China and Thailand. What paper do you
    get?
    Hi

For Loas and Thailand only bike documents and Chinese DL is needed ! I will be takeing the same route as you back to the UK in June this year with 2 Chinese riders we are getting a Carnet to be safe but the cost is only 50% deposit to be held as security for the bike so in our case with the CF650G cost US 54,000 Rmb we need to leave about 27.000 rmb + the cost for the document .
    Sorry I can't give much more detail on this matter as the 2 Chinese guys are sorting this out now back in Shandong , but if you need further details I can find make a call and find out more for you.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast